Drive Shaft Problems.. Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am actually in the same boat. 2013 Reg cab with slight vibrations. I just got my truck back from being road forced with roughly 5600 miles on it. The balancing did not solve the problem, but it helped. I know the GY SRA is a crap tire, but I am not sure if the tire is completely at fault. I plan to stay on top of the service department until it is resolved though.

Last time I had my truck to the dealer, they had a brand new QC hemi and my truck on a rack side by side. They lifted both up and let the wheels spin in 4x4. Now both trucks had GY SRA tires but they both had a slight wobble in the back tires. The front didn't have hardly anything. One of my tires was pretty bad and I had the tire shop replace it at no cost to me, but it still has the issue. So it leaves me assuming that either all GY SRA tires are a POS or there is something wrong with the rear end of these trucks. Has anyone noticed this issue with the sports or other models similar to it or is it just in the express models? My dad has a 2010 sport and it has 170k+ miles on it and still rides like a dream.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Well only thing I can contribute here is 2011 they changed to a different manufacture for the differentials. Seems since then there's been issues. ZF is the new company. I have already been in for 1 recall and when ever the pinion nut recall gets done. the 2010 and older Rams have the Corporate 9.25 rear which has been in alot of Trucks/SUVs for a long time with alot less issues.

So in summary I would be surprised its a rear end issue.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Its not the tires. I replaced them and its still there.

Well there goes that idea.. I'm strongly considering trading for a smaller truck just to get rid if the issue (smaller truck cause I can't afford another full-size). It's sounding more and more like a common problem with the Rams in general, so maybe I can wait a bit and they'll be a recall?? One can only hope!

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Great find on the article but I don't think this is the same issue. My truck is not in the MDS mode much if any at 65 - 70mph. That is where I have the vibration...

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That was a good find, but I'm not so sure that's the problem I'm having either.. I've put my truck in neutral and coasted while it was doing the vibration and it didn't change it any from drive. The vibration I have is almost as if it's the axle is out of balance or has play in it or something.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the feeling. I'm still hunting for possible problems/solutions. I don't think the service departments will ever figure out the issue. I still need to put mine on the lift and run the truck while being off the ground. I am also convinced it isn't the tires at this point as well.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know the feeling. I'm still hunting for possible problems/solutions. I don't think the service departments will ever figure out the issue. I still need to put mine on the lift and run the truck while being off the ground. I am also convinced it isn't the tires at this point as well.

The dealer ran mine in 4x4 while up on a lift and I was helping the mechanic look for some possible problems and both back wheels had some wobble. The front had some, but not hardly even noticeable, but that's expected without any pressure being put on the wheels. But the rear wheels seemed a little like too much wobble to be normal.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer ran mine in 4x4 while up on a lift and I was helping the mechanic look for some possible problems and both back wheels had some wobble. The front had some, but not hardly even noticeable, but that's expected without any pressure being put on the wheels. But the rear wheels seemed a little like too much wobble to be normal.

Are your wheels torqued properly?

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Whatever you-all do, don't change the tires. When I did that, Chrysler refused to do anything warranty wise. That gave them something to blame it on.
What a joke!!! I only changed the tires to try and stop the vibration...

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are your wheels torqued properly?

Yes, wheels are torqued. We lifted a brand new '14 up and did the same test and the rear wheels had a slight wobble on them as well.
I have replaced the tires already, but they're the GY SRAs again, so I didn't have any trouble with warranty or anything.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to check the hub runout when I put it on the lift as well. This would take the focus off the wheels/tires as well.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I plan to check the hub runout when I put it on the lift as well. This would take the focus off the wheels/tires as well.

Let us know what you find!

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone know if this is an issue with the sport?

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well my truck has a new sound now. It sounds like I have something real light in the bed that's rattling around anytime I hit the slightest bump in the road. I'm sick of dealing with my truck always having problems, so I think I'm going to try to trade it. I was thinking I couldn't afford another full-size pickup, but I found a 2013 Sport marked down real low. I was reading over the window sticker (online) and it says it has a 3.21 rear axle ratio. That seem kinda odd to anyone else? I didn't even know that the rams had a rear end that was numerically that low.

KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like more people are having the vibration issue since I last posted. Very frustrating!