Fixing that stupid column shifter bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elfarmcrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Shifting into reverse to come out of a parking spot, I heard a "pop" and the column shifter flops around like a fish. Luckily, I was able to shift into drive and get home. In the driveway, I pull the boot to have a look at the innards and sure enough, the shifter bracket is broken. Looking at this bracket, I'm thinking what brilliant engineer designed this? A cheap cast aluminum part that's supposed to clamp around a hollow shifter rod and subject to being yanked on 50+ times per day. That'll hold up, right?

20230617_201809.jpg

My first thought was to just buy a new bracket. They're less than $100, but it was Sunday and I was about to head out on a trip. Besides, what makes me think that the newer brackets are any better than the one that broke? So, here's my fix. I started off with some scrap steel, probably 3/16" thick or so. I drilled a hole at one end for the clamping bolt, then gently massaged it (read merciless beating with a ball peen hammer) to wrap around the broken piece.

20230618_095522.jpg
20230618_112118.jpg
I then drilled and tapped 4 holes near the free end of the strap into what looked like the meatiest part of the bracket. Basically, the broken piece is now a spacer for the shifter and the steel strap is the actual clamp.
20230618_125611.jpgA shot of silver paint and reinstall and now the shifter feels better than ever. Hopefully I'll never have to worry about this part ever again
20230618_171027.jpg

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nice work :happy160:
I don't think that's gonna break again any time soon.

Rizkit4DBizkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would cleaning up the cracked surface and filling it with some epoxy would be beneficial or overkill? The only advantage I see would be helping with slop/movement, but the fix will likely hold without the epoxy. My biggest problem is overkill and over-engineering everything.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I fixed mine my swapping to this... all parts from a 1500. Works perfect on my 68RFE

20230929_191424.jpg

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Shifting into reverse to come out of a parking spot, I heard a "pop" and the column shifter flops around like a fish. Luckily, I was able to shift into drive and get home. In the driveway, I pull the boot to have a look at the innards and sure enough, the shifter bracket is broken. Looking at this bracket, I'm thinking what brilliant engineer designed this? A cheap cast aluminum part that's supposed to clamp around a hollow shifter rod and subject to being yanked on 50+ times per day. That'll hold up, right?

View attachment 523339

My first thought was to just buy a new bracket. They're less than $100, but it was Sunday and I was about to head out on a trip. Besides, what makes me think that the newer brackets are any better than the one that broke? So, here's my fix. I started off with some scrap steel, probably 3/16" thick or so. I drilled a hole at one end for the clamping bolt, then gently massaged it (read merciless beating with a ball peen hammer) to wrap around the broken piece.

View attachment 523340
View attachment 523341
I then drilled and tapped 4 holes near the free end of the strap into what looked like the meatiest part of the bracket. Basically, the broken piece is now a spacer for the shifter and the steel strap is the actual clamp.
View attachment 523342A shot of silver paint and reinstall and now the shifter feels better than ever. Hopefully I'll never have to worry about this part ever again
View attachment 523343
Maybe you should patent & sell them