What kind of headlights do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I understand my truck may have either Standard (non-projector) or Projector headlights. Can anyone tell me what kind of headlights I have? I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x4.

I'm interested in replacing them to include some with LED DRLs.

Question: I don't believe I have the DRL option enabled. Could I wire these using a relay which would be tapped into the side marker lights to trigger them to come on with those?

IMG_6713.JPG

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You have the quad halogen headlights.

As far as DRL, if you have AlfaOBD, you can enable the DRL function for the high beam.

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you! I don't have AlfaOBD. I did a quick Google search. It looks like this is available for Android or Windows? If I have this, does it let me program in the DRL sales code (I think it's 'LM1' or 'LM5')? Looks like it works with a code reader. Can you recommend a compatible one?

Ideally, I'd like to enable the side markers for DRL (not the main headlights). I thought I'd read somewhere that this was code LM5, but the table says that's for Projector style. Any insight to this?

drl codes.png

SaltyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi 5.7
Thank you! I don't have AlfaOBD. I did a quick Google search. It looks like this is available for Android or Windows? If I have this, does it let me program in the DRL sales code (I think it's 'LM1' or 'LM5')? Looks like it works with a code reader. Can you recommend a compatible one?

Ideally, I'd like to enable the side markers for DRL (not the main headlights). I thought I'd read somewhere that this was code LM5, but the table says that's for Projector style. Any insight to this?

View attachment 229197

Hey there!

AlphaOBD is the program used to make changes to your BCM, but before that you need to invest in an OBD adapter.
The most recommended one I’ve seen on the forum is the OBDLink MX.

After you have acquired both hardware and software needed, you may be able to find the solution to your question here:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
AlfaOBD is an app you purchase that allows you to make changes in the BCM (Body Control Module). When I had my 2018 I used AlfaOBD to make changes to the headlight (LED/HIDs). I used the side marker/turn lights as my DRLs. I just changed the setting in the app to the BCM and my turn/marker lights were set as my DRL.

AlfaOBD can also be used to diagnose issues too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Question: I don't believe I have the DRL option enabled. Could I wire these using a relay which would be tapped into the side marker lights to trigger them to come on with those?
As others have stated, you can enable DRLs with AlfaOBD. You can set the Highs, Lows, Fogs or Turn signals as DRLs. Don't enable the DRL drop-out if you use the Highs or Lows as DRLs.
If you upgrade the headlights that have a separate DRL in them, you can add the DRL circuits to them, I did on my '15 Outdoorsman.

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As others have stated, you can enable DRLs with AlfaOBD. You can set the Highs, Lows, Fogs or Turn signals as DRLs. Don't enable the DRL drop-out if you use the Highs or Lows as DRLs.
If you upgrade the headlights that have a separate DRL in them, you can add the DRL circuits to them, I did on my '15 Outdoorsman.

crash68
When you added the DRL circuit, what was involved with that? Is there a fuse/plugin that you connected to which was controlled by the ignition? Could you explain some more? Thanks in advance

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When you added the DRL circuit, what was involved with that? Is there a fuse/plugin that you connected to which was controlled by the ignition? Could you explain some more? Thanks in advance
There is actually two that circuits added, one for each headlight. Being your truck is an Outdoorsman the wiring harness under the fuse block should already be populated on pins # 8 - (Left DRL Lamp) and #23 - (Right DRL Lamp) from the BCM. If those are there then you'll want to contact M² Mods for the extended pigtails for DRL circuits. To enable the dedicated DRL circuits, I used AlfaOBD. The DRLs turn on when the truck is in gear and the parking brake is not set, they drop out depending on which turn signal is activated. I even enabled the DRL enable in the 8.4 radio to turn them off completely.
I have a set of Alpharex headlights that dedicated DRL brow lights.
IMG_20190713_153703618.jpg

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
crash68-
(I don't know alot yet, but I'm learning...)

Thanks for showing me how you setup your lights. That looks to be what I'd like to do. I took a look at my fuse box and I'm sure what I'm looking for. There are marking for 'F' & 'K' numbered fuses. Neither F/K8 or F/K23 seemed to note anything related to DRL on the key. I'm attaching photos of the fuse box in case you're able to ID anything for me.

Also, do you have a part # or better description of the DRL wiring harness from M2 Mods? Is that to wire from the DRL headlight wire to the fuse box? If so, where is the wiring harness near the fuse box?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6721.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I took a look at my fuse box and I'm sure what I'm looking for. There are marking for 'F' & 'K' numbered fuses. Neither F/K8 or F/K23 seemed to note anything related to DRL on the key. I'm attaching photos of the fuse box in case you're able to ID anything for me.

Also, do you have a part # or better description of the DRL wiring harness from M2 Mods? Is that to wire from the DRL headlight wire to the fuse box? If so, where is the wiring harness near the fuse box?
The wiring harness plug you need to look at is under the fuse box, there is four clips and it will pull up enough to get under it. The plug is clipped to the front (closest to the headlights), it slides sideways to remove it. Once out look on the plug for the you'll see the reference numbers on edges to determine which pins are what.
For the wiring ask @Mpgrimm2 (M2 Mods) for the DRL extended length pigtail wires for your '14, he should know exactly what your asking for as I've sent a few people his way for them.
I'm guessing your possibly a UofM fan(Go Blue!), you went there, or even live in Michigan? I'm in the Detroit area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, I'm a huge UM fan (didn't go there). It's been rough this year. Each Sunday, I look at the news to see if Harbaugh still has a job...

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@crash68
I got these instructions from a headlights seller. Looks like they're for the Alpharex. From these, it looks like you might be able to use the DRL function without having the DRL feature enabled?
https://alpharexusa.com/09-ram-headlights-installation-guide/?v=f24485ae434a

There's a DRL harness included which looks to connect to the power leads for each headlight's LED brow light. It then connects red & black to the battery, and a gray wire taps into an existing fuse (F66) on the fuse block. I assume this is an igntion-related fuse, so the lights should only come on when the ignition is on.

So if I don't have the DRL feature enabled on my truck, I could still have these run in a DRL mode by wiring it this way, correct?
And if I do enable the DRL feature (AlfaOBD), would I need to rewire to the DRL harnesses you mentioned under the fuse box?

Am I understanding this correctly?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's a DRL harness included which looks to connect to the power leads for each headlight's LED brow light. It then connects red & black to the battery, and a gray wire taps into an existing fuse (F66) on the fuse block. I assume this is an igntion-related fuse, so the lights should only come on when the ignition is on.

So if I don't have the DRL feature enabled on my truck, I could still have these run in a DRL mode by wiring it this way, correct?
And if I do enable the DRL feature (AlfaOBD), would I need to rewire to the DRL harnesses you mentioned under the fuse box?

Am I understanding this correctly?

If you use the DRL "module" that comes with the headlights, they will just turn on when you start the truck and stay on till you turn the truck off. You don't have to enable anything with AlfaOBD if they're wired that way.
If you want the DRLs to function like factory where they turn on when the truck is in gear you need to add the wiring noted above and enable them with AlfaOBD

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@crash68 I popped open the fuse box and found the large gray plastic harness underneath. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I disconnected it and show both sides. One is the pinned end and the other side has a bunch of wires running into it. Does the DRL integrate with this part?

If so, how?
Is this gray plastic harness what the DRL harnesses connect to?

Photos aren't great, but they should show what I'm referring to.

(I may be taking baby steps, but I think I'm moving forward)

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6724.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I popped open the fuse box and found the large gray plastic harness underneath. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I disconnected it and show both sides. One is the pinned end and the other side has a bunch of wires running into it. Does the DRL integrate with this part?

If so, how?
Is this gray plastic harness what the DRL harnesses connect to?
If you look on the part of the plug with the black latch on it, you will see real small numbers, those are the pin #s your looking for. Count across left to right. If you look at mine(see pic), you can see the #8 on the plug next to the white with yellow stripe wire.
IMG_20201203_152647426~2.jpg
The #23 wire is the white w/orange on the next row down (near the bottom of the pic). You'll want to make sure the other half of the plug has wires going to both of those. They should be there as these trucks are based on the SLT trim level.
If you do add the wiring, you'll find a white cap inside the plug on the side you put the wiring into. That cap needs to be pryed up slightly before inserting the wires.

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@crash68 I got a better look at that harness. On mine, it looks like the #8 slot isn't wired. It has a blue plug in it (see photo). Does this mean no DRL pre-wire for me?

IMG_6728.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@crash68 I got a better look at that harness. On mine, it looks like the #8 slot isn't wired. It has a blue plug in it (see photo). Does this mean no DRL pre-wire for me?
You have the plug the new DRL wires go into, look at the other on and check #23 also. If you follow the wires coming out of the plug half you have in that picture, the go into the front fender area(headed to the headlights).

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@crash68 sorry, I'm still confused about this. Do I need to pull the blue plug out of that #8 socket and insert a new wire, or do I do something on the other end of the plug? Could you walk me through this a little more? I'd really like to get this setup if possible.

Let's call the end of the plug you see in that photo the 'front' end and the other end the 'back' end. What do I need to do on either end to connect the DRL wiring?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@crash68 sorry, I'm still confused about this. Do I need to pull the blue plug out of that #8 socket and insert a new wire, or do I do something on the other end of the plug? Could you walk me through this a little more? I'd really like to get this setup if possible.

Let's call the end of the plug you see in that photo the 'front' end and the other end the 'back' end. What do I need to do on either end to connect the DRL wiring?
The front plug is where you'll add the new wires, the back plug is the one you want to check for the existing wires.
When you go to add the new wires to the front plug, that blue plug in #8 and a smaller yellow plug in #23 will be removed (those plugs are weather seals). The new wires will have weather seals and the terminal crimped on.

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so if I check the back plug and there are existing wires which correspond to the front plug locations, I should still be able to do this?

Will that DRL wiring harness extension you mentioned have wires with sealed plugs so I can just remove the old plugs and insert the new wires (on the front plug)?

Last edited: