Fiat-Chrysler becoming “Stellantis”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Instead of chopping Chrysler just make it the electric car division. I don't want one, but demand is growing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's all better now.

Fiat has been so good for American vehicles, no doubt adding Peugeot to the mix will make it even better!

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So this is what we get, America’s Soul, the Love of our automobiles unlike any other Country in the world being owned by any another country in the world.
Damn shame.

More than that it is heartbreaking. Seem that everything that was good and right is disappearing.

During the last economic crash; they blamed it in the housing bubble that GOVERNMENT meddling caused; Chrysler and GM was on the skids waiting for a government hand out but FORD was not.
What did Ford do to survive it? Simple; they saw the hand writing on the wall and started shutting down plants and sending production to Mexico and other places long before GM and Chrysler. They couldn't have done it without NAFTA making it legal to send American production out of country.

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Stella!!!! Seriously, that name is rather bad.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Can we get sliding doors on crossovers and SUVs though?

I'm being serious.

I'd like to see the reverse rear doors as an option on the extended cabs again. I know RAM was first on turning them around, but that entry room and usefulness is extremely good. Since my kids are off to college now, I really don't need a crew cab any more.

David F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7l diesel
i think every thing will be just fine. More money to help continue development in US. Detroit will still have the US operation in hand.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PEUGEOT??????? Mon Dieu, first Italy and then France-----what next? They both make decent cars for their roads and drivers but the USA is a LOT different than Europe. Guess my second gen is good for another couple hundred thousand miles. Art

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You don't merge to kill off what's working with the various parts. I suspect any changes to Ram and Jeep will be minimal to non-existent. I'm somewhat surprised Chrysler has struggled on as long as it has. It's a brand without consistent branding at this point. Dodge is for performance, and consistently marketed as such. Chrysler is...what?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Chrysler was supposed to be the luxury end of the brand, but that badge doesn't carry the weight of a Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus etc as such.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Scared of what they’re going to do with the powertrains, moreover they better keep the Pentastar right where it belongs. At the top, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More than that it is heartbreaking. Seem that everything that was good and right is disappearing.

During the last economic crash; they blamed it in the housing bubble that GOVERNMENT meddling caused; Chrysler and GM was on the skids waiting for a government hand out but FORD was not.
What did Ford do to survive it? Simple; they saw the hand writing on the wall and started shutting down plants and sending production to Mexico and other places long before GM and Chrysler. They couldn't have done it without NAFTA making it legal to send American production out of country.

So then let me ask you something; if Ford did all that you said they did, which yeah, they actually did say that, that they thought that something like this might be coming up so they did what they called as “trimming the fat” then claimed that they didn’t need government help but now onto that something I was going to ask you; if Ford really didn’t need financial help then how come almost 2 years later, why did they “borrow” $6 billion from the government if they say they didn’t need help? You do realize that those two bailouts they gave Chrysler and GM weren’t handouts, they were still loans that had to be paid back. Now why GM only paid back all but 10 million of what they borrowed but at least Chrysler paid all of theirs off and the US treasury actually made a two-billion dollar profit from interest on the money they loaned Chrysler.

Around 2010 is when Ford “borrowed” their money, and they’re not even projected to have that paid off until next year. I’m so sick of hearing people say that Ford didn’t take money from the government because, they did. Sure, they may have said it was for retooling plants, or for research and development on greener electric vehicles but the fact still remains, they took money from the government just the same as GM and Chrysler did, plain and simple.

I don’t really know what GM did to put themselves in such a bind but if anybody knows anything about Chrysler or their past hardships, in my opinion, it’s really no question why Chrysler needed bailed out just because of the plain and simple fact of how after Daimler got done running what was left of Chrysler’s reputation into the ground and then selling them to some private equity firm just made matters so much worse.

I don’t particularly care for the fact that Chrysler is owned by an Italian company but at least one thing I can say, is at least for the most part, fiat leaves them alone lets them do their thing and at least now, maybe Chrysler can focus a lot more on quality instead of quantity now that they really don’t have to work as hard to keep their own heads above water.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a plan to incorporate a French auto manufacturer responsible for Peugeot and Citroën. What hurts is the name Chrysler is disappearing.

It was bad enough with Fiat; their big plan was to import there joke of a car the Fiat 500.
Sub compact that gets mid 20s MPG when by all rights it should be getting 30+ MPG.
NOBODY wanted it. They couldn't hardly give them away. Now this.
Fact is Ma' MoPar has been dead for a long time.

Daimler ***** her, (siphoned money from Chrysler to prop up their failing Mercedes brand) then cut her throat (when Chrysler was tapped out put it up for sale) leaving her for dead. Chery of China was a prospective buyer. Can you imagine Chrysler owned by the Chinese.
"You buy A #1 good Chery Chrysler now!"

But an investment group Cerberus purchased Chrysler with the intent of liquidating the rest of its assets.
But there was so much public backlash from the prospective killing of one of he big 3 they ended up selling it as a whole to Fiat.

They didn’t just end up selling to Fiat, that sale of Chrysler to Fiat was kind of one of the terms that had to be met in order for Chrysler to receive their help from the government; just like how for the longest time when everybody called GM government motors was that was part of their terms was they had to pretty much get rid of everybody in the high office and they actually got replaced with government officials until they came to an agreement on how much they were going to say GM had to pay back of that bailout.

But you’re dead on balls accurate when you talk about Chrysler’s past; that **** show partnership with Daimler and then them selling them off to Cerebrus.

But I don’t know, what I’m really hoping is going to happen is Chrysler’s going to still stick around but when Fiat and that other company form that new company, I’m really hoping that they lose that FCA ******** and just let Chrysler actually look like a subsidiary just the same as all the other companies like Aston Martin, Maserati an alpha Romeo that are already owned.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i dont plan on buying another ram, so i am good.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

So then why are you still here? If you dislike ram so much enough to share with the world that you’re not buying another one then why do you even bother hanging out here? If I had something that I hated as much as what it sounds like you hate yours, I would’ve already done gotten rid of it and got something else I liked.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. I wish somehow Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler would be purchased by an American company. Probably wont happen, but I wish they would.

Maybe that will happen someday but Chrysler as a whole has a long way to go to get their reputation back up and until they’re able to do that sometime in the future I’m afraid they’re stuck with Fiat unless they just try to sell it to somebody else for an offer that nobody can refuse.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They won't mess with the Ram brand much....its making good money right now.... other divisions, namely Chrysler, are on the chopping block for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

True, ram trucks is pretty much their bread and butter but I’d have to see it first before I would believe that they’re going to put Chrysler on the chopping block.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to see Walter Chrysler's name disappear. I've been a Chrysler fan since my first car, a 1966 300. That big sled with a 383 outran a show-off in a Camaro in front of a cute girl.

Been a Mopar guy ever since.

I hated to see the Dodge brothers name removed from the trucks, actually.

And so it goes.

Yeah, I don’t think I was all that happy about seeing the separation of Dodge and Ram but hey, ram trucks is such a large division that I just still can’t disagree with the fact that putting ram trucks in their own division was a good decision.