good mechanic/tuner in eastern kentucky area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
everyone has different opinions on this (i've read a lot of forums/posts/listened to more youtubes than i care to admit), good points in several camps... but since i intend to keep this truck until the doors fall off, i've decided to install a high volume oil pump and mds delete to potentially eliminate known problem areas.

the oil pump i'd be crazy enough to do myself, but not the mds delete... and since i'd rather just do it all together i'm wondering if anyone knows of a good shop with dodge/ram experience in eastern kentucky. this would be the first job, ideally somewhere that can dyno tune as well since the next project is long tubes/x-pipe/tune. few local shops, but don't honestly trust them to do more than alignment...other bolt ons i do myself, this is just too into the scary zone for me personally.

also wondering what thoughts are... i know the hellcat pump is a common option, but given scarcity/lead time on oem parts, has anyone got strong opinions on melling? 20% more volume over hellcat, seems like a reputable brand, around the same price, easier to get. if you have done this and have good or bad feedback on mds delete kit/etc happy to listen as well.

thanks for any advice!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
everyone has different opinions on this (i've read a lot of forums/posts/listened to more youtubes than i care to admit), good points in several camps... but since i intend to keep this truck until the doors fall off, i've decided to install a high volume oil pump and mds delete to potentially eliminate known problem areas.

the oil pump i'd be crazy enough to do myself, but not the mds delete... and since i'd rather just do it all together i'm wondering if anyone knows of a good shop with dodge/ram experience in eastern kentucky. this would be the first job, ideally somewhere that can dyno tune as well since the next project is long tubes/x-pipe/tune. few local shops, but don't honestly trust them to do more than alignment...other bolt ons i do myself, this is just too into the scary zone for me personally.

also wondering what thoughts are... i know the hellcat pump is a common option, but given scarcity/lead time on oem parts, has anyone got strong opinions on melling? 20% more volume over hellcat, seems like a reputable brand, around the same price, easier to get. if you have done this and have good or bad feedback on mds delete kit/etc happy to listen as well.

thanks for any advice!
You need to swap the cam to a non-mds cam and then use non-mds lifters,and replace the mds solenoids with the factory non-mds plugs used in the manual transmission Challengers then tune it,to do a proper mds delete.
You can accomplish more by upping your idle rpm then swapping to the higher volumn pumps. A stock pump will create virtually the same pressure at 750 rpm,as the HV pumps do at 560/600 rpm,with the benefit of more oil being flung onto the cam lobes and bottom of the lifters.Defeating the mds via a tune,still leaves the restrictive solenoids in place,which shut off oil flow to the lifter bores when you defeat the mds,but don't replace the solenoids with the block off plugs.
Are you willing to spend the money to swap the cam/lifters and replace the solenoids with the block off plugs,if not,leave the thing stock and utilize the mds to keep oil flowing to the lifter bores.
Spend the 16 minutes it takes to watch this video,and you might change your mind about the mds system,that has never been proven to actually be an issue,it's an internet myth that mds causes lifter issues.

OP
OP
BlackSheepRebel

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the detailed advice @Wild one that video is the one i watched to determine i want to actually delete MDS properly vs "disable" it with the gear limit since that seems to be the worst thing to do in terms of oil flow. that's my main concern, although not having the truck sound like it's farting every time it goes from 4 to 8 cylinders is a strong second.

going to research upping idle... i have alphaobd so hoping that's easy, certainly a lot easier than a new oil pump!

nevermind the alphaobd route:

off to find the right way!

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
So being a majority of my family from or in the area i doubt you finding too many reputable shops without doing some traveling which you didn't specify the area directly. I would assume there would be some in the Somerset area with the car scene they have there but if not I'm sure their is plenty in the Richmond, Lexington, & Louisville area that have some local reputation. More likely to find recommendations on some KY or TN Mopar Facebook pages than anywhere else.

Now as far as the rest it going to be quite the cost going with the MDS delete and the tuning. Personally as suggested by wildone i would look at the tuning aspect first which isn't cheap on its on. Buying a unlocked computer and the programing ect will add up quickly especially if you end up using a shop to do it. There is also plenty of online tuners you can send data logs too that will work off a base tune to get you in a good running state while not dyno tuning works for most. I would go that route and see how it works for you and then if not satisfied do the MDS delete down the road when you want to really start tearing in to the motor.