Fender flare woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpd0244

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Blackout Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Newb here, having a bit of a problem. I have a 2014 blackout express 1500 crew cab. put on a level kit, wheels/tires, then decided to go with a Iron bull front bumper. Love the bumper, fitment wasnt exactly stellar but its pretty close. Heres the problem....I want to put a set of fender flares on this thing because my 35's are flinging rocks and crap all over the wheel well lip and do you think I could find ONE SET that will fit? I need the flare to stop at the line where the headlight runs diagonally downward toward the wheel well. Everything I have found goes too far. I am afraid my only option is to have a body shop cut it and fabricate the end on it flat.....which scares me as to how that will look. The bumper sticks out maybe 1/2" on each side so it shouldnt be too bad but....Has anyone got a better idea? I will post pics later but the truck has following mods

18x9 XD Misfits
35x12.5 Cooper STT pro
rough country level kit
tonneau cover
spray in liner
Iron bull Defender 4-winch ready (no winch)
piaa fog & driving lights
20% tint all the way around
Iron cross HD step bars

Im sure theres more like kn filter and stuff but thats the jist of it. I want to do flares and rear bumper. Then id like to put a better stereo system in it as the express one kinda sucks. Anyways....any ideas on the flares gents?

OP
OP
J

jpd0244

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Blackout Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
heres a few pics

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 445

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
That bumper looks nice on there. It's mounted awfully high and tight compared to how my ranch hand bumper is mounted. Here's a pic of mine with flares installed. I feel like if your bumper was 1.5" lower the normal flares would fit but it looks to be on there correctly for how the bumper was designed. Cutting the flares off would just make a scoop for crap that I'm sure you don't want. Have you asked the bumper mfg if they know of any that are compatible?

Attachments

• KIMG0154.jpg
    KIMG0154.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
J

jpd0244

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Blackout Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, yeah the bumper comes up higher. I asked them and they were not overly helpful. If I cut the end of the flare, I'll have to have the body shop fabricate an end with the scrap piece to prevent having the hole like you say. I see your bumper has the filler piece above it. Mine does not. My bumper takes place of that. Nice truck you have there

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Thanks! I just bought it this summer. It was rock chipped something terrible. Did $13xx worth of paint and added mud flaps, flares and hood protector so I don't have to do it again.

If you get the flare cut off tight to the top of the bumper just run the weather seal between flare and bumper. I'm assuming the flare doesn't stick out farther than the bumper...It probably does though.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,
Flaps protect against slinging debris from the tire on the lower panel, flares protect from slinging further up. I have flaps and I still get spray and debris coming off at 45 degrees and higher.
I would like to get some flares and cut them to match the flaps. That would give the best overall protection.
Good luck op, you could cut the flares and then use fiber glass or sheet metal to fab your own end caps.

preachp

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those look good. What kind of tires are you running and do you live up here in the north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Been looking at flares for mine as well. Came across these. Look like they might be 2 piece? Not very aggressive though.

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/data/2/medium/photo_234_.jpg
They are one piece, that line is just for "styling". They literally matched the lines of the truck.

That being said, these will be a good option for modifying as the piece you need removed lines up with that line perfectly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Jp5_Txn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good! :waytogo: Did you have to buy different mounting brackets? I have an express also and have been looking for a bumper that will fit. I have seen pics of trucks with your bumper and flares on but unfortunately don't know what brand they are.

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
Those look good. What kind of tires are you running and do you live up here in the north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that was directed to me but if your referring to the link, its from google and not my truck! And im running toyo open country at 2's but the p rated version. And im from "the real north"!! (Canada) although for here i live in the south lol. Although you probably get as much snow as us if not more lol! And if your post wasnt directed to me.....my appologies.....carry on!!! :)

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if that was directed to me but if your referring to the link, its from google and not my truck! And im running toyo open country at 2's but the p rated version. And im from "the real north"!! (Canada) although for here i live in the south lol. Although you probably get as much snow as us if not more lol! And if your post wasnt directed to me.....my appologies.....carry on!!! :)

No problem. That was directed to you. I thought that was your rig and really liked those tires. Yes, you are in the real north, lol. We play winter, you live it...

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
flares won't protect your truck u need mud flaps buddy

This , as they stop approx 90 % of rocks I believe. However even with mudflaps I had the duraflaps and still do, I did get debris and dirt especially on the front fenders at approx 2 O clock position, putting on fender flares now eliminated the 10 % of other debris being thrown up.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wheel to wheel Nerf bars also help...as long as their not Amp Research Steps.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpd0244

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Blackout Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do have mud flaps. I want flares to cover the stuff that comes off above the mud flaps. I have seen those flares. That line is right where I would need to cut. It would be a matter of covering the end at that point. That appears to be the only option aside of cutting some style of pocket flare at the same point and trying to fabricate an end onto it same as I would that style you showed. I am most worried about the fender edge at this point as I am starting to see nicks in my paint there.

OP
OP
J

jpd0244

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Blackout Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good! :waytogo: Did you have to buy different mounting brackets? I have an express also and have been looking for a bumper that will fit. I have seen pics of trucks with your bumper and flares on but unfortunately don't know what brand they are.

No it came with the correct brackets. Only gripe I have about the Iron Bull bumper is that they do not have instructions that come with it. Not that its entirely all that difficult but I didnt want to remove stuff I didnt have to. The fitment is off by 1/4" but I can live with that. I likely will be going with a different rear bumper than Iron Bull. If I had to do it over again, Id probably go with someone else but I liked the coating on the Iron Bull as its kind of like a spray in liner type coating where powdercoat tends to chip on gravel. Lots of gravel where I live.

Jp5_Txn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it came with the correct brackets. Only gripe I have about the Iron Bull bumper is that they do not have instructions that come with it. Not that its entirely all that difficult but I didnt want to remove stuff I didnt have to. The fitment is off by 1/4" but I can live with that. I likely will be going with a different rear bumper than Iron Bull. If I had to do it over again, Id probably go with someone else but I liked the coating on the Iron Bull as its kind of like a spray in liner type coating where powdercoat tends to chip on gravel. Lots of gravel where I live.

I'm guessing it was for a sport model? If you don't mind could you give me the part number or point me in the right direction. Everything I find is for sport models only.