Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The 2013 will not allow you to add the aftermarket type. Has a strang configuration
If you have a 2012 or older useing an after market is the way to go. Get a prodigy break controler and the dodge wire harness. Tbhe plug is underneath the dash
This will save you considerable money.

It may be nice but it is not integrated or built into the dash like the factory one is. The point of this thread is the factory one not someone saying it is easier to do what most people do. I love that I have something only dreamers can have a factory trailer brake in a 2009 Ram when I was told it could not be done. My factory one works perfect and looks like it came in the truck no random trailer brake screwed in and added later. I have had zero issues with mine.

liredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is like bringing back the dead, lol. But do i need two of the same factory wire harnesses or are there two separate harnesses that need to be used as i can only find one harnesses for sale?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know this is like bringing back the dead, lol. But do i need two of the same factory wire harnesses or are there two separate harnesses that need to be used as i can only find one harnesses for sale?

There is only one available from what I could find at least when I did it. I ended up just using spade connectors and that worked for me just make sure they fit tight and that they are isolated so you don't have any wires touching connections they should not.

$miley

GotMopar73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, new to the forum and having some issues with the install of the factory brake controller into my 2009 half ton.

I ordered the following parts online:
68146918AA - module
56045795AB - wiring harness
1EB13XDVAA - Bezel

I followed the installation manual (attached) that I found online on forums (great job to the creators of this). I used the Mopar wiring harness and spliced in the 4-prong yazaki connector on the other end - seems straight forward. I also used a yazaki connector for the 3-prong plug and followed the instructions to hard splice in the other end of the connector to the trucks wiring harness. Everything went well and seems good.

Fire the truck up after install, factory controller lights up and seems to get power fine, but I am getting an error message "Sb" and the trailer disconnected light flashes, that's all that it will do. Doing some digging on the internet I find that this code means "short to battery on the brake output". I interpret that this means somehow power is getting to the brakes prior to pushing the brake in the truck. After this error I double checked all of the wiring I did, ensured everything was in the right position which it was. I took out the 4-prong pigtail and tested each connection for continuity and isolation from the other wires, all checks out good. I tested the trailer brake output at the 7-pin plug at the back of the truck to see if it was somehow grounding out, but it has open loop when tested to the ground of the truck. Also with the truck on, whether the brake controller is installed or removed there is 0 volts at the trailer brake output at the back of the truck. This led me to believe that maybe I had a defective module, but swapping it out with one of or 1-ton work trucks the module worked fine, and the 1-ton module flashed the same code in my truck...so the issue is with my truck.

I followed the instruction manual exactly except I did not have any 22awg and 20 awg wires for the 3-prong plug so I just used 16awg that I had readily available and in the right colors. I asked some guys if this would effect the can-bus system and they said no It should be fine with 16awg for this short length. Could this potentially be the issue?

I am going to take apart the 7-pin plug at the back tonight and see if I can find any issues with it, but other than that I don't know what to try.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GotMopar73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

Problem solved.

The .pdf instruction manual states to connect the 4-prong connectors together position 1 to position 1, position 2 to position 2, 3 to 3 & 4 to 4. However the yazaki connector is labeled:

1 2
3 4

Whereas the dodge wiring diagram is

1 2
4 3

therefore I had the 12V and blue trailer wire backwards in the yazaki connector. I found this out by disconnecting the blue wire from the connector and powering the unit up, still was giving the Sb error code, then I thought to switch the 12v and brake power wires and no she works like a charm!

Hope this can help someone else who may have the same mistake.

jzaazouh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey $miley. Great Job on the Controller...I'm trying to set up my 09 Laramie Crew with the factory ITBM. If you still have the instructions, could you send them to me? My truck has neither plug coming off of the harness behind the kick panel.

Thx John

IMG_0774.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'll have to look it has been a long time and a couple moves since I installed mine.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Here is what you need but not my own.

[yt]NbWYJIg3B9g[/yt]

jzaazouh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply but that video doesn't tell you what pins go to where both to the blue plug and the ignition wires...can't really tell form the video

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oh I think I can find that back let me look.

Tot-tot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Im new to the ram trucks and i bought a 2011 big horn quad cab this summer. It looks like the past owner took out the brake controller (the back of the bezel it cut out). But I click the like and it shows one and has a picture of the one that will go in my truck but at the bottom of the page it has a listing for another one but has no picture but a higher price. Is there a part number list for all the different years
Thanks in advance

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The link I posted is to the module aka the controller.
The other item listed below that at the link is just the bezel it fits into.

Tot-tot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks just wanted to know if there was a difference in the too i see different part numbers and prices but they must be the same then

Bert S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^This

The Prodigy is a highly respected brake controller. Over on the RV forums I belong to, it's so well liked that people install them even when they already have factory brake controllers already there.

Is there any concern plugging in a Tekonsha P3 or other aftermarket, on a RAM factory equipped with a Brake controller? Will the P3 override the factory one when plugged. Could it create problems?

Bert S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^This

The Prodigy is a highly respected brake controller. Over on the RV forums I belong to, it's so well liked that people install them even when they already have factory brake controllers already there.

Is there any concern plugging in a Tekonsha P3 or other aftermarket, on a RAM factory equipped with a Brake controller? Will the P3 override the factory one when plugged. Could it create problems?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there any concern plugging in a Tekonsha P3 or other aftermarket, on a RAM factory equipped with a Brake controller? Will the P3 override the factory one when plugged.
From what I've read, yes and no. The trailer brake part is the four pin plug, that's what you use the wiring adapter to plug into the P3.
With the sales code for the trailer brake active, if you pull the 10 pin plug out of the ITBM you'll get a CEL.
I would check to see if the software for the ITBM is up to date before abandoning it. There was software update a few years ago regarding the ITBM. The controller works seamlessly with the truck and it uses vehicle speed and braking force to determine the amount of trailer brake applied.
My buddy tows a fiver that's over 16K using the factory controller with no problems stopping the truck.

Bert S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From what I've read, yes and no. The trailer brake part is the four pin plug, that's what you use the wiring adapter to plug into the P3.
With the sales code for the trailer brake active, if you pull the 10 pin plug out of the ITBM you'll get a CEL.
I would check to see if the software for the ITBM is up to date before abandoning it. There was software update a few years ago regarding the ITBM. The controller works seamlessly with the truck and it uses vehicle speed and braking force to determine the amount of trailer brake applied.
My buddy tows a fiver that's over 16K using the factory controller with no problems stopping the truck.

It's a new 2019 but I imagine that the software could need an update.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I put a P3 in my 2016 2500 CTD. I plugged the 4 pin connector into the Tekonsha adapter harness. I unplugged the factory ITBM 10 pin connector and did not get any CEL lights. A code was stored the BCM about lost communications with ITBM but no light.

FF to new trailer. The P3 never seemed to be able to sync the braking between the new trailer and the truck. The P3 worked better than the OEM one on my old trailer. I swapped back to the OEM one and it works perfectly with the new trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca