Exhaust Heat Exchanger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hauling Pillows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 2019 Classic 5.7
Did anyone notice that oil temperature is actually lower then coolant temperature for first 10-15 minutes in the colder weather. For example, I'll have 60*F coolant and 40*F oil, the only explanation I can come up with is that my Hemi has some king of heat exchanger ( kind of like 3.6 Pentastar has built in exhaust manifolds in the head) which will keep coolant at higher temp initially, until normal operating temp has been achieved.
Anybody know the actual reason why

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably to do with emissions. During warm up, the engine produces the most emissions. The faster they can get it to warm up, the less emissions output it will produce.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is 0 cooling ports on the Exhaust manifolds them selves. Some of these trucks do have oil coolers as I believe it is an option.

OP
OP
Hauling Pillows

Hauling Pillows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, but that still doesn't explain why would coolant gets hotter before oil.
as far as the oil cooler goes, that probably has thermostat on it just like transmission cooler in order to get everything up to temperature before starting to cool it down, to keep everything highly efficient :rolleyes:

Oil is really primary 'coolant' of the engine, that's where the friction is. Anti-freeze really only supplements oil, although that's its only job. Oil has two, first it lubricates and second it cools those areas (main and rod bearings, friction areas, cylinder walls...)

I was paying little more attention to it, this morning it was 0*F ambient, so after few minutes of driving coolant was 134*F and oil was <122*F (sensor cant read bellow 122*F) then coolant went to 165* then to 190* when oil turned 150*
It's not biggie, everything works fine :driver: but I'm curious as to why would coolant be hotter then oil :flame:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee