Drive Shaft Problems.. Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot about this thread. Update on my truck...Still vibrating...Check the front and rear hub runout...Everything was fine, no wraping, etc. I can't see anything wrong with the driveshaft either!

dodgerke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to a slight vibration at 60/85mph, the only thing i can say from the new zf axle that its a piece of crap and chrysler should be a shammed to put this grenade piece under ouwer trucks...

I tell you my story, i made a trip and when comming back home and driving tru holland and getting stuck in a traffic jam i heard a low deep tone scraping noise, everytime a started to rol i got louder and harder, so i pulled over not trushting it, getting it towed to a shop.

The mecanic look'd at it, pinion bearing starting to fail and a lot off play in the diff. But because he didnt have all right parts for the zf to fix i had to wait a little week, after a week i go to the shop to work together on it, piniuon nut was stuck as hell ( lubed out like a baby **** his diapers) even in to the seal there was silicone... The pinion bearing really bad scored ( cheap china parts) friction plates wornout to the metal... So we put all new bearings, not so wornout friction plates because brand new you can't get... Or you have to buy a compleet new diff... And shimed everything perfect and a bit tighter than factory specs. New oil and so on and made a test drive, wel ill be damned the truck had never drivin so good not even when i picked it up from the shop brand new... And after the test drive we got heading home and while driving my girlfriend says " where's the vibration " ? Yes its completly gone not a shiver or anything.

So i think really that its the diff/ rear axle. Next part i am going to do is, putting a detroit locker in it, machining it down, redrill holes and balance it to fit in zf housing, good bye pita...

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I just got my truck back this past friday after the dealer had my truck for 3 days to fix other problems including this issue.

As you can see I have a 2500 with the same issue.

Friday afternoon watching the news I see this on tv and then posted here on RF.
http://www.ramforum.com/f38/huge_recall_840000_rams-39529/

Friday afternoon I called and got my truck into the Ram engineering pool Star Program which is suppose to be Rams chance to solve your issues.

This step is also part of the lemon laws and is supposed to be RAMS first and last chance to fix all issues, before any further action such as dealer buy back or Rams buy Back under lemon laws.

My passenger seat vibrates like a crack ***** in church goin threw with drawl when no one is sitting in it.

Vibration in steering wheel and floor at most speeds.

Of course my dealers Service MGR nice guy and neighbor of mine say he cannot feel any difference and cannot duplicate the vibration.

Then in the next breath says " there are all that way ".

This just pissed me off completely, I am not a person who yells and screams this never has a good affect on any problem you are trying to get fixed.

On my truck he blames the vibration on 1 piece aluminum drive shaft as opposed to drive shaft with center carrier bearing.

Since day one my truck has had issues with problems you can find being talked about here on RF.

I have reached my limit, after figuring how much time I have spent at the dealer running my truck to the dealer for problems and time from my business has cost me $8000.00 out of my pocket in 1 year of ownership not counting the monthly payments.

I take my truck tomorrow to begin the star process,I will keep you posted.

ON EDIT!!

I forgot to mention clunk of drive shaft/rear end when shifting from R to D or lift your foot from skinny pedal say coming to traffic light then traffic light changes and you press on skinny pedal to accelerate back to speed I have clunk in drive train.

Dealer says they are all that way, I call bul**** because this would prematurely wear out ring and pinon gears in the rear end. He then tries to tell me the rear ends are set up close from the factory with only .003 gear lash and he ask me if I knew what that was.

I certainly know what .003 is because I am a machinist and I can machine parts to .00002 millionths !!

I explain that .003 would not translate in to all the free motion when I grab my drive shaft and move it back and forth to show him how much slop is in the rear end.

Last edited:

HDHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the rubber boot is rubbing the shaft clean, my '09 had that. As far as the vibration, do the wheels take STICK-ON weights?