Drive Shaft Problems.. Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Could be any number of things, and thus significantly hard to diagnose.

I would stick it down the dealership's throat till they fix it. They built the truck, not you. As the manufacturer, they have an obligation to fix your NEW vehicle!

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you rotated your tires since it started to see if the vibration moves to the steering wheel/front end? Just because a tire is new doesn't mean it cant be bad or defective.

Do you have airlifts or air bags of some sort in the rear springs?

Ujoints tight? Pinion nut tight? Wheels being torqued down evenly?

Like mentioned above, it could be a number of things.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you rotated your tires since it started to see if the vibration moves to the steering wheel/front end? Just because a tire is new doesn't mean it cant be bad or defective.

Do you have airlifts or air bags of some sort in the rear springs?

Ujoints tight? Pinion nut tight? Wheels being torqued down evenly?

Like mentioned above, it could be a number of things.

I haven't rotated the tires because it was doing this before I got this set of tires. Dealer said they checked the U-joints. I'm sure they never checked the pinion nut.. And as for the wheels being torqued evenly, the tire shop put the wheels on with an impact wrench, so I would assume they were even.
If anyone just so happens to be under their truck, I am curious of how everyone else's tranny/drive shaft looks. The dealer thinks that the front right axle that they are going to change could be the problem that's making the truck shake. That sound legit?

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Load the truck up with a bunch of weight,comparable to the lumber load you put in the box,and see if the driveshaft slides into the tailhousing to that wear mark.
Looks like normal wear from a truck that's been loaded till it's squats somewhat,and slides the driveshaft ahead.
When the rear of the truck is squatting the driveshaft effectively gets longer,and will push the driveshaft yoke into the tailshaft housing farther,changing the wear mark to where it's farther onto the yoke

KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 1500 CC Sport with 3600 miles now and I have a significant vibration in my seats, not so much the gas pedal.

I took the truck to the dealer and told them I did not notice the vibration until about 2600 miles and they were persistent that I must have not noticed it until now and that it was always there. The service manager even told me that he has the exact same truck and his has had the same vibration all along.

I told him that this is unacceptable from a brand new vehicle so they performed the road force balanced and rotated the tires. The vibration is maybe marginally better but still there (45 mph and up). They said the road force variation acceptable limit is 23 lbs and I started at 17 lbs and am now at 13 (Road Force Touch GSP9700 - The World's #1 Diagnostic Balancer). They did not charge me and told me they will let me know if Chrysler comes out with anything. To me, this is acknowledging that there is a known issue.

If this vibration is a normal occurrence with the Rams, then their QC department is terrible. Nobody wants to look like Muhammad Ali and Michael J Fox while driving a $50k vehicle at such common speeds. I love this truck, but I am already looking to trade the damn thing in. Aesthetics are nothing when ride quality is compromised.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2013 1500 CC Sport with 3600 miles now and I have a significant vibration in my seats, not so much the gas pedal.

I took the truck to the dealer and told them I did not notice the vibration until about 2600 miles and they were persistent that I must have not noticed it until now and that it was always there. The service manager even told me that he has the exact same truck and his has had the same vibration all along.

I told him that this is unacceptable from a brand new vehicle so they performed the road force balanced and rotated the tires. The vibration is maybe marginally better but still there (45 mph and up). They said the road force variation acceptable limit is 23 lbs and I started at 17 lbs and am now at 13 (Road Force Touch GSP9700 - The World's #1 Diagnostic Balancer). They did not charge me and told me they will let me know if Chrysler comes out with anything. To me, this is acknowledging that there is a known issue.

If this vibration is a normal occurrence with the Rams, then their QC department is terrible. Nobody wants to look like Muhammad Ali and Michael J Fox while driving a $50k vehicle at such common speeds. I love this truck, but I am already looking to trade the damn thing in. Aesthetics are nothing when ride quality is compromised.

I finally got the dealer to realize something is wrong with mine as well. The mechanic seems to think it's the tires (even though I've bad them balanced 3 times and rotated also) so he's going to take the wheels off of a brand new truck and put them on my truck to see if it fixes it. If not, he'll be digging into the drive shaft, axle, etc.. I'll find out something Tuesday hopefully. I've already had my truck in there 5 times, so I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I would trade it right now if I could get the same truck but keep the same payments, but I'll be losing too much $$$ on it.. Oh well..

KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got the dealer to realize something is wrong with mine as well. The mechanic seems to think it's the tires (even though I've bad them balanced 3 times and rotated also) so he's going to take the wheels off of a brand new truck and put them on my truck to see if it fixes it. If not, he'll be digging into the drive shaft, axle, etc.. I'll find out something Tuesday hopefully. I've already had my truck in there 5 times, so I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I would trade it right now if I could get the same truck but keep the same payments, but I'll be losing too much $$$ on it.. Oh well..

Let us know how it turns out. I read a post how one member changed the good year wranglers along with different wheels and the vibration went away. I also read a few posts of people doing the same thing with no luck. A few posts I found also mentioned members with new Outdoorsmans and Express's having the same vibration so it sounds like it's across the board and that "it's just something these trucks do" from what the service manager says.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Let us know how it turns out. I read a post how one member changed the good year wranglers along with different wheels and the vibration went away. I also read a few posts of people doing the same thing with no luck. A few posts I found also mentioned members with new Outdoorsmans and Express's having the same vibration so it sounds like it's across the board and that "it's just something these trucks do" from what the service manager says.

I had a load of steel in the bed of mine the other day (not a whole lot but maybe 300lbs) and it rode like you were constantly going over speed bumps. Almost as if the rotors were terribly warped and you were riding the brakes. They're going to take a look and see what they find

KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a load of steel in the bed of mine the other day (not a whole lot but maybe 300lbs) and it rode like you were constantly going over speed bumps. Almost as if the rotors were terribly warped and you were riding the brakes. They're going to take a look and see what they find

Any update?

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any update?

Went to the dealer Tuesday and the mechanic put the rims and tires on my truck from a brand new ram and he thought that it made the truck better. I was on the ride with him and I didn't think it rode any better. Found out though that when I got new tires that the tire shop put on miss-matched tires. Got the correct tire put on today (didn't pay for it cause it was the tire shops mistake) and I'm taking my father-in-law in the morning to get a new four wheeler. Once I see how it rides with the four wheeler in the bed, I'll know if the tire done the trick. I honestly don't think it's a tire problem. I think it's a bent axle or something. But I'll know for sure if it was a tire deal tomorrow

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I too have a 2012 Ram Express. I have had it for 18 months and it has done this since new. I even replaced the tires and now the dealership says Chrysler wont do anything since I changed them. They want to charge me to do the road force balance. I have had them balanced twice and it hasn't helped. Still have the shaky seat. I hope someone finds out what is causing it...

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 2wd did the exact same thing. Took it in 3 times and they did the usual, road force and balance. All that seemed to do is change the speed at which it was most noticeable a little. They even replaced 2 tires for free, but still didn't help. I rotated the tires, but it did not seem to change the vibration.
I am starting to think they may have an axle issue. My 2013 RT does not seem to have a problem, but unless I'm wrong, it is a different axle.
gc_harvey, have you tried finding a nice level area, like a parking lot, and driving at around 10-15mph? See if it feels like the truck is rocking. That's what mine did.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Turns out that one of my tires was a little bit warped. I got it replaced and it's not as bad, but it still has a little bit of a bounce to it. I've accepted the fact now that it's just the way it's going to be. I'll drive it till it breaks, or until I hit the 100k mile warranty mark...whichever comes first! I did notice today that it's started to have a real deep hum to it when I'm going 25-30 mph. It almost sounds like a grinding noise. I put it in neutral and coasted a bit and it kept doing it, so I don't know what it could be. Any of you have that problem?

KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I will just have to go back to a Ford. A 5 year 100,000 mile warranty is sh** when they can't fix a vibration in the rear end that clearly seems to be initiating from either the drive train or the frame. Wonder if this is a Lemon Law candidate?

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looks like I will just have to go back to a Ford. A 5 year 100,000 mile warranty is sh** when they can't fix a vibration in the rear end that clearly seems to be initiating from either the drive train or the frame. Wonder if this is a Lemon Law candidate?

I'd like to know how it would hold up against the lemon law. I'd love to get the problem taken care of.. I don't know if I can take it for 100k+ more miles. As for ford, that's for sure not going to happen! I had an f-150 blow an engine with less that 110k miles. Not to mention the lack of power that it had. I'll go Toyota before ford. Or just stick with Ram and get a Cummins!

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the dealership notices that there is a problem then they should fix it.
You definitely need to find a solution. Lawyer maybe. Unless you just have the money to not care. I'm sure you worked hard for what you have and this is BS.
Don't let them do this to you.

OP
OP
G

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the dealership notices that there is a problem then they should fix it.
You definitely need to find a solution. Lawyer maybe. Unless you just have the money to not care. I'm sure you worked hard for what you have and this is BS.
Don't let them do this to you.

Don't know about anyone else, but I definitely don't have the money to not care! I can barely afford to take off work to go over to the dealer. I'm just ready to give up on it considering that a lot of other people are having this same problem and no solution is being found. I am, however, about to get new wheels and tires so maybe that will fix it. We'll see about it. If anyone one else finds the solution to this problem, please post it on here so everyone else can know what to tell the dealer to do to fix it. I personally can't afford a lawyer, or else I'd go that route.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am actually in the same boat. 2013 Reg cab with slight vibrations. I just got my truck back from being road forced with roughly 5600 miles on it. The balancing did not solve the problem, but it helped. I know the GY SRA is a crap tire, but I am not sure if the tire is completely at fault. I plan to stay on top of the service department until it is resolved though.