Drag link weld

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

426power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is another one repeated over and over again...”now I can’t get an alignment”. You can get an alignment, no problem, but, I know people are meaning to say “now I can’t adjust my steering wheel if it is out of center”. You CAN adjust the steering wheel with the welds. And they don’t need to be ground off, either. Think about it...

I never said anywhere that I could not get an alignment. I ground off the welds so the alignment could be done correctly as my steering wheel was out of alignment and I just leveled my truck. Just trying to figure out what your getting at.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is there an aftermarket drag link that can replace the stock drag link?

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
This is EXACTLY what’s happening. The threads could be out of spec on the inside of the adjuster sleeve, and the draglink end could pull right through the threads. The nuts are fine, and them coming loose is not the problem.

There are so many different opinions, interpretations, and whatever else about this topic that makes everything that much more confusing. I have thought about this and I understand this version however if this is the case I find it even more suspicious that a tiny tack weld is the approved fix. If something is under enough force that it can have threads pulled out then how is a small tack weld going to prevent that? If the link can be pulled through multiple steel threads then it can pull apart a tack weld.

I had my truck in for an alignment just this week after some front end suspension and steering upgrades and the shop wouldn't touch it because of the welds. They said they aren't allowed to work on Ram's that have had the recall done. I've decided enough is enough with all of this controversy. I ordered the Synergy drag link yesterday on a Labor Day sale. I'm throwing that thing on there and being done with it. $270 for some piece of mind is worth it for me.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are so many different opinions, interpretations, and whatever else about this topic that makes everything that much more confusing. I have thought about this and I understand this version however if this is the case I find it even more suspicious that a tiny tack weld is the approved fix. If something is under enough force that it can have threads pulled out then how is a small tack weld going to prevent that? If the link can be pulled through multiple steel threads then it can pull apart a tack weld.

I had my truck in for an alignment just this week after some front end suspension and steering upgrades and the shop wouldn't touch it because of the welds. They said they aren't allowed to work on Ram's that have had the recall done. I've decided enough is enough with all of this controversy. I ordered the Synergy drag link yesterday on a Labor Day sale. I'm throwing that thing on there and being done with it. $270 for some piece of mind is worth it for me.
That’s why they do a breakaway test on the welds. If it can’t be twisted away at 77ft lbs, then it’s not getting pulled apart.
That’s too bad your alignment shop can’t figure out one of the two ways to adjust the steering wheel for center without having to mess with the welds. On the bright side, you should be able to get reimbursed for the synergy drag link.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
That’s too bad your alignment shop can’t figure out one of the two ways to adjust the steering wheel for center without having to mess with the welds. On the bright side, you should be able to get reimbursed for the synergy drag link.

They basically said they weren't touching anything to do with it due to the hack welding recall. They were not going to be responsible for messing with it in anyway at all. I just drove home, took a grinder to the welds and adjusted my steering wheel myself.

I'm not counting on reimbursement. FCA shows my VIN as "fixed" and I'm installing the drag link myself. They require proof of installation by a certified shop according to the online form. I'll give it a whirl but I'm not holding my breath.

fullmonte60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
thanks for the pdf 22hemi13. impressive explanation. i'm lucky, my techs at keene dodge in jarrettsville md have it together.

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I going to buy a drag link from chassis unlimited that is cut to order and uses a different design. This welding the DL BS is not a fix but a bandaid on a gunshot wound. What happens when I need to adjust? I will have to buy a new drag link anyway. Ive been trying to get Ram to replace the bad tie rod on my drag link for two years and they keep replacing everything but what I said was the problem. Damned steering shifts on me if i hit a dip or anything that changes the way the tires track the road. Already clipped one mailbox because of it. But they dont see anything wrong!!

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok so what totally stuns me is FCAs response to this entire problem. Here we have a known problem and they are still advocating "welding" as the cure, yet they are reimbursing owners that replace the faulty links with aftermarket products. Why not just have FCA dealers replace the bad part and be done with it? I am NOT welding mine. I have checked the torque and marked the adjuster sleeve. I would just replace the part myself but since it has to be done by a shop to get reimbursed I'll just wait and see if someone at FCA can get their head pulled from their ****** and do the right thing.
(Not holding my breath.)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok so what totally stuns me is FCAs response to this entire problem. Here we have a known problem and they are still advocating "welding" as the cure, yet they are reimbursing owners that replace the faulty links with aftermarket products. Why not just have FCA dealers replace the bad part and be done with it? I am NOT welding mine. I have checked the torque and marked the adjuster sleeve. I would just replace the part myself but since it has to be done by a shop to get reimbursed I'll just wait and see if someone at FCA can get their head pulled from their ****** and do the right thing.
(Not holding my breath.)
The replacement part is the drag link used on the 2019 HDs. There’s absolutely no way the manufacturer of that drag link can crank out 1.5 million plus drag links in a matter of months, let alone quick enough to mitigate the immediate safety issue. The weld makes perfect sense in the grand scheme of things.

tanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500
Engine
6.7 diesel
I've got a 2017 2500 and had the weld done. I wish I hadn't because the dealer screwed the alignment up and steering wheel was off center. Took it back and they straightened out the steering wheel but I still have a slight pull to the right. Truck has less than 12000 miles and I had no issues now what? I don't believe another dealer will fix it, but I could wrong.
Did someone say that if you get the drag link replaced that dodge would reimburse you?

Casey Phalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So when do you think they will get parts to replace it?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
There is no credible defense for FCA on this defect. This is classic, find the cheapest manufacture of the part in Bangladesh and order 1000's. No need to check the thread pitch, land width or,,,does it work as designed. No more quality control. Just buy the vehicle back in each State under the lemon law that applies. If there is a problem,,let the dealer deal with it.
So where is NHTSA. Right where all governments agency's are. Sitting on their fat ass doing as little as possible pretending there is no problem. Lets see, exhaust leaks, cam failures and steering issues. No wonder they wanted to buy Renault and add to Fiat. They want to corner the crap vehicle market. CEO needs to resign and hang out with Comey.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
I got the recall notice in the mail. I called a local dealership, set up an appointment to have this and an oil change done. When I got there, I was told they didn't have the parts in stock to do the repair/recall, AND the guys at the counter told me an oil change for a 6.7L Cummins diesel was going to be around (maybe higher) 250 dollars, as they HAD to use synthetic oil, but they really didn't do too many oil changes on diesels at that site anyway.

Darcars, Silver Spring.

A RAM dealership.

Doesn't. Do. Many. Oil changes. On Diesels.

WTF?

So I decided to do my own oil changes. Cummins says no, just good quality CJ whatever spec oil change.

I replaced tires a few weeks ago, need to get alignment done so I still haven't had the "fix" done.

Don't know WHAT parts they dealer said they were waiting on, but they told me clearly that I was like #7 on the list if I still wanted to wait to have it done, and it was an all-day job.

Um, no.

I've since put about ten thousand miles on the truck (yeah, in about six months), everything's tight, if RAM actually DOES have the right parts available, why are they still hounding me to have the fitting welded?