Extended Warranties worth it on used Ram's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the max care unlimited miles, unlimited time warranty from my dealer. cost me $2950 with a $100 per occurrence deductible. To me this was a no brainer. Here is a link to whats covered and whats not. I believe you can buy for a used dodge car 3 yrs old and up to 48k miles. Look into this as i might be incorrect.

MOPAR Vehicle Protection | Extended Warranty | Chrysler Group LLC.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Honestly, just start a "oh ****" fund savings account and just drop regular contributions into it for any unplanned issues.

Non OEM extended warranties are pig in a poke. Most go belly up or just find 100 different ways to not honor it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I bought the max care unlimited miles, unlimited time warranty from my dealer. cost me $2950 with a $100 per occurrence deductible. To me this was a no brainer. Here is a link to whats covered and whats not. I believe you can buy for a used dodge car 3 yrs old and up to 48k miles. Look into this as i might be incorrect.

MOPAR Vehicle Protection | Extended Warranty | Chrysler Group LLC.

It is a Canadian market vehicle imported in the USA. He is not going to get any FCA USA warranty support either direct or through MOPAR vehicle protection.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure where you live but noodle around in car-gurus and compare what you are shopping for. See if you can find one like you are looking at. I looked up 2104 Sport Rams

Looks like quite a few in your price range with 8 cc 6'4" beds.

Oh I've been on CarGurus and AutoTrader for what seems like forever. This has been the 2nd best deal that's within 500 miles. I've found a few out of state but flying there and driving or shipping negates my savings.

Last one I found was a 14 CC with 5'7" bed with 41k miles for $29,999 but it sold before I could get to it on other side of WA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Honestly, just start a "oh ****" fund savings account and just drop regular contributions into it for any unplanned issues.

Non OEM extended warranties are pig in a poke. Most go belly up or just find 100 different ways to not honor it.

Bingo. first major repair they are going to do everything in their power to drag it out and deny the claim. what the hell is the point. if you want a warranty buy from a FCA dealer.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So how many of you would buy this truck? This is the one I'm looking at here locally:

2014 Ram 1500

That is a tough call. Highly loaded with options means more things to possibly break in my opinion. I would lean to pass but that is not to say it is the right answer for you, just my preferences.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a tough call. Highly loaded with options means more things to possibly break in my opinion. I would lean to pass but that is not to say it is the right answer for you, just my preferences.

Ya I want fully loaded lol

I've been holding out for the right truck because of how man options I want. Like I said on this, only option missing was power folding mirrors and they are willing to do them with 1A Auto at no additional cost

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me it's a beautiful truck and it's fully loaded but like mentioned above more goodies means more problems maybe not at the beggining new but later on and with the miles it has it's not long enough for problems to start occurring. Personally I think it has high Milage for my liking. It already has 55k and in my instance I drive around 15k miles a year so that if it's the same or more for you in two years it will have around 85k and I think that's a lot for a two year old truck to you. Maybe try looking into a new truck and with the money you would spend in the extended warranty thing would even out its not hard to get a similar truck around that same price
Good luck with your choice

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it's a beautiful truck and it's fully loaded but like mentioned above more goodies means more problems maybe not at the beggining new but later on and with the miles it has it's not long enough for problems to start occurring. Personally I think it has high Milage for my liking. It already has 55k and in my instance I drive around 15k miles a year so that if it's the same or more for you in two years it will have around 85k and I think that's a lot for a two year old truck to you. Maybe try looking into a new truck and with the money you would spend in the extended warranty thing would even out its not hard to get a similar truck around that same price
Good luck with your choice

Agree on high mileage. Only reason I consider the mileage a non issue is I drive less than 8k per year. My daily commute is less than 2 miles. I live right next door to my wrk. Only time I drive a ton is hunting season.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My current 99 F150, I bought at 100k miles and it's barely at 185k now 10 years later lol - but i have replaced a motor and transmission on it.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So how many of you would buy this truck? This is the one I'm looking at here locally:

2014 Ram 1500

I paid that price for my '16 sport, with all the ram discounts and rebates out there you can get a brand new one. I found one on ebay witht he options i wanted and the local dealer matched their price.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid that price for my '16 sport, with all the ram discounts and rebates out there you can get a brand new one. I found one on ebay witht he options i wanted and the local dealer matched their price.

You paid $30k for your 16?!

I know this listing is $34,999 but I have them down to $30k right now and adding aftermarket power folding mirrors at no cost

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yikes... stay away from aftermarket warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. Just full of exceptions and weasel clauses. As mentioned, if you want a warranty go with the Mopar one. I paid $2300 for mine w/100 deductible and have already god about $500 use from it in the form of a free rental while in for some warranty work.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes... stay away from aftermarket warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. Just full of exceptions and weasel clauses. As mentioned, if you want a warranty go with the Mopar one. I paid $2300 for mine w/100 deductible and have already god about $500 use from it in the form of a free rental while in for some warranty work.

Ya that's exactly what I'm thinking if I buy the truck

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

2014 Ram 1500

Realistically that truck if it doesn't have air suspension is a $52,000 vehicle. Ain't nobody buying it for $35,000 without a gun new.

Tough call with the mileage but the max warranty is over anyway. Just powertrain now.

Good luck on your quest.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got them down to $29,750 but would have to pay them to uninstall mirrors instead of it being part of deal

So I backed out for now.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You paid $30k for your 16?!

I know this listing is $34,999 but I have them down to $30k right now and adding aftermarket power folding mirrors at no cost

Sticker was $45k with discounts and rebates and talked them down to $35900 before warranty. So yes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517