Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bashby80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I can now so you know mine works great but I have never pursued getting it to show up on evic because I hate trying to get dealer to do anything out of the box and it works awesome without flash so I am okay with it. I did not want any other brake and I did not care how hard I had to work at factory look.

$miley

Did you send those notes? If so, I never got them. They'd help a lot.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did it in my '09 I can look up my notes and tell you colors and such if you would like. Shoot me a PM. It works great I usually use on 5.5 setting.
I leave mine on 10 setting unless I am hauling an empty trailer, my trailer weighs less than 4,000lbs, or I am in stop and go traffic. It is a really nice system, a little quirky to learn and not as adaptable as many aftermarkets, but it is nice to not have it intruding on leg space.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I wish i had seen this in January, would have been nice to have that factory look.

njedrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone figure out a way to have an aftermarket controller fit into the space for the factory unit? I'm looking to buy an aftermarket unit, but I'd really like it to stay sleek and flush on in interior. Any thoughts? Thanks

~New to the forum!

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
My truck didn't come with one either. So i took it to the local Dodge dealer and they were able to put the factory one in for me. And they reimiged my computer so that it works with my truck, and shows ip on my dash board. i think it cost me like 150 to install plus the trailer brake

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I talk with the dealer tonight about the brake controller and he said that the kits cost $236.00 he said that this kit included the wires, bracket and the module so do I need the bracket for this controller or just go to that site buy the controller and let them install it? I need to try to get setup because I'm going to be getting a TT soon.

Last edited:

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
Do you have the space one the side of your steering wheel where it would go

DepsilonD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the factory controller in my 2012 Express last night in about 10 minutes. I will be towing my 56 Plymouth in a couple of weeks so I will let you all know how it goes.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome, let us know.

fyrftr422

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also buy the trailer brake controller kit, comes complete with the controller, 3 additional screws to mount it and 2 different coloured bezels (black and tan) for whichever interior dash colour you have as well as full instructions. I found it for $188 on ebay (Quirk Parts out of MA). Part # 82212548

The dealership up here near me in the Great White North wanted to charge me, with install, more than $400 with tax. I bought the Quirk part instead, installed it in about 15 minutes and it works. It isn't flashed but depending on dealership charges for this, I might not bother with it (although I have MOPAR fog lights I need to get flashed, so might as well kill 2 birds with one visit).

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What exactly does the EVIC have to do with the factory brake controller? Our Mopar controller was part of the build of the truck but I have no idea what the correlation with the EVIC is. (have only towed once tho)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It allows driver to see info such as braking percentage and if the trailer is connected.

$miley

hemi al

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
help on 2009 brake controller

hi smiley wondering if you can help me out. 2009 like to install 2010 brake controller need help on the second plug. where are the yellow and green wires for and where are they pluged in at. the other plug (blue ) is clear enough to understand in the photo . thanks

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
hi smiley wondering if you can help me out. 2009 like to install 2010 brake controller need help on the second plug. where are the yellow and green wires for and where are they pluged in at. the other plug (blue ) is clear enough to understand in the photo . thanks

Look real good underneath there you should found two plug and your controller should have a spot for both. I know that not all get two plug but you should have gotten the right controller for your rig.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Since you have 2009 you have to splice into other wires to make it work. If I recall the wires I shoved way up under column mine were already pulled down some from installing auto start. There will be white wires with traces of of colors you need and colored wires with traces of color you need. If you need help with which actual wires refer to write up that is out there or let me know and ill crawl up under there to find out which ones they are again. The only catch with line is the head lights have to be one to see the controller numbers.

hemi al

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
smileys brake controller

what are the three wires for on the controller ,is for lighting up the digital display . positive and negative or what ? in your photos it looks like 2 green and one yellow . thanks for your help

cbrycer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2013 will not allow you to add the aftermarket type. Has a strang configuration
If you have a 2012 or older useing an after market is the way to go. Get a prodigy break controler and the dodge wire harness. Tbhe plug is underneath the dash
This will save you considerable money.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2013 will not allow you to add the aftermarket type. Has a strang configuration
If you have a 2012 or older useing an after market is the way to go. Get a prodigy break controler and the dodge wire harness. Tbhe plug is underneath the dash
This will save you considerable money.

^This

The Prodigy is a highly respected brake controller. Over on the RV forums I belong to, it's so well liked that people install them even when they already have factory brake controllers already there.