Exhaust Install Tomorrow, Still on Fence with H vs X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I'm slated to have my new exhaust mods installed tomorrow and cannot get 100% comfy with my decision on the mid pipe. I'm currently leaning towards an H pipe in lieu of the X pipe.

Here's my basic limited knowledge on the selection.

Both are good choices as opposed to neither. X is considered more efficient with scavenging and will therefore give more HP but its only realized on the High end whereas the H will help with back pressure and give more Torque on the Low End. X has a more modern / european raspier slightly quieter tone whereas the H has a more musclecar /old school deep throaty growl tone.

Assuming the above understanding is correct then I'm on point with the direction of my selection towards the H. Currently I'm pleased with my trucks higher end, in fact I'm quite impressed with how much more it has in reserve at say 65mph when you just touch the gas but I'm not nearly as impressed on the lowend even with 3.92s on the 8spd. If I'm already moving at say 15 or 20mph and punch it I would have though it would be lighting up the stock skinny wheels but it doesn't perhaps b/c track control but don't see more torque on a truck as a bad thing :).

On the sound side of things the muffler I have selected (Borla XR-1) it already gives me the tone I like. So with an X I don't want that poppy or as I call it the modern fart sound on the flip side I don't want to enter the overly drone possibility If I add in an H but that's part of my ignorance I suppose hopefully it just enhances the nice growl and not the drone.

Also my in my ignorance I understand the X to be a better choice performance wise but not significantly so on a % basis when comparing apples to apples.

So any wise words of wisdom and insight towards the X vs H debate are greatly appreciated. Also most of what I have found on the subject in my newbism has been non vehicle specific so feedback specific to Ram with Hemi in mind would be great!

Last edited:

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always like H better. Dont know why but ways prefer H

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The H would be my preference.

I want more low end with sufficient exhaust scavenging and since most of my driving is well below higher RPM range, the H provides benefits I will use for most of my driving.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
here's an example of what I meant by the modern fart in an Xpipe vs the growl desired by an H pipe on an apple to apple comparison on the same vehicle even though its totally different than my ram :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m3xfIZDkE

comparing around the 40sec to 1:13 mark to the 2:45 to 3.09 mark or so.

I also found these on the same ram but with it being cammed etc I thought that it was a unfair comparison but boy does it sound good :p (gotta believe its loud on the inside too tho, maybe to much for daily :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9pFJaODAKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKy_B53ZDw

I cant help but wonder whats the dyno difference on these not just the high end but low end as well...

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that thing sounds mean.... I want to hear it get on it...

But one thought I was having is does having a equal length system from right to left banks make a difference since driver side has to cross over to passenger side to clear the fuel tank?

Boulevardvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the performance aspect but I would almost bet the H will have a better sound.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well just dropped off, going h pipe

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
But one thought I was having is does having a equal length system from right to left banks make a difference since driver side has to cross over to passenger side to clear the fuel tank?

+1 I would like to know about equal length system too. Balanced exhaust systems pulses seems like it would be best. But, I'm no expert.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hmmm... wasn't aware anyone was running an H around here!

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I am now... Just got back from a late lunch break. The guys did a great job. I'll be sure to upload a lot of good pics to photo bucket and post when I get home from work this evening... So stoked!

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh yea need to make some of those too. What do you guys use for splicing videos together?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Oh yea need to make some of those too. What do you guys use for splicing videos together?

I like windows movie maker it's pretty simple to use.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will once I have access at home, can't do at work. One thing I had them change is how the stock pipe crossed under the tranny. I didn't like that extra heat coming from the pipe right under it. Not to mention it was right in the way of the tranny drain plug.

I was also surprised by the old pipe itself leading to that restrictive stock y everyone complains about. I got a pic but the top of that pipe was also factory crushed, I presume for clearance at the tranny...

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mufflers you got were 3" in 3" out? So i assume you ran 3" pipe out the back? Also are the headers 3" pipe? Or did the shop need to adapt from 2.5" to 3" before the mufflers? Sorry if the pictures show this (I am at work and cant see the pics).

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Looks like you cleared your tranny from looking at the pics. Great idea if you ever need to pull it, well done:favorites13: