Doing the Power stop pads and rotor upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Exactly why i went with the z36 myself lol ..sometimes especially down hill some ridge racer would cut me off and braking was not very comforting lol ... now braking is smooth and effortless for my truck
I crackup when guys say the 37's or a hardsided camper doesn't affect their stopping power. If you put your five yr old on your back will it be harder to stop and start? Of course.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My Heavy Duty isn't modified suspension. I saw no reason to.

Why do some of you replace the calipers? Nobody I know does this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Just to say they replaced them with the powerstop ones? lol ... what people don't know is that those calipers are actually remanufactured calipers lol .. I rather keep the OEM ones if they are good...

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not ready for brakes yet but just did my daily with stop tech slotted and green stuff pads,which are good for one lap at the autobahn in Joliet then they went to the floor. One thing that didn’t happen that did with drilled is no cracks.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Yeah not sure why you would replace them but I am going to paint mine black. Just to clean them up a bit. I think the factory calipers are a good dual piston setup.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to say they replaced them with the powerstop ones? lol ... what people don't know is that those calipers are actually remanufactured calipers lol .. I rather keep the OEM ones if they are good...
Yep. Look at the casting numbers and some have had the old Chrysler Pentastar on them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75071 miles

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yep. Look at the casting numbers and some have had the old Chrysler Pentastar on them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 75071 miles
I am just going to paint mine when it starts cooling down more , but yes they are OEM calipers re-manned and then sold lol ...

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am just going to paint mine when it starts cooling down more , but yes they are OEM calipers re-manned and then sold lol ...
Same. Going to hit them with some paint. I unfortunately have yet to get the pads and rotors installed. I started to install them but just didn’t have the time needed to beat these rotors off. What a pain in the ass. So I’m hoping to tackle it again this weekend.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Same. Going to hit them with some paint. I unfortunately have yet to get the pads and rotors installed. I started to install them but just didn’t have the time needed to beat these rotors off. What a pain in the ass. So I’m hoping to tackle it again this weekend.
What color are you going with on the calipers?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Probably just black. My truck is silver with black badging and chrome bumpers and wheels so it probably wouldn’t make since to do something else.
I am going to do delmonico red and see if it holds up .... might even do black though since you can't really see the calipers with the wheels I have on my truck lol ...

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am going to do delmonico red and see if it holds up .... might even do black though since you can't really see the calipers with the wheels I have on my truck lol ...
I have the factory chrome 18” wheels so don’t think mine will be seen either. Lol. I just want to clean it up a bit from the nice winters we have here.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My last ram was the delmonico red and loved it when it was clean. Such a beautiful color in the sun light.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't get much brake dust on my wheels, never really though even with the OEM brakes but might be because of the design? ...
Yeah maybe. Mine isn’t terrible unless I’m towing then I will notice quite a bit of dust. I may one day upgrade wheels but I don’t really mind the look of the factory chrome clads.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Finally got the job done. Only had to use a 3lbs sledge and a 3 ft pry bar but they come off. What a pain. So far i really like the stopping power over the stock brakes. Can definitely tell a difference.

What I’m getting now and after I did the proper breakin procedure is when I come to a stop they seem to grind the last 5ft of the complete stop. They don’t make a sound all the way thru the stop just the very end. Maybe they need to break in some more but never had this with any other brake job I’ve done. Gonna tear them back apart if it continues on my drive back home from work.