Fluid Change after many miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i disconnected battery yesterday for 8 hours... drove funny at first but now today it is shifting better... though i have developed a slight rattle on acceration right before it shift second.. also sometimes when i take my foot of the gas. I am hoping his is some sort of rattle from a bolt or heat shield and not the torque converter!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think you quoted the wrong guy,lol.I've been doing yearly fluid changes on my 8 speed since i blew the first one up back in 17,and put a brand new 8 speed in my truck.That's how i got the green sheet,thats fairly famous now,lol.
Rick, when you do your yearly fluid changes, are you using the OE unicorn shizz fluid or something else? Are you doing just a drain and fill or a complete fluid changeout?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick, when you do your yearly fluid changes, are you using the OE unicorn shizz fluid or something else? Are you doing just a drain and fill or a complete fluid changeout?
OEM fluid Ed,i do 2 drain and fills,then on the 3rd one i've been dropping the pan and replacing the filter in my PPE pan.
Works out to roughly 12 to 15000 miles between filter changes.My truck almost makes more miles on the dragstrip then it does on the highway,lol.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some people say new fluid acts as a detergent and will clean all deposits off and cause issues
Exactly. The entire "don't change the fluid on a high mileage trans" is an old farmer's tale that comes from the exact situation stated by the original post. They have 150k miles with no fluid changes and a suspected slight shudder already. They change the fluid, the trans then completely fails a few weeks or months later, and they blame the failure on the fluid change and not the fact the trans had 150k on the original fluid and a shudder already.
Same thing goes for trans flushing....all the people who say it was the cause of the trans failure don't say that the reason they had the flush done to begin with was because it was slipping and acting up. They had it flushed as a last ditch effort to try to make it last longer but it was too late, and the trans would have failed even if they didn't have it flushed.
... and firetrucks cause fires! After all, there is a fire truck at every fire! ;)