Dual Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK - I am specking out the options on a New RAM3500 DRW and see the option for Dual Altenators - what does that give me in electrical options?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you need to extra power of the dual alternators for running a snow plow or a large capacity winch all the time, the standard or high capacity single alternator is plenty of power to run everything you'll need for your truck.
Most of the time people need a second battery instead of a high capacity charging system, as in the case for a winch, stereo system, etc.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Same voltage, just double the amperage output. Hydraulic pumps and such on snow plows rigs can draw north of 100 amps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well maybe here is what I really want to know. Is there a 110 plug in available inside the truck bed to power an accessory?

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Well maybe here is what I really want to know. Is there a 110 plug in available inside the truck bed to power an accessory?
I had a single alternator and had one of those. It comes with the gooseneck prep package, if you have the 110v option inside of the truck.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If there is a 110 volt inverter on board, they are only really rated to charge laptops and other smaller current draw things. Looks like you have to get laramie longhorn trim and above to get it standard.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't waste yer time with the lil 110V in truck. Older were good for 100 Watts, newer were 400 watts. U just gonna be able to charge a phone and such. Nothing, nothing heavy duty. U wanna do HD stuff, U would need to get like a 2000 W full sine inverter and wire in.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Second alternator powers extra stuff when the truck is running and an extra battery powers extra stuff when the the truck is off (and provides extra current to start a diesel).

My F-250 had dual alternators which was uncommon in personal applications (fairly common in commercial applications like ambulances, etc.). While it was great to have that extra juice it was twice as expensive to maintain/repair. If I was ordering a truck I would go with a high output single unless I was adding power-hungry accessories.

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That answered my question - I was wanting to maybe charge batteries on my 5th wheel RV - doesn't sound like it would work very well.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That answered my question - I was wanting to maybe charge batteries on my 5th wheel RV - doesn't sound like it would work very well.
From what I've read in a couple discussions lately, the 7pin wiring is pretty small and can't push enough current to really charge RV batteries. Better off getting a solar panel IMO.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My dad only had a single alternator in both his HD trucks and towed his RV trailer regularly (his last one was a 40+ foot 16.5K lb 5er) and never mentioned wishing he had a second alternator in his 40+ years of RVing.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what I've read in a couple discussions lately, the 7pin wiring is pretty small and can't push enough current to really charge RV batteries. Better off getting a solar panel IMO.
Oh, it will charge them, it just trickle charges them at around 2 - 3 amps. It's enough to keep a fully charged battery topped off, but if you've been camping and ran your RV battery down 50% don't expect it to be charged up again by the time you get home unless you're driving cross-country.