Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4 door 4x4 with 4.7 sitting on 3" body lift and 37x12.50x17 nitto trail grapplers. The tired old 4.7 with almost 170000 miles needs replaced soon. I would like to put something with a little more hp in it if possible. What chrysler engines could i put in it that i would not have to change the trans also? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg but a replacement 4.7 long block crate engine is around 2500.00 anyway so is there any other options? I Wouldn't mind spending a little bit more for more hp but don't wanna break the bank for ole red either. Any input suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trade the truck in or sell ti and get the one you want. It isn't as simple as dropping in another engine and go.

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it's not that easy...I'm recently married and about to buy a house so i gotta watch every dime i spend and the truck has sentimental value to me...i am going to buy a newer truck after we get our house but I'll never get rid of ole red...she'll be my woods and property truck...I'm going to replace the engine before this one craps out but I'd just like a little more HP even if i drop an old carb and distributor engine in it...i just don't wanna have to replace the trans also...

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The only other option you have is to swap the tired 4.7 for a 5.7 HEMI. That would allow you to keep the same transmission.

How are your wrenching skills? Is this something you are going to do in the confines of your own garage?

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes Sir...I've always done my own repairs on all my vehicles since i was a youngen mainly cause i don't make enough money to pay for someone else to do it. I've swapped motors before but have always been exact replacements. About the only thing i haven't done myself is to actually rebuild an engine. So with that said I'm pretty confident to preform about any task. I could easily swap the engine with another 4.7 but of course I'm a typical man and want more power...lol The truck as i said before has sentimental value and i will never get rid of it. I am in the future going to buy a new truck and that's why i would even consider putting an older model engine that needs no computer or anything like that but i would like to keep my existing transmission and transfer case. This truck will end up being a woods and work on the property truck and just driven on the road every once in a while. I've heard that to swap from the 4.7 to the hemi 5.7 is very costly. Is this true? What suggestions might you have?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Asking about wrenching skills was the wrong question, the 5.7 is a physical bolt-in in place of a 4.7; the real question is how are your electrical/electronics skills?

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a matter of fact I'm excellent with electrical. I was actually an electric forklift mechanic for years. I specialized in the electric lifts cause you can't send an i.c. mechanic to work on an electric forklift. I get electric. Why what is envolved? I would imagine the computers gotta be changed and some harness modifications??? But changing the engine a long block would not work i would need everything...all the accessories and then what computers? What total am i looking at purchasing?