Factory remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
When i press to start the truck it starts no problem. the thing is that it only stays started for maybe 5 minutes. Can someone tell me how to change the runtime on it or thats how its supposed to work and theres nothing i can do about it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't change the factory runtime. I thought it was closer to 10 minutes but I'm not sure. Only way to change it would be to go with an aftermarket remote start. You can program them to run as long as you want.

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Really?

There has to be a way. Mine has never shut off on me. Don't know if I have ever went over the 10 minutes but over 5 for sure.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure about the Rams, but the one in my Charger is about 10min, but no, you can't change the runtime, that's kinda hard wired.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Factory run time is 15 minutes...works for me.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I get roughly 5 minute run time when started with remote starter. I could bypass and install aftermarket system right.
Yes, you need to check for CEL's. If there's a fault somewhere it'll shut the truck down, there could be a hidden CEL.

OP
OP
MTLHEMI

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes, you need to check for CEL's. If there's a fault somewhere it'll shut the truck down, there could be a hidden CEL.

I had a p0440 code. Just scanned this morning.Changed gas cap and reset. We will see if it comes back on the ride home I guess.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I had a p0440 code. Just scanned this morning.Changed gas cap and reset. We will see if it comes back on the ride home I guess.
That code will shut it down, it runs just long enough to see the code then shuts down.

OP
OP
MTLHEMI

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That code will shut it down, it runs just long enough to see the code then shuts down.

I was on my home tonight and gas cap appeared in the display on my cluster. I know from experience that could be the p0440 code. Thing is I put a dodge original Saturday. Could it be my filler neck maybe

OP
OP
MTLHEMI

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I will clear the code tomorrow morning and see if it comes back maybe

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Really?

There has to be a way. Mine has never shut off on me. Don't know if I have ever went over the 10 minutes but over 5 for sure.

There really is no way to adjust factory runtime on the remote starts, at least not without some special dealer tool. They just don't give you that kind of control over vehicles anymore. At least not on the 3rd gens. I'm not sure if you can do it on 4th gens with a tuner or something, but I doubt it. Mine runs for at least 10 minutes. I've never had it shut itself off on me either. It tells you in the manual what the maximum runtime is, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

But to the op, I was gonna say check for any codes but somebody beat me to it. If a code pops up during the remote start it will shut down. As well as some other things like if the hood is popped, low oil pressure, high coolant temperature etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MTLHEMI

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I cleaned the p0440 code drove to work. No more code but gascap is still showing in the center display of the cluster. It's a brand new cap. Filler neck looks solid too. I'm stumped I think

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk