Engine chatter upon startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im guessing that would interfere with their ability to get CAFE credits/money/discounts/whatever from the government.

2016 and earlier had "5W-30 is acceptable if 5W-20 cannot be obtained" in the owners manual. 2017+ lost that note.

While we dont know just how many cams and lifters are wiping, my bet is a LOT of people have the fix done at a dealership. So that is just more money in FCAs pocket, which leads to even LESS reason to change anything in an attempt to actually fix the issue.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well now this is interesting. EDIT, not my truck, it's another member's who apparently has an honest dealer to work with.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/shop-says-need-new-camshaft-tappets.147470/

Took the truck, into the Dealership, due to (what I believed) was broken Exhaust bolt chatter, Drivers side.
Had the passenger side, done,awhile back and figured to get drivers side done, b4 I ran out of warranty.

Service Advisor calls me up and said what I was hearing was from bad Tappets.
Oil was draining down, overnight. When engine started, the Tappets chattered until oil pump could lift the oil, up to the top of the engine.

Said it would need new camshaft and tappets. Once they were inside, they would see what else was needed, if anything, but this is common issue for Hemi's that idle a lot and generally Cam/Tappets took care of it. Mostly Cop cars and the like.

Odd, since my truck hardly ever idles and is mostly doing 70mph, down the interstate.
Parts should be in, by Tuesday with the Truck work done by Thursday, unless they find it needs more internal repairs.

Everyone has been pleasant as Rainbow,thus far. Put me in a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Rental.

Had my pick and neighbors been talking of getting one.
This way, she can drive it, to her hearts content. without pushy salesperson.

Searched the forum and internet. Seems oil seeping down,thru tappets, is not uncommon and reason guys go with 5W-30W, though still researching all that.
Truck has never had anything but PUP 5W-20W.

Will keep you guys informed.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, parts by Tuesday? Last I heard all of the cam and lifter stuff was on national backorder for weeks.

Is this on your 2019? Im not quite sure I would want them opening up such a new truck.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, parts by Tuesday? Last I heard all of the cam and lifter stuff was on national backorder for weeks.

Is this on your 2019? Im not quite sure I would want them opening up such a new truck.

This is not my truck, it's a post from another member on the forum.

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on my 2014 with 62k. Running pennzoil platinum since new.

Brought my truck in for a few recalls that needed done and my drivers door switch was inop. Also asked them to look at my tick and see if manifold bolts were broken. My truck has never had broken bolts yet.

Service manager calls and says manifold bolts are all good and none broken and it’s lifter noise and will probably get worse over time. They want to pull the engine apart and look at lifters and cam. I’m leaving it for a few days while they tear it down. So far a good experience with this dealer, I did travel 180 miles to my fathers local dealer where he buys his jeeps. Small town, last dealer local to me said noise was normal, this dealer seems to know of the lifter issues so I’m hopeful.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Update on my 2014 with 62k. Running pennzoil platinum since new.

Brought my truck in for a few recalls that needed done and my drivers door switch was inop. Also asked them to look at my tick and see if manifold bolts were broken. My truck has never had broken bolts yet.

Service manager calls and says manifold bolts are all good and none broken and it’s lifter noise and will probably get worse over time. They want to pull the engine apart and look at lifters and cam. I’m leaving it for a few days while they tear it down. So far a good experience with this dealer, I did travel 180 miles to my fathers local dealer where he buys his jeeps. Small town, last dealer local to me said noise was normal, this dealer seems to know of the lifter issues so I’m hopeful.

You may have said this somewhere in the thread already, but are you still under warranty?

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to pick the truck up from the dealership today after them having it overnight to diagnose the problem. Of course they can’t hear anything wrong, yet again. So I recorded the startup in their lot and walked right back in to the service advisor and showed him the startup. His response was, “oh that noise? That happens on every truck. It’s totally fine. Nothing to worry about”. Are you kidding me? I will be trying the oils other member have suggested to shut it up a bit. Here’s the video from the dealership.
That's the exact sound mine makes sometimes and usually once it's started and shut off before warm up and restarted soon after.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust Manifold bolts probably busted. Happened to me just last week. Dealer fixed it, no more noise.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust Manifold bolts probably busted. Happened to me just last week. Dealer fixed it, no more noise.

I will try to get a video....mine is in the "moved it to one side of the driveway and turned it off" position right now. Can pretty much guarantee my next startup will have an awfully loud clatter for a few seconds that just goes away by itself.

Not until the engine gets warm (i.e. exhaust manifolds) and not permanent (i.e. Hemi tick), just for a few seconds.

I will take a vid with my cell phone but experience has shown for some reason my cell phone seems to amplify noise, so it wont just sound BAD it will sound HORRENDOUS. In person it wont be quite as loud, though.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
mine has had a chatter i noticed first when i did a quick startup shutoff pulling it into the garage when i thought it was going to hail. being in the garage sounded quite noisy. just that few seconds chatter. didn't really notice it again until a few weeks ago on startup and now i've heard it 3 or 4 times. only 6600km on the engine, 3300 on the first oil change. i am taking it in monday morning for a failed cruise control switch so i've told them to check out the startup chatter when cold. even if it doesn't do it for them or nothing is done at this point, i want it noted on record that i heard the noise in case i need to refer to it in the future. i have an oil catch can on it so i thought, ****, i better remove it. then i decided..fk that. we know, mechanics know its a good thing and that it has nothing remotely to do with this type of issue, so i'll leave it on. see if they comment on that:) i know Wild one's wife has a Challenger I think, under warranty to, has one on his and i bet he never removes it and hasn't had an issue with it. (and takes it to the same dealership).

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my truck did that 1-2 second chatter 3 times brand new from 20km to 400km ..drain factory oil and filter ..replaced with qsud 5w20 and mopar filter and hasnt done it since.. now 2700km on truck

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
good to know but that's only 3 times. to be honest, sometimes i'm not absolutely sure i'm not hearing things unless it kind of whipsnaps my head from noticing it while i'm thinking about something else. i'm actually going to ask my service dealer about running a heavier weight oil and if it would violate the warranty (a 30 weight, whatever is the best the dealer can provide) see what they say. i haven't pulled out my manual but it seems to me someone said yesterday 20 is the recommended weight in the manual, where i took it to be engraved in stone for warranty purposes.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my truck after getting it back from the first dealer saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Lifters rattling is clearly audible.

My truck is now in the shop again at another dealer. it's been at this one for 5 days so far.

I'm having to rent this 5th gen truck while mine is at the dealer.

I thought it would be interesting to show a video of it starting up. It has about 4,000 miles on it, about the same as mine.

No lifter rattle after sitting for about 2 days.

If the lifter rattle is "normal" why doesn't this 5th Gen do it?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my truck after getting it back from the first dealer saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Lifters rattling is clearly audible.

My truck is now in the shop again at another dealer. it's been at this one for 5 days so far.

I'm having to rent this 5th gen truck while mine is at the dealer.

I thought it would be interesting to show a video of it starting up. It has about 4,000 miles on it, about the same as mine.

No lifter rattle after sitting for about 2 days.

If the lifter rattle is "normal" why doesn't this 5th Gen do it?
Because that one is still for sale :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: my 2014 Ram was doing the same thing. I posted that in this thread. Someone posted about Liquimoli friction modifier additive so I looked it up. I liked what read and bought some. Very reasonable price. Added a can to my just changed oil and took a nice long drive. I do notice smoother idling and smoother revving. I've also not been able to get the lifters to rattle. I've tried four times, no rattle on start up. Just my two cents.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk