Engine shut off while driving 60ish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

araz2114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done some searching but haven't found what I'm after.

Here's a strange one.
2016 Ram Longhorn 5.7 Hemi, 220K.
Driving about 90 kph (60 mph) and it was like the fuel was just shut off. No sputter, No warning, No check engine light. All the electronics stayed working the way they were. It wouldn't restart. It has never been a problem to start... ever!
It was approximately -18 deg C (1 deg F) outside. I had been driving for at least 15 minutes and I even stopped for gas. (My wife got gas at the same time, same station, same pump and didn't have any issues.)

It won't start unless you stomp the gas pedal and then it sputters and coughs like crazy. Is there more than one issue?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas and suggestions would be great.

Thank you from the great white north... CANADA

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check all air sources filter and throttle body, and change the oil and look for foam or water on top. Is battery old or new? Plugs oem for 220k? Fuel, air, spark before you start looking into side issues like ignition or TIPM, I forget didnt the 2016 ram get a TIPM? I know 2017 didn't, but I forget the year they stopped. Did you run codes even no CEL? Other culprits random sensors, sensors shut down engine to protect it. PCV while you are at it.

OP
OP
A

araz2114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found it.... The passenger side valve cover has a crack in it. That's never good :(
Looks like a broken valve spring. My mechanic is looking at it... IMG_20230209_151315.jpgIMG_20230209_153747.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Replace that pcv for sure.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've done some searching but haven't found what I'm after.

Here's a strange one.
2016 Ram Longhorn 5.7 Hemi, 220K.
Driving about 90 kph (60 mph) and it was like the fuel was just shut off. No sputter, No warning, No check engine light. All the electronics stayed working the way they were. It wouldn't restart. It has never been a problem to start... ever!
It was approximately -18 deg C (1 deg F) outside. I had been driving for at least 15 minutes and I even stopped for gas. (My wife got gas at the same time, same station, same pump and didn't have any issues.)

It won't start unless you stomp the gas pedal and then it sputters and coughs like crazy. Is there more than one issue?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas and suggestions would be great.

Thank you from the great white north... CANADA
Hey there!

If you're needing any assistance with this, you can always reach out to Ram Cares Canada! They can be reached via direct messaging on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/ramtruckscanada or by phone here: 1-800-465-2001

Callie
Ram Cares