DRL and Raptor Style Grill Light Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a complicated wiring/truck settings question that I can't find a straight answer to that I was hoping someone here can help with.

I have a 2019 Classic. I have had raptor style grill lights on it for a while that I tied into the running lights. I just got alfaobd and enabled the DRLs and set them to my turn signals (I don't have projectors) and made a few other minor tweaks.

I my ideal setup is that I want my grill lights to be on with my DRLs and stay on when my headlights come on. I know how to wire that with a 5 pin relay. My problem is I can't figure out how I can tap the DRL circuit. My understanding is that the turn signal DRLs use the same wire as the turn signal so I can't use it or they will flash with the turn signals.

Digging around on the forum, I found a few posts talking about the dedicated DRL wiring. I think I have the dedicated wiring coming out of the harness under the fuse box, but I need to do some more digging to make sure. If I do, does the truck power that circuit whenever the DRLs are supposed to be on, or only if the DRLs are set to "Dedicated DRL"?

Is there any other circuit on the truck that gets power only when the truck is in gear like the DRLs?

My fall back is that I will just power them whenever the truck is running, I just really want them to function the same as the DRLs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have working DRL, can you just splice a wire off the relay to a wire coming out of the housing that's working as yoir DRL?

Using a tap for it is a quick solution? Haven't tried what you're talking about, so I really don't know. But that's the easiest thing I can think of

OP
OP
Bfrawls82

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you have working DRL, can you just splice a wire off the relay to a wire coming out of the housing that's working as yoir DRL?

Using a tap for it is a quick solution? Haven't tried what you're talking about, so I really don't know. But that's the easiest thing I can think of

If I do that with the current setup (DRLs set to turn signals) the grill lights will blink when I use my turn signals, won't they. I believe the turn and DRL use the same wire. The BCM just controls what it is doing on that single wire (on solid or blinking). Unless I am misunderstanding how the electrical system on the truck works.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your DRL's don't turn off when the turning signals come on, then they are still getting 12-14v, and some current. If you tap that to your relay pin to keep the gate open, then you shouldn't lose the current going to your grille.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just depends where you tap into for your relay. If you do it right behind the headlight housing, before it gets to the computer, you should be good.

OP
OP
Bfrawls82

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just depends where you tap into for your relay. If you do it right behind the headlight housing, before it gets to the computer, you should be good.

I don't understand what you are saying. Isnt the wire coming from the BCM? Or is there another return wire or something? I haven't pulled the headlight housing and looked yet, but I assume there is just a hot and a ground for the turn and a hot and ground for the parking circuit.

OP
OP
Bfrawls82

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your DRL's don't turn off when the turning signals come on, then they are still getting 12-14v, and some current. If you tap that to your relay pin to keep the gate open, then you shouldn't lose the current going to your grille.

My DRLs are the turn signals. So when I turn on a blinker, that one starts to blink and the other stays solid.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ohhhh well damn... it's a long shot, but you could find the ignition wire under the dash, or the "remote" wire for your stereo. Tie off of that, they should only be hot when the truck is running.

I get what you're saying now about the DRL only being on as a turning signal, that wouldn't work. Sorry, just misunderstood that earlier.

OP
OP
Bfrawls82

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ohhhh well damn... it's a long shot, but you could find the ignition wire under the dash, or the "remote" wire for your stereo. Tie off of that, they should only be hot when the truck is running.

I get what you're saying now about the DRL only being on as a turning signal, that wouldn't work. Sorry, just misunderstood that earlier.

Ya, having them on whenever the truck is running is my fall back. Was just hoping someone here, had a clean way to do what I am trying to do.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Digging around on the forum, I found a few posts talking about the dedicated DRL wiring. I think I have the dedicated wiring coming out of the harness under the fuse box, but I need to do some more digging to make sure. If I do, does the truck power that circuit whenever the DRLs are supposed to be on, or only if the DRLs are set to "Dedicated DRL"?

Is there any other circuit on the truck that gets power only when the truck is in gear like the DRLs?

My fall back is that I will just power them whenever the truck is running, I just really want them to function the same as the DRLs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Read through this thread to locate the wiring needed and how to add the dedicated DRL circuits to your truck. I've read people with '17 & '18 have used this to add them, your '19 should be the same.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/
When you set up the DRLs with AlfaOBD, do not enable the turn signal drop out and the lights should stay light up when the truck is in gear without the parking brake set. I'm having a brain fart but I think the dedicated DRLs turn off when the headlights are turned on.

OP
OP
Bfrawls82

Bfrawls82

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Read through this thread to locate the wiring needed and how to add the dedicated DRL circuits to your truck. I've read people with '17 & '18 have used this to add them, your '19 should be the same.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/
When you set up the DRLs with AlfaOBD, do not enable the turn signal drop out and the lights should stay light up when the truck is in gear without the parking brake set. I'm having a brain fart but I think the dedicated DRLs turn off when the headlights are turned on.

I want to have the turn signals AND have my grill lights. Not use my grill lights instead of the turn signals.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I want to have the turn signals AND have my grill lights. Not use my grill lights instead of the turn signals.
I missed the "and" ..lol
You might have to try doing a diode set up similar to mtnrider but taping your current turn signal which are being used as DRLs. You would use the diodes to keep power from back feeding into the opposite turn signal.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I believe you could do this and get what you want based off my diagram? You could substitute the blinkers for the parks but it's the same bulb, just a different filament.
Enable the dedicated line in Alfa and tie it into the parks and add another line (with diode) for the running lights. That way when the dedicated circuit is one they are all on but individually they still operate as they should. I would also add another diode on the BCM side of the running light wire to prevent the dedicated DRL from back feeding the BCM running light circuit (like I did for the park circuit).

Park DRL_running.jpg