Easy Upgrades for Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layercakesss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Hey guys,

First time owner, long time leasee of Rams. I purchased my first Ram yesterday and I’m going to start a list of things to upgrade for better overall quality and longevity of my truck. Truth be told, I’ve never been a “car guy” and I’m not the most mechanically inclined (specific to cars). But, I want a nice vehicle that I own and I want to make my vehicle a great, long-term driver.

So, my question is: what would be some things you would do, off the rip, to help enhance your truck? I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock with a 5.7L V8 and roughly 36k miles. I know this is specific to engine, but I’m open to hearing all opinions! Cheers!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You will need to tell us how the pickup will be used. Pavement only, daily driver, long drives only, mild off road occasionally, heavy off road a lot, type of off road terrain, towing and if yes weight and type of things towed etc. How the vehicle will be used the majority of the time will make a huge difference to recommended modifications.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread is a good place to start for easy mods that (mostly) improve the experience just using and driving the truck before jumping in to bigger mods.

OP
OP
Layercakesss29

Layercakesss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
You will need to tell us how the pickup will be used. Pavement only, daily driver, long drives only, mild off road occasionally, heavy off road a lot, type of off road terrain, towing and if yes weight and type of things towed etc. How the vehicle will be used the majority of the time will make a huge difference to recommended modifications.
Sure thing! It’s my daily, my main driving circle is a ~5mile radius of pavement only. I do hunt quite a bit, so there is some dirt road driving in northern Michigan. I’ll get some pics too, but I have Tint, Running Boards, Bed Liner, and Tonneau Cover

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Except for adding a winch, canopy, good gravel protection, and good off road tires, my pickups are pretty much bone stock, even though they spend 70%+ of their time not on pavement. They are used on pavement, gravel and dirt trails and I tow some but not a lot. I too do a lot of hunting and fishing.

Heavy off road work is done with a Jeep, quad or SxS. The pickup is used to transport the off road machinery and accommodations.

For the use case you outline, most of the mods beyond those I just mentioned will be cosmetic. The basic truck is well capable of doing what you want of it.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with @Dean2, I think some good AT tires (probably 3 peak rated for Detroit), some good mud flaps and rubber floor mats (I love our Husky for both), and then start using it for your regular uses. If there are any shortcomings, they'll show themselves and you can address them as they come up.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cliff notes from the oil filter thread: Use the bigger oil filters.
Fram xg2 or rp 20-820
If they don’t fit xg10575 or rp 20-500
High Molly 5w30 oil - changed every 5k religiously.

Don’t bother with air intakes - waste of money; drop in filter is all you need. K&n or purolatorONE tested at the top.

Thicker Rear sway bar

I ended up buying another set of rear headrests to use up front as the angle of the fronts bothered my neck.

*Edit: when looking for AT tires I would recommend you research tire weights, rolling resistances, toughness etc. on tiredriver.com, tirerack.com’s test results etc. - they have a good bit of info.

I ended up with the P rated Falken AT3 (love them) as I too am 90% on road.

Last edited:

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regular fluid changes and general upkeep.