Finding a good RAM mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I recently purchased a 2017 RAM 1500. Prior to this, I owned a Honda for 12 years and I have a favorite shop that I went to - local family-owned shop - they did great work, were honest, and even tried to save me some $ on some occasions... I'd also see them around town as I live in a somewhat small town.

Only thing is, they specialize in imports, not RAMs.

So I know it's only a matter of time until I need work done on my RAM, and I'd like to ask for some guidance. One option I have is to ask them if they'd still work on the truck. It would still be the same high quality folks, but at the expense of them not being RAM/Mopar experts, assuming they would take it on.

Option #2 would be to take this time to start working on my own vehicle. It sounds interesting to me, and I know I would be capable of doing it skill-wise, but I'm afraid time constraints, having to go buy a bunch of tools, and workspace limitations may not make this super practical. Mostly because I tend to work 10-12 hour days at work more often than not and life has me spent outside of that.

Other than that, do you have any tips on locating a different RAM mechanic? Any good ways to tell if they are the right mechanic? I haven't had to do this in about 12 years...

PS: I'm in San Diego, CA if anyone else on here happens to be local.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm not trying to point out the obvious... Have you asked your fav mechanic shop? I get you saying they work imports... mechanics is mechanics. It's not that much working on things. I work on fighter jets - cars, trucks it's almost the same. Well other than my jets can blow crap up.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm lucky, I have a local guy who installs my parts, and his head mechanic is 60 and drives a Gen 3 1500. He wants to buy my truck!

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It just nuts and bolts. Your preferred shop should have no issue working on A Ram.

As for DIY: it’s mostly just maintenance and mods. If you maintain your truck properly, large repairs will be rare. If you do need to make a large repair and you aren’t sure if you’re in over your head, check the forum and see what problems people have run into. If it takes too much time / special tools / skills, just take it to the shop.