Exhaust Install Tomorrow, Still on Fence with H vs X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The mufflers you got were 3" in 3" out? So i assume you ran 3" pipe out the back? Also are the headers 3" pipe? Or did the shop need to adapt from 2.5" to 3" before the mufflers? Sorry if the pictures show this (I am at work and cant see the pics).
Yes the **** is 3/3. As for the pipe I used 2.5 with the ends expanded/ flared. Initially I was going to keep single in dual out after a y so I bought a 3/3 ****. Which I also felt would be good down the road for reuse should I ever go with a 3 in system. So when I decided on this latest setup I just matched the **** with the one I already had since he could make fit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks like you cleared your tranny from looking at the pics. Great idea if you ever need to pull it, well done:favorites13:
Yep, sure did. I'm not sure why Ram didn't do this to begin with, there's lots of room to do this. Plus it got rid of that restrictive portion of the exhaust.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes the **** is 3/3. As for the pipe I used 2.5 with the ends expanded/ flared. Initially I was going to keep single in dual out after a y so I bought a 3/3 ****. Which I also felt would be good down the road for reuse should I ever go with a 3 in system. So when I decided on this latest setup I just matched the **** with the one I already had since he could make fit.

Forgot u asked about headers. I'm still stock headers and cats (for now [emoji48] ). So I just connected with the stock cats at 2.5. I'll probably Go all out once my warranty is up but that'll be a ways out.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to hear it!!!! Good job on the exhaust work.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ugh its been a busy couple of days and haven't been able to get to the vid yet, sorry guys. I hadn't forgot about the requests. I'll try to get one loaded this weekend.

matty169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The x-over or H pipe is supposed to balance pressure for unequal length from right to left.
Take a foot long piece of hose and same diameter 5 foot piece of hose and set regulator to 10 psi and measure at exit of hose. Now join the 1 foot and 5 foot piece together and measure at exit. They will be MUCH closer together flow wise.

matty169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That shop needs a mandrel bender and why did they make the tail pipes 2.5 instead of 3 inch?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trying to find a shop that has a mandrel bender is almost like winning the lottery. They are reallllly expensive and not many people want to pay extra for mandrel bent pipes. When I lived in the Denver area I never could find a shop that had one and now in Austin, I still haven't found a shop that could do mandrel bending. It's almost easier to buy pre-bent pipes and put your own system together.
Jay

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That shop needs a mandrel bender and why did they make the tail pipes 2.5 instead of 3 inch?
There is only 1 mandrel bender in all of Georgia is what I'm being told by many shops and they all kept saying the same guy. I was told the bender is 40k but that's not eben the expensive part, it takes the tech 1.5 hr every time he needs to swap the dies for different pipe sizes. While that would have been awesome and I could certainly appreciate it, that's more than what I was after. I wanted an upgrade from stock at a bang for the buck mentality. If I was racing where I was concerned about every little bit then yes maybe but I set real expectations for what I wanted and on my dime :) I can see how that might not fit the bill for others ;), so with that in mind onto your next question about the 2.5 /3 pipe. Keep in mind if you did see in my full right up link this started out as a simple muffler swap project that escalated. I simply wanted to replace the it's in my system and and the stock single 3inch line between cays and muffler. So to keep mk y costs down I opted to reuse my existing tips and back dual lines. Also the existing stock cats where 2.5 outlets, so it made sense to keep with 2.5s for the duals. had I swapped to 3's I was told i would not have kept the necessary back pressure that the system needed. And not changing out all the piping n tips behind the mufflers (my doing - costs) that made sense to me to stick with the 2.5s.

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Trying to find a shop that has a mandrel bender is almost like winning the lottery. They are reallllly expensive and not many people want to pay extra for mandrel bent pipes. When I lived in the Denver area I never could find a shop that had one and now in Austin, I still haven't found a shop that could do mandrel bending. It's almost easier to buy pre-bent pipes and put your own system together.
Jay
I like the lottery analogy :)

OP
OP
L

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The x-over or H pipe is supposed to balance pressure for unequal length from right to left.
Take a foot long piece of hose and same diameter 5 foot piece of hose and set regulator to 10 psi and measure at exit of hose. Now join the 1 foot and 5 foot piece together and measure at exit. They will be MUCH closer together flow wise.
Makes sense thanks for the input!