Engine Mod's....which are worth the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrimeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got my 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I'm still working on winning the lottery and finding a a better job in this "wonderful" economy, but I still want to do some mod's with what little extra money I have. So, which mod's are actually worth the money?
1. Throttle Bottle Spacer
2. Cold air intake
3. Cat-Back exhaust
4. Programmer
5. High Performance spark plugs?

And if they are all good mod's, which should I start out with first?

If you're answer is to look through the previous forums, please don't bother leaving an answer. Just because I am new to this forum, doesn't mean I am new to all forums. Thanks.

Knotts89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely do 2,3, and 4. I have that stuff done on my truck and it made a nice difference. Especially the tuner. That's were I saw the most gains. Everyone says are trucks run better on factory type plugs and the throttle body spacer is a waste of money. You can also do a ported throttle body from one of our vendors I plan on buying one from moes performance here before to long.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
#'s 2-4 do them 100%!! Like Knotts said, spacer is a waste of money. Get a ported TB instead. And performance spark plugs are a waste too because even performance built HEMI's like OEM plugs.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got my 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I'm still working on winning the lottery and finding a a better job in this "wonderful" economy, but I still want to do some mod's with what little extra money I have. So, which mod's are actually worth the money?
1. Throttle Bottle Spacer
2. Cold air intake
3. Cat-Back exhaust
4. Programmer
5. High Performance spark plugs?

And if they are all good mod's, which should I start out with first?

If you're answer is to look through the previous forums, please don't bother leaving an answer. Just because I am new to this forum, doesn't mean I am new to all forums. Thanks.

1. Waste of time and money
2. Good idea
3. Good start, but upgrading the whole thing is a good idea
4. Superchips 3865 or better, unless custom tuning, then Diablo
5. Hemi's seem to like oem style coppers. I had Iridiums that worked fine, but I wouldn't have gotten them if I had to pay full price

70x7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
out of all you listed, do the programmer. exhaust and intake are good mods, but biggest hp per $$ is the programmer.

jp3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Has anyone used the K&N 57 series? I'm looking into it and it seems good. Does anyone know of any better cold air intakes for around that price range with a better performance upgrade.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
HemiLonestar has you going in the right direction. Like he mentioned doing all the exhaust will show the best gains. They will all add up and work together to give you the best results.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gears and a converter will also do well on the kick-in-the-pants-o-meter, as will a cam. Trick is matching your parts to complement each other as a combo and not a bunch of individual parts.

02 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 NSRT-4
Engine
2.4L Turbo
it catches the oil that gets recirculated through the PCV vale into the intake, which causes gunk build up and lowers your octane rating.

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any idea on power gain or gas mileage difference with just S&B cold air intake kit?

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Or save yourself hundreds! And make your own CAI. Get some PVC and a filter of your choice and your set.

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Waste of time and money
2. Good idea
3. Good start, but upgrading the whole thing is a good idea
4. Superchips 3865 or better, unless custom tuning, then Diablo
5. Hemi's seem to like oem style coppers. I had Iridiums that worked fine, but I wouldn't have gotten them if I had to pay full price

Is that the best tuner for the money? What all can it do? I'm thinking it will be fine just wondering. All I have left to do is get some L/T's and O/R mid pipe