Engine Break-In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sb8005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is a widely debated topic, but I am concerned due to my new RAM 1500 and the little things I am noticing about the way it upshifts and downshifts, and a sort of 'dragging' feeling when touching the gas. This mostly occurs at low speeds (in traffic) where there is a lot of stopping and going or slow rolling.

I have heard that new engines / transmissions need time to 'break in' but also I have heard that the new engines don't need this time. What do you guys think?

Anyone deal with this same issue? I posted a short description of this issue in my first post but would like to repost in this section of the forums as it is more appropriate for discussion here.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have not noticed this in my new truck, as far as breaking in some say to pound on it while some say drive in a normal fashion. I am no expert in the breaking in process though this is not from a lack of new vehicles but rather the amount and high turn over rate of new rides. I drive in a normal fashion for the approximately 12,000 miles I tend to keep vehicles, this may result in long term damage. Can't say for sure mind you.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
From what I was told by a ZF engineer-->This 8HP70 Transmission has a pretty decent learning curve... When New and When the battery is unhooked for a amount of time... The transmission will some what learn your driving style and adapt to it... I have no clue if the 8sp is constantly learning or stops after a while...

As for break in thoughts... I feel the first 1K miles are pretty critical... This is my first New Ever Auto and my last! So I asked thousands of questions...

For the first 1k miles I did very little stop and go driving... Mostly Highway and Interstate... Speeds ranging from 55 to 85... Never a constant speed for more then a few miles... I never did any WOT runs and still have not yet! There were many Brisk Runs from 30 mph to 85 mph but nothing insane!

After the first 1K miles was over I changed oil and drove it like I intended to everyday...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The owner's manual has a short piece on "break in" where they say to put 500 miles on the truck without towing near capacity and if you go on a road trip, vary the speed now and then. A few WOT blasts are also hinted at, just to seat the rings.

Also, driving around town in full auto kinda sucks with respects to low RPM acceleration. I drive in town in manual mode and only shift to full auto when on the freeway at speed. It make for a much better driving experience and doesn't build a lot of heat in the transmission.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
For the first 500 miles limited ground speed on Highway to 55 mph in accordance with manual using factory fill PYB.
Accelerated and deaccelerated between 45 to 55 mph during first 500 miles.
No jack rabbit starts for first 1000 miles.
Also ascended some 6 to 8% grade hills at 55 mph during first 1000 miles.
Hill climbing is the best.
No payload or trailer load for first 1000 miles.
No cruise control for the first 1000 miles.
Fast accelerations for first 500 miles.
After 1000 miles changed factory fill to group 3 full synethic.
Some say to use factory fill conventional up to 5000 miles.
Too much evaporation and soot for 5000 miles on conventional.