Eighth mile times?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also curious. Ran a Johan tune in my 2011 300C, good times.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious to see how Johan makes out on your tranny tune,he's got a bit of a rep,lol. The upper limit seems to be about 6450,but everybody is still on the learning curve for the tranny,and it seems like much more then 6,000 on the 1-2 will put you in limp mode even with the limiters raised,but like I say,it's still a learning curve for most tuners.Make sure you post up your findings with Johans tranny tuning,as there's a few of us curious,lol.

I'm curious as to what rep... IMO he's the best Hemi tuner there is. My Jeep made 801 to the wheels on Johan's startup tune. Haven't been back on the rollers, but it was well north of 800 when I sent it in for the current build. That was mostly Johan. When it comes back, we're shooting for 1600-1800, and it'll fire up on the startup tune he gave me for the new build. Then I'll have him dial that in too. Trust is something that's earned, and in the past 6 years he's never let me down, nor has my Jeep ever suffered any tuning related failures. I've also beat every Hemi powered vehicle that's lined up with me. Some even tuned by Johan. But his tunes are a little conservative to protect you. However all you have to do is ask and he'll give you what you want. I like gobs of timing. LOL! To each their own, but I don't let anyone tune my vehicles but him. Nuf said on that.

He can only do so much on the tranny until they get the tuning figured out. From my understanding, the HP stuff is still in beta too. I'm sure they'll both figure it out...

But chances look pretty good that Bandi won't get rained out Wednesday, but this is Colorado, so never bet on the weather. I'm hoping to get in the 14's as is. Bone stock, except for a K&N filter and a tune. My Mopar LSD is sitting in the shop waiting to be installed. Maybe next week. That and a couple of revisions from Johan should seal the deal! Not sure if I'll push it any further. This is just to keep me pacified until the Jeep returns. It's my race vehicle.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More details on the Jeep build please!

Just click on the Wink's Hobby link in my sig. The site is in transition. At 800+ I called it the Flying Pig. The new beast will be called Pigzilla. So you'll see references to both on the Mods page. I've got all the mods I can remember listed, and plenty of pictures. But if you have any specific questions I'm more than willing to share. I have no secrets...

Thanks for the interest!

wink

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just happened to look at the 1/4 sticky. How are there 2 N/A 12 sec guys? Mind you I haven't done any research, but there are plenty of guys with forced induction struggling to get into 13's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That list is outdated as hell.

If I recall, Matt got into the 11s NA in his 6 spd RCSB.
Jay Greene ran 12.14 NA in a quad cab 8 speed.
I know of several other people running mid 12s NA in a variety of trucks.

Power adder trucks are all over the 12s and some in the 11s.
Matt went deep into the 11s when he sprayed his
I ran 12.23 in a mostly stock full weight crew cab 8 speed on spray.

It's really not hard anymore. These trucks, and the people that tune them have come a long way in the last few years.

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 Express QC 4WD has the 8 speed and 3.92 LSD rear.

With a 93 octane tune, Vararam, ported TB and Magnaflow muffler it ran 8.87 @ 79.0 MPH in the 1/8 mile with a 1.98 sixty foot time. That was on the stock 20 inch Goodyear tires.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
My 2014 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 Express QC 4WD has the 8 speed and 3.92 LSD rear.

With a 93 octane tune, Vararam, ported TB and Magnaflow muffler it ran 8.87 @ 79.0 MPH in the 1/8 mile with a 1.98 sixty foot time. That was on the stock 20 inch Goodyear tires.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR!! Thank you for your input. I now know what to expect from my truck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm curious as to what rep... IMO he's the best Hemi tuner there is. My Jeep made 801 to the wheels on Johan's startup tune. Haven't been back on the rollers, but it was well north of 800 when I sent it in for the current build. That was mostly Johan. When it comes back, we're shooting for 1600-1800, and it'll fire up on the startup tune he gave me for the new build. Then I'll have him dial that in too. Trust is something that's earned, and in the past 6 years he's never let me down, nor has my Jeep ever suffered any tuning related failures. I've also beat every Hemi powered vehicle that's lined up with me. Some even tuned by Johan. But his tunes are a little conservative to protect you. However all you have to do is ask and he'll give you what you want. I like gobs of timing. LOL! To each their own, but I don't let anyone tune my vehicles but him. Nuf said on that.

He can only do so much on the tranny until they get the tuning figured out. From my understanding, the HP stuff is still in beta too. I'm sure they'll both figure it out...

But chances look pretty good that Bandi won't get rained out Wednesday, but this is Colorado, so never bet on the weather. I'm hoping to get in the 14's as is. Bone stock, except for a K&N filter and a tune. My Mopar LSD is sitting in the shop waiting to be installed. Maybe next week. That and a couple of revisions from Johan should seal the deal! Not sure if I'll push it any further. This is just to keep me pacified until the Jeep returns. It's my race vehicle.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

wink

The comment wasn't meant as anything slanderous,but even in Canada we've heard of Johan,lol.So as I said he has a rep,but in a good way,and i'm curious to hear how he makes tuning the 8sp when Diablo does release their tuning.Sounds like a wicked Jeep,WK1 or WK2 variety.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The comment wasn't meant as anything slanderous,but even in Canada we've heard of Johan,lol.So as I said he has a rep,but in a good way,and i'm curious to hear how he makes tuning the 8sp when Diablo does release their tuning.Sounds like a wicked Jeep,WK1 or WK2 variety.

No worries. I have a few Jeep buddies up there. And my best bud is married to a Canadian girl. Great folks! I don't take a lot of this stuff too seriously. Just a bunch of gearheads sharing and learning, and of course speaking my mind. It's my only flaw. LOL! Thanks for the Jeep comment! It's a 2010, the last year of the WK1 body style. I like it better than the WK2 as I think it looks more aggressive with the factory rake. But I like both.

Doesn't look too good for Bandimere tomorrow. Lots of rain, already started today, and I'm predicting a cancellation. Then up to a foot of the white crap Thursday. I was out playing a bit today and I love the little leap when it shifts now. But I'm gonna have to go back to stock and return the tuner. Just ain't working for me. Hopefully they'll get me my Trinity before next week. I'll report back when I've got some toon'd passes under my belt.

wink

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No worries. I have a few Jeep buddies up there. And my best bud is married to a Canadian girl. Great folks! I don't take a lot of this stuff too seriously. Just a bunch of gearheads sharing and learning, and of course speaking my mind. It's my only flaw. LOL! Thanks for the Jeep comment! It's a 2010, the last year of the WK1 body style. I like it better than the WK2 as I think it looks more aggressive with the factory rake. But I like both.

Doesn't look too good for Bandimere tomorrow. Lots of rain, already started today, and I'm predicting a cancellation. Then up to a foot of the white crap Thursday. I was out playing a bit today and I love the little leap when it shifts now. But I'm gonna have to go back to stock and return the tuner. Just ain't working for me. Hopefully they'll get me my Trinity before next week. I'll report back when I've got some toon'd passes under my belt.

wink

LOL I feel for your buddy. Just looked at your profile,that's a little sleeper WK1 you have there,nice dyno numbers:naughty:. There's a few quick SRT's running around Alberta,there's still some money left in this province,:roflsquared:

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the "new" Pedal Commander you might have to re-adjust your process leaving the line. With the instantaneous throttle response, if you try to leave on the last yellow light you may end up red lighting. Might be trial and error the first few times IMHO
Jay

Interesting point, but I think with the rollout being and extimated .4 that's not gonna happen.
It may launch a bit quicker but no matter how fast you open the TB
the truck still as to move and that's the real issue, getting that much weight moving.

I have had to launch on the 2nd bulb and still cutting.1xx lites.

Like you said, trial and error.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you've got a trinity, you can trial and error before ya get to the track :)

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's always been trial and error. Cutting a good light is an art that's perfected through lots of practice. Even in the nationals there's usually a holeshot win or two. And those guys are pros in the show. I've tried programs that simulate a tree, but they never seemed to help me. But I might be beyond help. Maybe because I don't launch with my finger or mouse. ;) I've cut an .001, and numerous single digit lights, though never a perfect light. I've found when I really try I usually go red. If I don't concentrate on it too hard, I usually do ok.

In the Jeep it never really mattered due to the power and AWD. It comes off the line so quick and hard, I'd usually just leap ahead of the other lane, no matter how late I was. My best 60' was 1.498. It's usually in the 1.5xx range. In the RAM, not so much. I was cutting .4's and .5's, yikes! That sucks! And my best 60' was a 2.300. So I tried hitting it on the 2nd amber and only dropped to .3. I don't think it's me as much as that ZF tranny. It just sits there for a moment before moving. If the weather ever lets me make some passes we'll see if Johan's tune helps in this regard. Can't speak for the earlier models and trannys, but the same principles apply to all launches. Try different methods, brake launching, hitting it from idle, trans brake, etc.. Different methods work better or worse for different vehicles and tracks. For example with my Jeep a hit from idle will penalize me .2 on ET vs brake launching. Many races or won or lost in the first 60 feet...

wink

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you figure it out, lemme know. I don't frequent the track and don't have the time for the trial and error, but sure would love to know the best launch tactic for the Rams!

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Im on my way there tonite! 80 degrees out and sunny here in buffalo ny!! Ill let you all know what transpires with the lights... although its also a local radio station cruise night, so i may not get too many passes in. Its usually very crowded at these events.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP:
couple passes,
8.954@ 77.97
8.939 @ 78.10

My 2014 Crew Cab big horn, vararam 180 tstat hemifever tune, cat back.

dropped the tail gate, all tools etc and spare tire.

1/4 tank gas.

TC off.

Helmet on.

Sean has sent me a new tune with more low end power and different Tq management, I have not gone to the track with it yet.

Launch in auto 4wd , when 2nd amber is fully lit and best RT was .173

I let the truck shift.
Given more practice I would set the range with the STUPID LITTLE BUTTONS at 1-3 and wind her out to 6100-6200 and shift to 4th. although I would start shifting at 6000, cause I don't know how long it takes to shift.
reason: the 1-2 and 2-3 come up way to fast, the 3-4 I should be able to control/ time correctly and the 4-5 even better.

even better when we get adjustable shift points( via diablo) Ill try them out.

With my mods, 6k to 6200 is plenty high.

have sinc

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
OP:
couple passes,
8.954@ 77.97
8.939 @ 78.10

1/4 tank gas.

TC off.

Helmet on.

Sean has sent me a new tune with more low end power and different Tq management, I have not gone to the track with it yet.

I let the truck shift.
Given more practice I would set the range with the STUPID LITTLE BUTTONS at 1-3 and wind her out to 6100-6200 and shift to 4th. although I would start shifting at 6000, cause I don't know how long it takes to shift.
reason: the 1-2 and 2-3 come up way to fast, the 3-4 I should be able to control/ time correctly and the 4-5 even better.

have sinc
AWESOME bud!! I feel i should be able to lock down 9.4-9.5 easy then.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP:
couple passes,
8.954@ 77.97
8.939 @ 78.10

1/4 tank gas.

TC off.

Helmet on.

I let the truck shift.

You can keep your Diablo engine tune,and still tune the tranny using HP's software.If Sean isn't doing it,you can check with Jay,i'm pretty sure he's tuning with both now,tranny tune with HP and engine tune with Diablo

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AWESOME bud!! I feel i should be able to lock down 9.4-9.5 easy then.

I'd think a little better than that. Not sure where you are, but I run at Bandimere here in Colorado. Track is at 5860 feet, plus the weather, means the DA is usually in the 8-9k foot range. Altitude sucks! That means I'm around a second slower than those at or near sea level. My best 1/8 of 9.837 @ 72.40 corrects to 8.928 @ 78.71 at sea level. So looking at other's times in this thread I'm right about where I should be for nothing but an K&N air filter element. Can't wait to see where Johan's tuning will get me.

wink