Engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These take a bit to warm up. 32 degrees this morning and it took 15 minutes for the temp gauge to get up to operating temp. The temp gauge also does not stay in the same spot. It goes up and then drops some and then goes back up repeating the process. Never had a car do that before

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
These take a bit to warm up. 32 degrees this morning and it took 15 minutes for the temp gauge to get up to operating temp. The temp gauge also does not stay in the same spot. It goes up and then drops some and then goes back up repeating the process. Never had a car do that before

15 mins is overkill at that outside temp. A few minutes is enough unless it's very cold. Driving it will make it heat up faster. Engine needs to be under load.

legend02

Reaction score
The temperature fluctuation is your thermostat opening and closing it's suppose to do that. You just never had a vehicle that gave you a digital temp readout a gauge would not be as noticable.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I will give it up to Dodge for this one. They have always had really good guage readings with temp. My SRT4 you could see it move with almost every degree and the truck is not much different. Watch the temps on your EVIC you should see the fluctuation being controlled. It should go up to 205 and then open and go back down.

as for the motor taking forever to warm up. its warm it just wont really show until you drive it, or let it idle for 15 min. I live in the same state as you so im used to this. Also the block is a huge chunk of cast iron, that takes a long time to warm up.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Everything that I've read says that modern vehicles don't need to warm up more than a few seconds before being driven at most temperatures, including what you described. When it's down below zero (not freezing) and into the -20 to -40 range, a minute or so is all that it needs. Even with that, you can drive it almost right away if you drive like an 80 year old lady for the first mile or two.

Anything longer is just wasting gas

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I generally let mine get down to ~800 rpms after starting it before driving. On start up it's around 11-1200. But that's not really more than 2 minutes ever, even when it was 0 deg F driving to work in the morning

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything that I've read says that modern vehicles don't need to warm up more than a few seconds before being driven at most temperatures, including what you described. When it's down below zero (not freezing) and into the -20 to -40 range, a minute or so is all that it needs. Even with that, you can drive it almost right away if you drive like an 80 year old lady for the first mile or two.

depends what you have. the 8 speed with 3.92 needs about a min with warm temps and more like 5 min with really colds temps(-20C). if you just start it and throw it into gear while it's idling at 1500 rpm it launches very hard

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I usually give a vehicle 30 seconds to warm up regardless of temp. 5 minutes if very cold. Where the hell is it -40??

To move fluid in the tranny you could put it in neutral or in drive and hold with the brake but that's not easy when idling high. My old Belvedere move across the parking lot in neutral and especially so when you revved the engine. 440 big block, mmm...

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
All new vehicles have a built-in warm up cycle.

When the vehicle is started you'll notice the RPM's jump to ~1500, then after about 30 seconds they relax to 800-1000. At that point, any further idling is a waste of time and fuel.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
The cold-start cycle does not constitute a warm up cycle. Even once your water temperature has risen your oil temperature could still be drastically lower. Start it up, 30 seconds to a minute of idling to distribute oil throughout the engine, then drive easily until everything is up to temp. Problem is almost nothing has an oil temp gauge and that's what makes the difference in engine performance and protection.

BigDaddyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All new vehicles have a built-in warm up cycle.

When the vehicle is started you'll notice the RPM's jump to ~1500, then after about 30 seconds they relax to 800-1000. At that point, any further idling is a waste of time and fuel.

yup, once the RPMs make that noticeable drop, its time to roll.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
U should never let an engine fully warm until everything is up to temp. 30sec to 1 min if temps are warmer than 50-60*. Colder than that I would give in a min or 2 longer. In NJ it was 0* to negative temps with windchill and I would only give it 5-8min max. U specifically set my remote start to 10min max before shutdown bc of this reasoning and the info below.

Reason Is old cars had non heated 02 sensors and required exhaust heat to heat the 02 till it went into closed loop mode. Now engines have heated 02 sensors and take 30s or less to reach operating temps. You could still drive a cold Not ready older 02 sensor but your performance and fuel mileage suffered greatly due to the ECM not relying on real world data from the 02... thus using base fuel and timing maps preprogrammed in the ECM. Non heated older 02 sensors were around till the 90s.

Another issue with idling these hemi trucks specifically is the inherant oiling issue these trucks suffer from, causing ticks and lifter issues bc of the MDS style lifters. You should also avoid long periods of hot idling where oil pressures dip below 50psi. Not to mention the almost required oil catch can should be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't let it idle long. It takes 15 minutes of driving for the temp gauge with a C and an H on it to get up to normal operating temperature. My previous car was up in 5 minutes or less and my 2003 F150 is not that long either. Seems awfully long to me.

JustMove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You just need to run it long enough for the oil to make it to the top of the motor. 15 seconds? And it's safe to drive and will warm up on your drive to where you're going.