Driveline noise with light acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_Man34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
When accelerating lightly I occasionally get a noise between 1-2k RPMS. It is low rumble noise from the driveline, only happens when I lay into the gas pedal lightly. If I gas it harder the noise goes away or let off the same regardless of speed or RPMS although usually only happens at low RPMS. Sounds like from the rear but the sound resonates throughout the vehicle so hard to say for sure.

The best way I can explain the noise is that it is the same noise a vehicle with a manual transmission makes when going too slowly in 2nd or 3rd. Except that this is an auto transmission. So maybe just the same thing happening?

I plan to figure this out and maybe have a more experienced friend take a listen, before I dig into it any Ideas what this might be?

OP
OP
Ram_Man34

Ram_Man34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant really hear anything over the loud exhaust leak sounds like your manifolds did you check things like ujoints rear diff fluid trans fluid ect? Unless the exhaust manifold leak is the noise you are talking ab.

OP
OP
Ram_Man34

Ram_Man34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Cant really hear anything over the loud exhaust leak sounds like your manifolds did you check things like ujoints rear diff fluid trans fluid ect? Unless the exhaust manifold leak is the noise you are talking ab.
I listened to the videos, can only hear the noise in the first one.

I did find something concerning, the transfer case has 2 mounting bolts underneath it, one was loose and the other one is missing.
The exhaust leaks are there but thats not the noise. Differential, transmission and transfer case are all full. Transmission is a bit over full.
I haven’t checked the u-joints thoroughly yet.

The headers have had exhaust leak issues due to the fastening bolts backing out, when i got it a few years exhaust leak was very bad. I took it in to my friends shop and he fixed the issue by getting them machined flat but Ive had to retighten the bolts a couple times since.

OP
OP
Ram_Man34

Ram_Man34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
A little update, had a friend take a look and it sounds to him like the noise is from the torque converter.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've actually had a similar noise/rumble for a few years now in mine. Pops thinks it's the torque converter as well, but I'm just not sure. Is there any way to "test" a torque converter?