Engine oil flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I took my truck in for service and got a comment back from the dealer:

Observation: Found engine oil excessively discolored/dirty.
Recommendation: Perform engine oil flush service.

I'm about 5k miles into my last oil change using Redline synthetic so I shouldn't be near a change. However, when I do change it I only manage to get 7 quarts back in, I've always assumed some hangs out and doesn't come out. Do I need to flush this myself next time by running some clean oil though the system? Or is there a better way to get all the oil to drain?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd check air filter, get a catch can, make sure oil is coming in catch can. My worry would be pcv. Is this the first redline run? If so what is the oil lineage?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Engine flushes are a bad idea. It is a solvent used to quickly dislodge sludge. I would put some effort into finding out what is going on. What gas do you use? Fuel cleaners? Sometimes high detergent oil will clean the engine the first few times you use them, but this isn't an oil issue.

7 qrts is the correct amount.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'd check air filter, get a catch can, make sure oil is coming in catch can. My worry would be pcv. Is this the first redline run? If so what is the oil lineage?

HOLY **** I FORGOT TO DRAIN THIS. I'll see where this is, hopefully not completely full.

Gas is typically Shell Premium, otherwise I shoot for other Top Tier brands. No fuel cleaners or other additives. I've been running Redline since I got the truck (55k miles now).

EDIT: Bought the truck new, so since I changed the factory fill. I think I may have done a 5k run with cheaper synthetic before coming to redline, fwiw.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm guessing the dealer is trying to drum up work.
Have you noticed the truck burning oil? It possible there might be a ring issue??
Post up a pic of the oil on something white and compare it to fresh oil.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Nothing better then shell, go check that catch can, lol.

Will as soon as I get home. Out of curiosity, what would happen if it did overfill? Does it effectively operate as before a catch can, or worse?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like the latest fad, they must be lacking sales on fuel system cleaning. If you're really concerned I'd get a UOA and see what it says. Checking air filter, pcv, and you're catch can is a good idea on a regular basis but I'd do some further investigation before I took the word of any oil change guy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wouldn't worry either, do a uoa if you are worried. I could tell you a bunch or stuff, but all it will make you do is worry when it isn't warranted. Check the dip stick as well, if you been running redline that long I bet your dealer is so full of **** it isn't funny. Do you change your own oil? Let us know what you find out when you get home, let's go from there.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also what oil filter are you using? Please don't say Mopar. If you're using a paper filament filter you may have blown a hole in the filter media essentially making you're filter useless. And what OCI's are you running?

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'm guessing the dealer is trying to drum up work.
Have you noticed the truck burning oil? It possible there might be a ring issue??
Post up a pic of the oil on something white and compare it to fresh oil.

full

Current vs new Redline. Catch can was only about half full, think it has been about 15k miles since last dumped. I don't think I'm burning off any oil, level was still at the top of the safe range.

Also what oil filter are you using? Please don't say Mopar. If you're using a paper filament filter you may have blown a hole in the filter media essentially making you're filter useless. And what OCI's are you running?

Filter is RoyalPurple. I'm not sure what OCI's are?

I wouldn't worry either, do a uoa if you are worried. I could tell you a bunch or stuff, but all it will make you do is worry when it isn't warranted. Check the dip stick as well, if you been running redline that long I bet your dealer is so full of **** it isn't funny. Do you change your own oil? Let us know what you find out when you get home, let's go from there.

Yep I change my own. I'm guessing this was a drum up work move like others have said, but want to make sure I'm not missing a step or needed maintenance that I should be doing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
LOL, that oil doesn't look blown to me. The RP filter will outlast your oil, just replace them when you change your oil. My Redline OCI is 10k miles and I still could go further if I so choose.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
full

Current vs new Redline. Catch can was only about half full, think it has been about 15k miles since last dumped. I don't think I'm burning off any oil, level was still at the top of the safe range.

I looked at my work van which has about 3K on the oil change (engine has 40K, Valvoline full synthetic 5W-20) and the oil looks any the same color. If it really concerns you, send a sample to Blackstone to be tested.

For an diesel engine, that oil looks like brand new(at 5K the oil is usually jet black). LOL!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
BTW, I did 5 years of testing with RP filters and cutting them open and generally inspecting them. The last one just this Feb was in service for two years and the RP filter was still soft and pliable, meaning it was filtering good. Syn's research was that synthetic filters only filter better with time. They are spun microglass, they just don't degrade.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, sounds like a sales pitch. You should have heard the sales pitch for fuel injector cleaning I heard today at one of the Indy's I deliver to. I just had to turn and walk away. Bad thing was the lady bought it $180.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I’ve been doing engine flushes with no problems. Maybe wouldn’t start doing it to a vehicle with 150k miles but 55k ain’t that bad. Running a short interval oil change won’t do much but lighten the wallet.

Try something slower acting first like Seafoam or MMO then do an engine flush or kreen. Just do it yourself. You could pour it in before you go for your oil change. That lol doesn’t look bad at all.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will as soon as I get home. Out of curiosity, what would happen if it did overfill? Does it effectively operate as before a catch can, or worse?
Your TB will sip yiltch out of the full CC. What this does is mess with combustion and cause PCM to adjust timing. Rough idle for certain, and perhaps a little hesitation at first.
Over time, it also allows all the things you bought a CC to avoid to happen, junk in the intake and on your TB and perhaps some build-up on your intake valves and even valve seats--but that would be overflowing for sometime, not just a 1,000 mile brain fart.