Dreaded tailgate meets trailer jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

Was away on an ATV weekend and left the tailgate down when I pulled out of the way with my cargo trailer (see attached picture). I had no idea the tailgate is aluminum (so is the hood) therefore it is alot harder to work on. Anybody suffer the same awful fate and what did you do to repair/replace the tailgate. FYI...I'm in Ontario north of Toronto.

TIA

Attachments

• 20231122_125052.jpg
    20231122_125052.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 92

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Is the Tailgate aluminum?!? I've never tried to stick anything to it but that would explain why my hood is bubbling so crapily I thought it looked more like corrosion than paint damage or anything.

OP
OP
Nuke71

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the Tailgate aluminum?!? I've never tried to stick anything to it but that would explain why my hood is bubbling so crapily I thought it looked more like corrosion than paint damage or anything.
Yep, I called my buddy, who is a sales guy at my local dealer, to get his body repair recommendations and he told me that both the hood and tailgate are aluminum and body shops don't like to touch aluminum, if they do, it would be very expensive. Also explains why so much paint chipped off, apparently paint doesn’t adhere to aluminum as well as steel.

So I might look at auto wreckers unless someone on here has other advice.

OP
OP
Nuke71

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, if I can find anybody that will touch it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make sure you use zinc chromate (green or yellow) primer on the aluminum if you're going to fix it. Regular primer doesnt stick to it properly.
Brandon, yep Hood and Tailgate aluminum. BTW: There was a Customer Inquiry and an in shop TSB (not sure is TSB correct name for this), issued on the Hoods. My 5th Gen had the "Hood" re-enforced after I got it by RAM dealer. It still "flutters" in the wind, just not as bad as when I got it. Had mine done in May 2019. Shows in dealer service record, just not "detailed" at Mopar Owners site .com ref service on my truck.

ADDED: You ever get the locker switch done for the 5th Gen 5.7's with the 48-11/12 cases? Cannot remember which one is for the Auto's, which I have.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Was away on an ATV weekend and left the tailgate down when I pulled out of the way with my cargo trailer (see attached picture). I had no idea the tailgate is aluminum (so is the hood) therefore it is alot harder to work on. Anybody suffer the same awful fate and what did you do to repair/replace the tailgate. FYI...I'm in Ontario north of Toronto.
I was scared to order the multifunction tailgate when I ordered my 2022 but I did. The reason is I have not had a lot of luck with tailgates. On my (now gone) 2013 I backed into my dump trailer's gooseneck and destroyed the tailgate beyond repair, I just bought a new one. I was backing my 2015 3500 to hitch our fifth wheel and I forgot to drop the tailgate and fortunately, caught it before too much damage was done. I grabbed my bottle of touch-up paint and so far no rust.

I guess with those lessons learned, I am very careful now. I get out and look, the resolution on the backup cameras needs to be better. Oh, I did put some reflective tape on the gooseneck to further "goof proof" me.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about the "oops" to the tailgate. When it was mentioned that the tailgates are aluminum I had to check mine. I know the hoods are, but didn't think my 2013 was. A couple of years ago I had one of those dent removal companies take out a small dent that was in mine. Came out perfectly and you would never know it was there. So, I just went out to the garage and checked my tailgate with a magnet, and the magnet sticks. My tailgate is definitely NOT aluminum. Maybe the newer ones are ??

OP
OP
Nuke71

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about the "oops" to the tailgate. When it was mentioned that the tailgates are aluminum I had to check mine. I know the hoods are, but didn't think my 2013 was. A couple of years ago I had one of those dent removal companies take out a small dent that was in mine. Came out perfectly and you would never know it was there. So, I just went out to the garage and checked my tailgate with a magnet, and the magnet sticks. My tailgate is definitely NOT aluminum. Maybe the newer ones are ??
Yeah, my buddy didn't specify what year they changed to aluminum. Mine is a 2020 and he said it is aluminum. Should've kept my 2013!

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
When my 2005 tailgate got dented I used Dundee Automotive for a new one.
Of course, shipping to Canada might be expensive..

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming you are or will be engaging a professional Body shop (via your Insurance), they will replace the tailgate, if it is aluminum. I recently had something in my garage overhead storage Fall on the wife’s car, which as it turns out has an all Aluminum hood…..2-3 size-able dents……I went to my trusted local body shop and they told me they would order a new replacement hood - they wouldn’t even attempt to repair the Aluminum hood….

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I found out that Olive Trees are sneaky, they jump out in back of you

2009 Dodge Ram

1701709491603.png
No worries, a little paint & polish ...

1701709692958.png

1701709748477.png

1701709783889.png
The limb that got me
1701710484981.png
===========================

Back when Ford could not pass the new weight standard several years ago, they switched over to aluminum bodies.
Then customers had accidents & Ford Dealerships could not repair the damage.
They had to send the damaged Ford trucks over to a foreign body shop, like BMW to get the repairs done.
Many of the Ford dealerships just did not update their body shops, they still are sending aluminum body work out.

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I called my buddy, who is a sales guy at my local dealer, to get his body repair recommendations and he told me that both the hood and tailgate are aluminum and body shops don't like to touch aluminum, if they do, it would be very expensive. Also explains why so much paint chipped off, apparently paint doesn’t adhere to aluminum as well as steel.

So I might look at auto wreckers unless someone on here has other advice.
You could try the One Stop Goat Shop in Kitchener. They have stuff coming and going all the time. https://www.onestopgoatshop.com/

Aggie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, now 2024
Engine
V-10, now 6.4l Hemi
Interesting. I have a 2024 Ram 3500 and dinged the tailgate recently. All the bodyshops I visited made mention of the 'aluminum' issues, but when I got home I got out a magnet. It sticks. So the 3500s have a steel tailgate still, I guess.

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear that. This is my 3rd tailgate now in 10 years. :(

20231113_100608.jpg
The tailgate & hood on my 2014 are indeed steel.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh . I’d look for a used one . Maybe see if the last steel ones will fit.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't feel bad, I put a John Deere tractor thru mine, got a used one that was pretty good, and backed into a steel post a month later......

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hey all,

TIA
That's about how mine looked after pulling my gooseneck stock trailer over too-steep a transition coming out of a pasture - crimped the top edge of the tailgate and broke the plastic cap:

IMG_6591.JPG

I was able to remove the inside panel and push it back out (2015 2500, since sold). Had to buy a new plastic cap, and sanded and repainted the metal while I had that off.

IMG_4363.JPG

It ended up being a 20/20 job (looked good at 20 feet or 20 mph), but was fine for it being a farm truck. At least stopped the rust!

es

7thday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 has steel tailgate and aluminum hood. Tailgate has been replaced once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat