Exhaust leak covered under power train warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2021 ram 1500 Laramie , I bought new late in 2020. Has 43,*** miles and I've noticed an exhaust leak from somewhere under the cab. Haven't fully investigated source yet, but definitely a leak. Starting to sound pretty awful for a nearly $60,000 3 year old truck. Can anyone tell me if an exhaust leak is covered under the 5/60k power train warranty or if I'm on my own with this one?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Probably depends on if it’s a defect or a result of damage. Something kick up while you were driving and damage the exhaust system? Or, has someone unsuccessfully attempted to borrow your catalytic converter?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If it’s the classic snapped manifold bolts, then yes, it’s covered under the powertrain warranty. Cats are covered under emission warrant. Anything other than that, you may be out of luck.

Last edited:

Tgmonika

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good morning its here in Germany 16:55 I have the same problem on the right side and it`s not right that they do not have a recall on this safety item since this is leaking gasses in the vehicle which is not safe for the passengers in the vehicle.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Yes, it is covered. IIRC the powertrain warranty specifically mentions intake and exhaust manifolds.

OP
OP
J

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW My exhaust leak is a broken bolt, I don't know where yet, I was too disgusted with the dealer's attitude to ask every detail. Dealer says no coverage outside of 36k. Bolt needs to be drilled out, wants around $400 to do that. I'm in a discussion with them over something else (fuel tank not taking fuel) and I think I'm best to choose my battle at this point and the Fuel tank is the battle I'm choosing. I either have a bad dealer, or the exhaust system is not part of the power train / Federal Emissions warranty.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
FWIW My exhaust leak is a broken bolt, I don't know where yet, I was too disgusted with the dealer's attitude to ask every detail. Dealer says no coverage outside of 36k. Bolt needs to be drilled out, wants around $400 to do that. I'm in a discussion with them over something else (fuel tank not taking fuel) and I think I'm best to choose my battle at this point and the Fuel tank is the battle I'm choosing. I either have a bad dealer, or the exhaust system is not part of the power train / Federal Emissions warranty.
I'd be speaking to @RamCares to see if you can get some assistance.

The exhaust leak is a known issue and as long as you're in warranty it should be covered under said warranty.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Yes, it is covered. IIRC the powertrain warranty specifically mentions intake and exhaust manifolds.
Yes it is covered under the powertrain warranty. Your dealer chooses not read it, doesn't want to do it, or can't figure out how to write it up for corporate to reimburse them. They may also be trying to get you to pay out of pocket (for more than what corporate pays for the job).

My truck was well past 36K when I had my manifold replaced due to it being cracked and the dealership covered it under the powertrain warranty.

I found my warranty information for my 2019 DT 1500. Here is page 9 which clearly states that the Powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60K miles and that the exhaust manifold is covered:

1699378137300.png

I've also attached a copy of the complete warranties book:

Attachments

• 2019 RAM 1500 DT Warranties.pdf
    402 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

hrdas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had both my cracked manifolds replaced on my 5 gen 1500 limited under warranty, they also ordered a new gas tank after replacing the throat that did not solve the filling issue. They tried that first as it was less expensive to replace. I have 62*** on mine. Everything is being covered under warranty

OP
OP
J

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had both my cracked manifolds replaced on my 5 gen 1500 limited under warranty, they also ordered a new gas tank after replacing the throat that did not solve the filling issue. They tried that first as it was less expensive to replace. I have 62*** on mine. Everything is being covered under warranty
Well it sounds like I just had an awful dealership experience. I was able to get a tank for $200 "deductible" even though I don't have any sort of extended warranty so I'm not sure what the deductible was for or what games they were playing. That took a call to RAM and a few calls back. The dealer promises me I'm on my own for the exhaust leak though. I believe I have 2 leaks, one oddly stretched bolt where the muffler mounts on (that's definitely loud and I can feel the air escaping) and the manifold. I ordered a new gasket and bolts for the muffler, I will fix that myself easily and bring it back to another dealer to re-address the manifold.

Cburns59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi guys, I have a 2021 ram 5.7 hemi 4x4 crew cab. I found the exhaust leak and decided i would address it myself, but the bolt snapped. It looks like the bolt backed itself out a bit which resulted the gasket being compromised as well. Is this issue possibly covered under warranty? Its directly under the front of the rear passenger door under the cab. If it's not, I have to drill the bolts out as I'm guessing the other will snap too. Thanks in advance for any help!

ex1.jpgex2.jpg