Duratrac vs Ko2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I'm running the KO2 on my 1500 and I to had the great debate over the duratrecks or the KO2's. They both provide long wear as long as you maintain them. I've had the dura's but find the KO2 a much quieter tire. Also having the sever snow rating helps as my insurance company gives me a discount for running them in the winter

Duratrac's are Severe winter rated also.
I love my 'tracs. Can't hear them on the highway like some of you mention. Seem quite quiet.

Ps, I run 70 miles highway daily.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had both and I prefer the duratracs. I didn't wear out either set but I'd guess the kos would have lasted longer. Tread life was all I liked about those. Duratracs on the other hand were unreal in any terrain I put them through, rode great, noise wasn't bad as longer as you maintain them. And the wear is pretty decent. I had 35-40k on them and could have got another 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't had either. My brother swears by bfg, everyone else I talk to think they suck and they are an old design... I'm rocking the terra g2 and they have done everything I have asked them todo, for 32.7 they are 198 a tire where 33 are 299 a tire! All my friends run duratrac and LOVE THEM!
The tires are completely different though! He bfg is an a/t where the dura is a hybrid tire. The dura are in between mud and at

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Duras aren't as good in the snow as I was hoping, probably because they're 13 wide though.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This would actually help you in the snow.

Wide tires arnt as good as skinny tires in snow. The key to driving through snow is cutting through it, and skinny tire is better at that.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Wide tires arnt as good as skinny tires in snow. The key to driving through snow is cutting through it, and skinny tire is better at that.

False. The key is traction. The larger the footprint, the more traction. Tires dont "cut" through the snow, they compact it. They aren't Moses.
03-1374323359.gif

Reactions: PCT

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Only thing wide tires are good for is sand.. Skinny tires do better in everything else.

Reactions: jbr

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If these are so bad of tires, why are they rated so high on every major tire poll?

I spent nearly 2 months going through sites, reviews, and speaking with owners of AT tires. There are a lot of good tires and KO2, Duratrac, Cooper AT3, and Nitto all are ranked very high. Michelin are in some polls also. Take your pick and decide for yourself!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
False. The key is traction. The larger the footprint, the more traction. Tires dont "cut" through the snow, they compact it. They aren't Moses.
03-1374323359.gif
This is a yes and no answer. At higher speeds in slushy/snow covered roads a narrow tire will work better, less contact area to be affected by the road conditions. At slower speeds a wider tire will net the best traction. That's why a lot of people either put stock or smaller tires on in the winter.

I've run a lot of different tires. Most in the 33x12.5-35x12.5. Duratracs were good. Had some noticeable sidewall flex for the first ~2000 miles. Bfg at were also decent (never had them on a truck only on a wrangler) mt's (both old style and new) both did well in the snow but didn't get a lot of mileage out of them. Nitto trail grap also did fairly well. Currently running fierce attitude mt and they seem to handle snow pretty well. Never used toyo tires. To many mixed reviews on 3/4-1 ton trucks.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
03-1374323359.gif

Going through snow is easier than compacting it (pushing it).

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Only thing wide tires are good for is sand.. Skinny tires do better in everything else.

:roflsquared:
Wrong.
6" vs 12"

Mud. More tire grabs more mud allowing forward momentum. If the mud is shallow enough to dig to the bottom with a skinny tire then a wide will.
If no bottom, you want the wide tire flotation.

Sand. Wide for flotation,

Dry pavement. Think drag racing. Wide.

Deep snow. Like mud.

Rock crawling. Wide has more surface to grab onto rocks.

Ice. Skinny. More weight per square inch could equate to more traction IF your running a designated WINTER ONLY tire. But a winter only tire in a wide will work just fine.

Rain. Tires in good shape work. Wide or skinny.

Dirt and gravel roads. Really, no difference. Both work.

So really, actually little benefits from a skinny tire. Except fuel mileage.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Going through snow is easier than compacting it (pushing it).

If your vehicle is struggling in two to three feet deep snow and you regularly drive in it, get a new higher horsepower engine.
If your struggling in 6" snow, your engine is ******.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If your vehicle is struggling in two to three feet deep snow and you regularly drive in it, get a new higher horsepower engine.
If your struggling in 6" snow, your engine is ******.
If you're driving through 2-3' of snow on a regular basis, you don't need a truck you need a sled or snow cat.

You can have a 1000 hp a be stuck in 1" of snow. Hp isn't a issue, traction is.

Why do you think those river race cars (whatever you call them) use skinny tires, less drag through the water while getting the most traction.

You're never going to have the right tire for every occasion. If you live in a area that sees a lot of snow you're better off have a winter set of tires or just live with what you have on your truck

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
:roflsquared:
Wrong.
6" vs 12"

Mud. More tire grabs more mud allowing forward momentum. If the mud is shallow enough to dig to the bottom with a skinny tire then a wide will.
If no bottom, you want the wide tire flotation.

Sand. Wide for flotation,

Dry pavement. Think drag racing. Wide.

Deep snow. Like mud.

Rock crawling. Wide has more surface to grab onto rocks.

Ice. Skinny. More weight per square inch could equate to more traction IF your running a designated WINTER ONLY tire. But a winter only tire in a wide will work just fine.

Rain. Tires in good shape work. Wide or skinny.

Dirt and gravel roads. Really, no difference. Both work.

So really, actually little benefits from a skinny tire. Except fuel mileage.

How many of these have you actually done with both wide or skinny tires? And no one said a 6" wide tire? Not a damn Amish buggy wheel. I know for a fact that my dads truck went thru snow and mud better on a 34x9.50 tire than my old truck did on 37x12.5 tires. And wide tires on wet pavement getting good traction compared to a normal width truck tire, no way.

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
If you're driving through 2-3' of snow on a regular basis, you don't need a truck you need a sled or snow cat.
(Depends on what you call fun)

You can have a 1000 hp a be stuck in 1" of snow. Hp isn't a issue, traction is.
(Bald tires or summer tires will do that. I don't see a good winter rated tire stuck in an inch of snow.)

Why do you think those river race cars (whatever you call them) use skinny tires, less drag through the water while getting the most traction.
(Sure, in deep water and a solid bottom. Kinda specific. Most of us don't drive our trucks at WOT in four feet of water)
(Wait a minute, how wide are those 4-6 foot tall tractor tires? Bet there wide as were talking.)

You're never going to have the right tire for every occasion. If you live in a area that sees a lot of snow you're better off have a winter set of tires or just live with what you have on your truck
(Agreed)
:):)

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
How many of these have you actually done with both wide or skinny tires? And no one said a 6" wide tire? Not a damn Amish buggy wheel. I know for a fact that my dads truck went thru snow and mud better on a 34x9.50 tire than my old truck did on 37x12.5 tires. And wide tires on wet pavement getting good traction compared to a normal width truck tire, no way.

Actually, all of these situations I have done and still do.
I was doing this before you were born. You've been driving about 10yrs? Or less?
I've been doing this for over 30yrs. For play and work.
6" and 12" were used as an example. Think outside the box.
Your tires vs dads tires. Unless they were the exact same tire except size, bad comparison.

Last edited: