Water, water, everywhere……

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
…….And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink……
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner …….sometimes, I feel like that inside my 2020 RAM Laramie.
I posted about my leaky RAM several weeks ago - leaks from the overhead left rear corner and the driver’s floorboard. Took her to the dealer, was told I needed new driver side door & frame seals and that the rear center stop light was the source of the rear overhead leak. The headliner was stained in that area. The driver door seals would cost me $400.00, the center stop light leak was covered under the extended warranty. Ok, so I wait three weeks for all parts to arrive. Got a call Friday that all parts were in, scheduled Monday (yesterday) for the work. Told them I didn’t want the driver side door seals replaced as I could not duplicate the problem - couldn’t get that seal to leak, water is not coming thru those seals. That carpet and the underlay padding were wet - they are all dry now - just can’t locate where the leak is. The dealer did the warranty work for the center stop light, took a couple of hours. Bought her home and hosed her down. Checked inside and there was the leak, same place as before, rear left corner of the cab. Also, now there are two other leak points around the top of the center sliding window that I hadn’t noticed before or are new. Taking her back in today for part two. Will advise…….

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Update — took the RAM in to the dealership this morning. They looked more closely now since there are three leaks and found the rear widow frame cracked……in three places. Will have to replace the rear window and frame. Waiting on parts again, but with luck, could have it back tomorrow. And hopefully this time with no leaks……Will advise for those interested.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are they replacing the rear window under the warranty extension?

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes, it’s covered under the extended warranty. Just got to wait on parts and glass……..Maybe a week.
Also, they think that the rear window leak might be responsible for the accumulation of water in the drivers floor board/carpet area, however, I don’t see that ….

Last edited:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I was looking at the back window channel the other before I took my truck in. It's a horrible design. The third brake light is recessed and all the water off the roof runs into the recess and then into the recessed back window channel. Same thing with roof channels above the doors, they run into the back window recess channel. So basically, a lot of water off the roof, runs into the top of the top of back window recess channel, hoping the seal stays 100%. (also, hoping the water doesn't freeze, expand and damage the seal.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
As I said, my frame has three cracks, so enough water intruded to stain the headliner ( which is NOT covered by the extended warranty) and drip down onto the rear passenger seat back. Surprisingly, the carpet is ok……

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I said, my frame has three cracks, so enough water intruded to stain the headliner ( which is NOT covered by the extended warranty) and drip down onto the rear passenger seat back. Surprisingly, the carpet is ok……
how do you plan on cleaning the head liner to remove the stain?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hydrogen peroxide. Clean white rags dampened with clean water, apply the hydrogen peroxide to the damp rag and gently work it into the stained area. Let it dry and repeat the procedure. After two tries you’ll see that the only thing that remains is the “line” where the stain ended and the unstained material meet. Repeat the process concentrating on only the area with the line. Hydrogen peroxide has a gentle foaming action to lift the stain but isn’t harsh enough to discolor the material.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question…I was kinda hoping for tips and suggestions here.

These are the first 4 hits of many. :cool:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a Star Online Publication case #1923000026 release date 5/29/2019 for water leak at A pillar onto floor, the driver's side front fender has to be removed and sprayed W Water to see if it migrates to LT or RT drivers foot scuff area.
A leak check adhesive has to be used to seal that seam, nowhere does it state door weatherstrip molding needs to be replaced!!!

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
There is a Star Online Publication case #1923000026 release date 5/29/2019 for water leak at A pillar onto floor, the driver's side front fender has to be removed and sprayed W Water to see if it migrates to LT or RT drivers foot scuff area.
A leak check adhesive has to be used to seal that seam, nowhere does it state door weatherstrip molding needs to be replaced!!!
Thanks. Yes, I’ve seen this one. However, it’s not part of the extended warranty program, so I’d have to pay to get that work done. Pulling a fender sound expensive. I just hope that’s not my problem……..but afraid it may be….

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Yes, I’ve seen this one. However, it’s not part of the extended warranty program, so I’d have to pay to get that work done. Pulling a fender sound expensive. I just hope that’s not my problem……..but afraid it may be….

Where is your shark fin antenna located and have you checked it for leaks? The antenna on my 2018 leaked and presented as condensation on the interior windshield in the morning. My antenna is at the front of the cab. The condensation was considerable and required a squeegee and towel to remove. A bad leak could easily find its way to the front floorboards. You can test it out with a simple hack. Clean the outer area of the antenna and cab body, then use latex caulk to seal it. Latex is removable and doesn’t leave the residue silicone does if you need to make the leak repair permanent.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Yep, the shark fin is noted to leak as well. My shark fin is center aft, just forward of the center stop light. I thought it might be an issue, but I’ll address it myself . Right now the rear window frame is the prime culprit and needs to by fixed. Between the dealership having already fixed the center stop light (still leaked afterward), and now going to address the rear window frame cracking, and then me siliconing the shark fin, all the known rear cabin leaks should be fixed. But I’m still concerned about the leak at the drivers floorboard area. Anyone know when/if RAM addressed that fender seam leak problem in production?

Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hydrogen peroxide. Clean white rags dampened with clean water, apply the hydrogen peroxide to the damp rag and gently work it into the stained area. Let it dry and repeat the procedure. After two tries you’ll see that the only thing that remains is the “line” where the stain ended and the unstained material meet. Repeat the process concentrating on only the area with the line. Hydrogen peroxide has a gentle foaming action to lift the stain but isn’t harsh enough to discolor the material.

can you spray the peroxide onto the stain? maybe mix 50/50?

also white distilled vinegar might also work. wife uses that to clean white socks.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you spray the peroxide onto the stain? maybe mix 50/50?

also white distilled vinegar might also work. wife uses that to clean white socks.

I’ve never tried spraying the hydrogen peroxide on but it’s pretty mild, doubt it could hurt.

OP
OP
ColesRAM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
hydrogen peroxide Is an oxidizer and as such has a bleaching effect. While removing the water stain, could it bleach out the headliner color?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357