Electric Power Steering. Tried it all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryceFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L vvt
Car Details: 2016 Ram 1500, 3.6L vvt FLEX fuel, 86k miles.

It was a rainy day. Pulled out of a parking lot hearing the dreaded clunks then BOOM powersteering became shot.

Codes recovered:
P0457, C121C, P0349, P0390, P06DD, U1424,P1DD2, P06DD, P0440, P0457

Used a circuit tester to test both the fuse in the fuse box and the fuse on the terminal linked to the steering.

Also used the circuit tester right where the wires link to the power steering rack. Circuit tester showed positive.

Really hoping I don’t have to shell out 2k$+ to replace the whole steering rack. Any ideas on what to try?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try opening it up to diagnose what failed. Not sure how many people have done that. Or find someone to send it out to repair it possibly?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Clean the snot out of the connectors with a plastics safe electronics cleaner. Can't hurt to try anyway. Good luck!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If all your fuses good, and you clean/reconnect all connectors, dang good possibility that lil belt in the EPS has gone awry.

OP
OP
B

BryceFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L vvt
If all your fuses good, and you clean/reconnect all connectors, dang good possibility that lil belt in the EPS has gone awry.
where can I find this little belt? Got a picture of it? if its inside the rack then will i need some sorta sealant or gasket to replace when i open that suka up?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
where can I find this little belt? Got a picture of it? if its inside the rack then will i need some sorta sealant or gasket to replace when i open that suka up?

I've seen the belt itself sold on eBay, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

The only YT video I've found on the Ram belt is this one:

https://youtube.com/shorts/uUBGzX7XxMY?si=X1E1tCQrTfrtFCT9

It's not very good IMHO. Very little detail but you do get to see the unit with the cover off of it. I'm pretty sure it's accessed from the passenger side.

There are tons of Ford PS belt videos though. I imagine there's not a huge difference between the Ram and Ford units.

OP
OP
B

BryceFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L vvt
o

It's not very good IMHO. Very little detail but you do get to see the unit with the cover off of it. I'm pretty sure it's accessed from the passenger side.

There are tons of Ford PS belt videos though. I imagine there's not a huge difference between the Ram and Ford units.
oh crap id need to take the whole thing apart… doesnt look like theres anyway to do this while normally prked

OP
OP
B

BryceFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L vvt

Also, it still steers… its just gota put some forearm grease into gettin it to turn

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
o

oh crap id need to take the whole thing apart… doesnt look like theres anyway to do this while normally prked
I found a YT video describing replacing the PS unit. The left front wheel and fender liner have to be removed to do that. I'm not sure if that would be needed to replace the belt but I have a feeling it would be needed to be done.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Found a you tube video of a guy doing one on a F150, looked about the same as the one for RAM, while he had the unit removed, later said could be done so without removing the unit.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wouldn't it be easier over all to go ahead and remove the whole unit? Even IF it took a little longer, at least the job could be done on a bench.

40 plus years ago I would have done it on the truck, but, I've also rebuilt a lot of car engines in the car also.
Now, I can't do all those floor exercises like I once could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500