Engine Swap Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
Hi all. New here and working on my first Ram. I bought a 1999 1500 that had a very tired 5.2 begging to be replaced. My son had a 1997 1500 he wrecked that had a great 5.9 in it. The swap went well but now I have no gauges and the odo reads "no bus". Any ideas on what to check. Didn't find any blown fuses. Thanks in advance, Al

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
That is weird because my truck has had that swap and all my gauges work so I'm not sure? Hope someone can help you out!
They all worked before?

OP
OP
Big_Al

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
Yes gauges worked before. Now no gauges or tach or speedo. Really hoping I could gleen from someone else's experence here. ;)........Al

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use the 5.9 computer from the 97? The engine shouldn't be different but the computers are. The 99 and 97 computers are different in the way they communicate to the ecm, cluster, and abs module. The speedometer uses a different sensor in 99 from 97 and the tach pick up maybe different as well. IIRC you should use the computer from a 98-99 5.9 engined truck to ensure everything works right. .

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
No bus when it happened on my truck was a computer ecm issue, got a new one and it started right up had no bus, occasionally would start then die randomly.

go to pick a part and get one for the same year as motor.

edit: could be that those clusters are actually different too, I believe the 97 wasnt digital the 99 is

OP
OP
Big_Al

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
Did you use the 5.9 computer from the 97? The engine shouldn't be different but the computers are. The 99 and 97 computers are different in the way they communicate to the ecm, cluster, and abs module. The speedometer uses a different sensor in 99 from 97 and the tach pick up maybe different as well. IIRC you should use the computer from a 98-99 5.9 engined truck to ensure everything works right. ..

I did use the 97 ECM. That very well may be the problem. I'm at work now and the truck is 30 miles away at my fovorite brother in laws garage.:naughty: I can swap to the 99 ECM this evening and see the results. There were several things different on the engine we had to change: alternator, pick up thingie in the distributor, crank sensor, oil sending unit, fuel rail and a temp sensor. I just need this thing road worthy to get it out of his way. I can work on minor things in my shop. BTW, I did Google "no bus" and have read up some since my op. But that's not to say I'm not greatful for all who replied. This forum will be a great place for this new ram owner. I'll post up some pics of the ol $600 ram as I get it transformed into my semi daily driver. Thx......Al

BTW... Any idea how the 5.2 ECM (original to the truck) will work on the 5.9? Got to try it since I have it. :)

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
can get the 5.2l ecm reflashed for a fee somewhere.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Sct only, dealer can't do it.

OP
OP
Big_Al

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
Well the original PCM to the truck corrected the no bus error. :) I spoke with several local tuners and finally found one who knew Dadge. He said that if I used all the sensors off the 5.2 the PCM would adjust itself to run the 5.9 well enough not to hurt anything. I checked part numbers on the sensors and ejectors and they were all the same for both the 99 model 5.2 and the 97 model 5.9. I cleared the codes and have ran it some and so far the check engine light is still off. Here in NC I have to get a permit to drive it to get an emissions inspection before I can purchase a tag. I may try to get that done tomorrow.
My only issue no is some vacuum hoses the appear to go to the 4WD. I'll post a separate thread for that. Thx ......... Al

OP
OP
Big_Al

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
Well Guys, the Ram is on the road. :) It passed emissions inspection without any issues. Now the fun begins..... tons of body work and just general TLC all over. Thanks for all the replies.....Al