FCM issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Priesthemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5 .7 hemi
My right hand headlamp low beam stopped working. I changed the bulb and no change. Determined that the lamp control module FCM is faulty. I purchased this truck used for $800.00. A new FCM (lamp control module) is $80 from Ebay or $400 from a dealer. Apparently these modules fail and any lamp can stop working. I really did not want to invest any more funds in a truck that has over 250K miles on it. So I decided to try adding a 12 vdc relay that is controlled by the left side low beam that is still functioning.
I used the fuse #11 that powers the high and low beam lamps on the right side of the vehicle.
It works great! Total cost was less than $20. I used a single pole single throw relay with an integrated clamping diode to protect the FCM module from regenerative back flow when the relay is de-energised. Not sure if it's an issue, but better safe than sorry. All good for now.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet! Wish I knew more about electronics.