Engine wont start unless push Automatic tranny shifter lever up (column shifter)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaximusAurelius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This problem I have had for a long time, years. It started out when at times the truck would not start, no crank either. I by chance discovered that if I moved the automatic transmission shifter lever up that it would start. At the time I worked at a Dodge dealership and was told that it was the neutral safety switch, so I replaced it. The problem didn't go away and just got used to pushing the shifter up. Well years later now I want to get this figure out and repaired, it seems like whatever is connected to the shifter and goes down to the transmission telling g it that it can start because it isn't in gear is stretched or misaligned, but that is just an observation. The shifter does have some play in it but this is not an area of the truck I have ever worked on or am very familiar with. Any help or knowledge, or recognition of this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No experience with Dodges from this era, but the older GM trucks used to develop all kinds of slop and play in the steering column over time... bolts work loose, clips stretch out, dirt builds up, etc. Was a matter of disassembling the thing and going through it step by step to tighten everything back up.

I'd say you are on the right track with the transmission safety switch not detecting the truck is actually in park. Of course there may be an issue where the truck isn't actually going all the way into park and you've just gotten lucky so far that it hasn't slipped out of gear and rolled away.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My father had a late 60's Ford. The shifter had to be moved to Reverse for it to start. That was the only way the neutral safety switch would engage. (It should start in Park or in neutral by the way). In his case, there was a bad motor mount, the motor had shifted a bit, causing misalignment of the cable. New motor mount fixed it.

OP
OP
M

MaximusAurelius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you both for the info, Ncrainman there is quite a bit of slop in the shifter so I will see if I can tighten things up. Thanks again

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
this is 3rd Generation Ram, but it may work for you

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This problem I have had for a long time, years. It started out when at times the truck would not start, no crank either. I by chance discovered that if I moved the automatic transmission shifter lever up that it would start. At the time I worked at a Dodge dealership and was told that it was the neutral safety switch, so I replaced it. The problem didn't go away and just got used to pushing the shifter up. Well years later now I want to get this figure out and repaired, it seems like whatever is connected to the shifter and goes down to the transmission telling g it that it can start because it isn't in gear is stretched or misaligned, but that is just an observation. The shifter does have some play in it but this is not an area of the truck I have ever worked on or am very familiar with. Any help or knowledge, or recognition of this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I think you will find the shift cable is binding.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100870 miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like linkage adjustment, but just Guessnosis. Dodges were known for it, heck they all were. I can remember having to hold the Shift lever up on an Apache Chevy, and a Ford also. I just did not own any Mopar that far back.

The Fords were notorious for bad NS switches. I started my 66 Ford in Neutral, never got the bug worked out of the Park alignment on switch. Kinda like a bad clutch safety switch too, they can be monsters also.

Last edited:

Cdp45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 07 Ram does the same thing. There is a cable in the steering colum that may be adjusted or replaced.

JohnJV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Wikipedia/Google ...
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock feature is designed to prohibit movement of the shift lever from the PARK position unless the ignition switch is disposed in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed. (BTSI)
=================
I can start my RAM in PARK or NEUTRAL However, if I start in PARK I cannot shift out of PARK. *
==================
* electrical issues w/brake

rob47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to own a 1969 Chrysler Town and Country wagon with the same issue. Troubleshooting fount all of the nylon/plastic bushings in the shift linkage were worn or broken after replacing them the issue went away.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This problem has been around for maybe 70 yrs , since auto's came out and they put a safety switch in.

I am really surprised any one pulling wrenches in a garage would have to post a question on this
Mind you if you had a dial shifter like the 8 speed has in mine , then that is a problem a lot of us , including me would have to ask.
BTW I had bought a used truck at auction and the switch shorted out because guess he could not be bothered to fix it, it was a Ford , so small wonder.
It would start in drive or R .

OP
OP
M

MaximusAurelius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again for all the info but I have a couple post that are different. One says that the cable in the column is bad and the rest just mention the actual shift cable, one to the Trans. Any other advice and I haven't ever adjusted one of these any tips?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The park switch was on the steering column under the dash, on the older stuff, but I have not looked on the last 6 speed as mine had shift lever in the center counsel , but I suppose could be same set up as column switch.
get a light and look for a switch with wires that move with the shift lever, and slop under there.
Maybe on side of transmission?