Easy Install of Drop Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I've seen the videos of people installing the McGauphy's and Maxtrac 2" drop shackles on youtube and pulling the tires and using jack stands and all that. This morning I decided to put a set on my truck, an 04 QC, and decided to try a short cut. Below is the step by step procedure as I did mine.

I chocked the front tires, removed the nut from the bottom bolt, loosened the top nut so when free the shackle wasn't in a bind, then had my brother jack up the rear with a floor jack under the hitch, very slowly till I could remove the bottom bolt by hand, then removed the top bolt, then the stock shackle. I then installed the new shackle with the top bolt, leaving it loose, then slowly lowered the jack until I could slip in the bottom bolt by hand, then installed the nut on it, also leaving it loose. I then went to the other side and did the same process and the whole time I left the tires on. No need for jack stands with the tires on right? I then lowered it to the ground and removed the floor jack, and tightened all 4 bolts.

This whole process took maybe 40 minutes.

I used a T55 torx wrench, a 13/16 combination wrench, and a 13/16 ratchet. (A breaker bar may be necessary for some but I didn't need it for mine.) This is much easier than all the business with jack stands and removing tires. etc,,,

Hope it helps some of you guys,,,,,,,,,,,