Water, water, everywhere……

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good question…I was kinda hoping for tips and suggestions here.
Having had this problem several times, I found that rubbing with a medium wet rag with warm water works. It may need to be repeated. The material used in the headliner is meant to be cleaned with warm water.

That's removed every stain and there's no evidence of a water stain.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107973 miles.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have to wonder how good a job the dealership did, under warranty, to "fix" the Center Brake Light leak. From personal experience(and getting a new seal off of Amazon), there's a right way, with TLC and a not so good way. required gettin ALL of the old seal off of the CEL, itself. Took awhile.....................

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have to wonder how good a job the dealership did, under warranty, to "fix" the Center Brake Light leak. From personal experience(and getting a new seal off of Amazon), there's a right way, with TLC and a not so good way. required gettin ALL of the old seal off of the CEL, itself. Took awhile.....................
Dealerships were applying silicone when this problem first surfaced. Now they just replace the light itself. They do not replace the gasket though. Anyone can go online and buy a new CHMSL light for about $35 USD plus shipping. They aren't going to waste time trying to remove the old gasket. That takes too much time and time translates to $$$.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced the gasket on my center light with a length of butyl rubber tape. Rolled it, applied it in place of the gasket, reinstall light. No more leaks. The vents behind the rear seat back are also a known source for water entry.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Still waiting on the rear window glass and related parts to fix the rear window leaks………and it’s been raining here with the forecast for more. Back seat is covered with plastic drop cloth and shop towels.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Another place for a leak, has to do with the Rams with Rear sliding windows.

Water, from what ever source, rain or garden hose, runs down the sliding window on the outside.
It gathers in the window track, most times if the truck is parked on flat ground,. the water will drain out of the track.
Now, if the truck is parked on a tilt, all of the water can build up & over flow the track & run down the inside wall of the cab.

To avoid this, there are 2 drains in the sliding window track.
The exit to these 2 drains is on the outside of the cab, under the rubber window seal

This will give you a general idea of where they are

some other places for Rams to leak

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks for this heads up. My RAM sits with a left tilt, nose up. All my leaks (three rear widow leaks and one driver floorboard leak) are on the drivers (left) side of the truck. However, my rear window leak comes from the cracked upper window frame. You can see the water dripping thru the cracks. The worst leak is in the left hand rear corner. All that is supposed to be fixed by the warranty repair, once the parts arrive. The driver floorboard leak has yet to be located and identified. ……..

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would a steam cleaning type vacuum clean the headliner?
Theres a fella on u-tubes that posts about car detailing...seems to be able to clean the nastiest of vehicles, takes the seats out ,uses that mini machine on everthything,carpet,mats,seats, doors..never seen him do the headliner though.
I'll try and find a link/name later tonite and post back on him.
Edit...
Its later tonite....lol
"The Detail Geek" is the guys channel/name
Dunno if his vids are hogwash or not but he cleans alot of crap inside of vehicles.

Last edited:

David Roark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 e-Torque
…….And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink……
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner …….sometimes, I feel like that inside my 2020 RAM Laramie.
I posted about my leaky RAM several weeks ago - leaks from the overhead left rear corner and the driver’s floorboard. Took her to the dealer, was told I needed new driver side door & frame seals and that the rear center stop light was the source of the rear overhead leak. The headliner was stained in that area. The driver door seals would cost me $400.00, the center stop light leak was covered under the extended warranty. Ok, so I wait three weeks for all parts to arrive. Got a call Friday that all parts were in, scheduled Monday (yesterday) for the work. Told them I didn’t want the driver side door seals replaced as I could not duplicate the problem - couldn’t get that seal to leak, water is not coming thru those seals. That carpet and the underlay padding were wet - they are all dry now - just can’t locate where the leak is. The dealer did the warranty work for the center stop light, took a couple of hours. Bought her home and hosed her down. Checked inside and there was the leak, same place as before, rear left corner of the cab. Also, now there are two other leak points around the top of the center sliding window that I hadn’t noticed before or are new. Taking her back in today for part two. Will advise…….
You need to whole rear glass window replaced under warranty. I had the same problem. 3rd light was replaced and person that replaced the window said it had four different cracks in frame which could not be seen without a special light. But they certainly let the water pour in.
I still have the leak problem in my drivers floorboard. Going to have my local mechanic find and fix under my "Route 66" extended warranty.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Another place for a leak, has to do with the Rams with Rear sliding windows.

Water, from what ever source, rain or garden hose, runs down the sliding window on the outside.
It gathers in the window track, most times if the truck is parked on flat ground,. the water will drain out of the track.
Now, if the truck is parked on a tilt, all of the water can build up & over flow the track & run down the inside wall of the cab.

To avoid this, there are 2 drains in the sliding window track.
The exit to these 2 drains is on the outside of the cab, under the rubber window seal

This will give you a general idea of where they are

some other places for Rams to leak

The truck in that video is a 2002 1500 and the slider is manual. The design of the sliding window has changed a lot since then, and that sort of leak isn't really happening on these new trucks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Even the electric sliding windows have drains in the sliding window track.

The video that i used above, was not the one that i was looking for,
There is one with a 2017 Ram with sliding window & he shows how to open the top of the window track to clear the drains & it is less difficult then pre 2009 Dodge Rams

I still can't find the video that shows it :(

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I get it, and you're right. Basic design is the same and water can potentially get anywhere. I'm just saying that particular leak hasn't been an issue on 5th gens, which is the section in which we're having this discussion.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
You need to whole rear glass window replaced under warranty. I had the same problem. 3rd light was replaced and person that replaced the window said it had four different cracks in frame which could not be seen without a special light. But they certainly let the water pour in.
I still have the leak problem in my drivers floorboard. Going to have my local mechanic find and fix under my "Route 66" extended warranty.
Yeah, that’s my second issue — driver floorboards leaks. Do you have an educated guess as to where, on your truck, the leak originates from? I’ve hosed my truck down a lot, trying to duplicate the floorboards leak, but never could. And even with the recent rains here, the floorboard area is dry. Leaks don’t heal and fix themselves…….

David Roark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 e-Torque
Yeah, that’s my second issue — driver floorboards leaks. Do you have an educated guess as to where, on your truck, the leak originates from? I’ve hosed my truck down a lot, trying to duplicate the floorboards leak, but never could. And even with the recent rains here, the floorboard area is dry. Leaks don’t heal and fix themselves…….
Mine only happens when I actually drive it. Just sitting , no leak in front.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Leaks only when you drive it??? From where is it leaking?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the gasket on my center light with a length of butyl rubber tape. Rolled it, applied it in place of the gasket, reinstall light. No more leaks. The vents behind the rear seat back are also a known source for water entry.
Yep I have stains on both side of my headliner in the rear…think I’m going to put a morimoto third in there. Also felt wet in my rear driver side cubby. Guess I’m a have to look at third break light and the exhauster vents and replace them with the updated design. Pretty sure I’m out of warranty so that blows.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Update for those interested in my Water, Water leak saga:
A brief summary - after multiple dealer visits to fix my four (4) cabin leaks, three of the leaks were finally traced to the rear window frame. They found three cracks in the frame. Those are covered under the new extended warranty, so that’s good. The bad is availability of replacement parts. At my last visit on 18 March, they told me a week to get the new rear window and frame. Hadn’t heard from them, so this morning I called the service department. After some back and fore, they find out from the distributor that the parts are not available and have no ETA. They will try to find the parts they can, but apparently the logistical planning by FCA has not been what it should’ve been to support the new warranty: the warranty replacements are just not readily available. So I’ll get a cover for the truck to keep the water out - I live in FL and it rains a lot this time of year. …..
And I’ll wait till the parts show up. An extended warranty is nice but it would be nicer if they had planned and had stock available for the expected requirements…….