Electric Power Steering. Tried it all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wouldn't it be easier over all to go ahead and remove the whole unit? Even IF it took a little longer, at least the job could be done on a bench.

40 plus years ago I would have done it on the truck, but, I've also rebuilt a lot of car engines in the car also.
Now, I can't do all those floor exercises like I once could.
Doing it in truck means no real chance of screwing up the steering wheel or clock spring,and if you're real careful counting the turns on the inner tie rod,you might even get away with-out needing a wheel alignment afterwards.I'd still have the alignment done,but if you're due for tires soon,you could wait till you had new tires installed to do the alignment ,as long as it steers okay

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I did one off the truck, I would pop the tie rod ends loose and remove it all as one piece.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I did one off the truck, I would pop the tie rod ends loose and remove it all as one piece.
If you do remove it,make sure you tie or jam the steering wheel so it can't turn. The old trick was a rope through the wheel,then close the door on the rope,so the wheel can't move. I think if i was doing this job,i'd probably do it with the rack still bolted in place,less chance of having issues with the steering wheel.Just my opinion though.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steering angle data is stored in the clock spring, you for sure don't want to move the steering wheel.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looked to me like the inner tie rod just threaded down right to the end of the ballscrew on the EPS.

If thats the case, easy-peasy, just pop outer from knuckle, and unscrew the inner?

Also looked like there is a large threaded piece that holds the ballnut in place on the EPS unit, my concern would be not overtightening that and binding the ballnut. Looks like the ballnut spins in place, and the screw moves right or left to steer?

Please, correct me if I am wrong about this. I'd like to get a better understanding of it, just in case, cause I damn sure cannot afford a new EPS if mine decides to take a dump, esp if it's only a belt.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do remove it,make sure you tie or jam the steering wheel so it can't turn. The old trick was a rope through the wheel,then close the door on the rope,so the wheel can't move. I think if i was doing this job,i'd probably do it with the rack still bolted in place,less chance of having issues with the steering wheel.Just my opinion though.
I usually run the seatbelt through the steering wheel then buckle it works great.