Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bert S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here we go! The problem I am having is this. Ram 2019 Classic with factory Brake controller and a Travel trailer.

I know my trailer brakes lock with a P3 Tekonsha aftermarket brake controller on my old Grand Cherokee. On my new 1500 Classic, even at 10 volts, the trailer brakes work but don't come close to locking at full force , @ 15 MPH.

So I decided to unplug the 4 pin OEM BC, use a harness and try my P3 in the Ram. ( I however left the other plug in the ITBM OEM) ( Maybee I was supposed to unplug it). I got a slight burnt smell coming from the trailer plug, and the P3 was also not blocking the wheels , even at 14 volts ( while it was blocking them on there Jeep at 6.5V.)

Does anyone know what I should try. I am thinking it' s the Ram's wiring that is weak. Why would the P3 work on the Jeep and not on the Ram?

I read somewhere that the ground wire on the Ram is weak.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The P3 has a troubleshooting function where you can read out how much current is being sent to the brakes. Read the current on the Jeep and compare the current on the RAM. You mentioned a burning smell coming from the trailer plug. That usually happens due to high resistance. Check the plug for corrosion and possibly replace it.

JKinni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My trailer break issue is goofy. I have and error code on factory controller sb! that says to check trailer break wiring even when trailer is not plugged in. When I do have my trailer plugged in to clears this error and functions fine. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I've checked for loose connections, water, shorts, etc and have not found anything. 2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L