First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
That oil will work well for the 5.7. I would use the fram synthetic filter. The mopar doesn't seem to filter as well. That is the correct filter for the 5.7

Any synthetic oil will work well as long as it meets the api standard so get what's on sale. Unless you are doing extended drain intervals.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Since you have it, use the mopar, but next time get the synthetic one from Fram or Mobil 1. The one mentioned above is the one you want.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this is your first oil change your going to find out that the factory put the oil filter on with a 10 ft. cheater bar! It's a ***** to get off the first time. I always let the dealer do the first oil change for that reason. Good luck with your project.
Jay

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If this is your first oil change your going to find out that the factory put the oil filter on with a 10 ft. cheater bar! It's a ***** to get off the first time. I always let the dealer do the first oil change for that reason. Good luck with your project.
Jay

just did mine and I agree with them using a cheater bar , i had to sit down and use both hands

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not done by a robot, the guy that tightens them up probably laughs every day at us guys trying to get that damn thing off for the first time. :evillol:
Jay

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum is the step up.....

Short story short - Been told this by friends and family who work with FCA/Ram/Dodge for years. Seen it stop a friends truck help with ticking (not a hemi tick tick)

so - seen tons of videos on why people use it and love it. So I started paying attention and when I got my Hemi, again shot down my throat from family members - make sure you use this oil!!

So- haha that is why I changed.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one told him how messy it's going to be.

One person suggested using a gallon zip lock baggy to remove the filter and allow oil to drip.

It takes 5 minutes and I still out a shop towel on top of steering to catch the last drops

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PAO/Esters doesn't out perform GtL? Just playing, great oil choice, read the oil filter thread in my sig. Pennzoil synthetics most used oil on the ram forum. I'd be looking at 5w30 to maybe protect the cam/lifters a tad better, but I'm sure you will be good.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just pay the local shop $15 to change it and dispose of the oil. I actually see everything they do.
I supply the oil and filter.

No one told him how messy it's going to be.

One person suggested using a gallon zip lock baggy to remove the filter and allow oil to drip.

It takes 5 minutes and I still out a shop towel on top of steering to catch the last drops

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
the Pennzoil ultra 5w-20 disappeared from the walmart website.

5w-30 is still on there for $24.97

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's up with the 5w 30 vs 5w 20? Only have 500 miles on my current RAM but this lifter failure thing has me wanting to do all possible. Would like to start with some good stuff for the 1st change when the time comes.