Fold Back Seat Forward/Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I have the seats that you push up the part you sit on and it folds up and has the expandable floor cargo board.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to fold the backrest part of the seat FORWARD? There’s plenty of space back there that could be used for storage just not sure how it can be folded forward and down if possible.

Thanks!

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi

YOOOOO!!! You’re the man!!! Thanks!!!!

I think I’ll just be doing this to the single seat not the double back seat for my application.

I was going to do the spacer route because I hate cutting new vehicles up, but seems that if I added the spacers that could potentially be more dangerous vs the cutting method.

Spacers the seat maybe isn’t locked in enough and could move or fly forward vs the cut is still permanently bolted down and will only come forward if it’s folded up to the correct angle (which would be 1 in a million during a crash).

I was actually messing with those bolts the other day and couldn’t pry them off with 18mm socket wrench. Didn’t want to go crazy forcing them, but guess I’ll need to or maybe hammer the socket to break em loose.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
YOOOOO!!! You’re the man!!! Thanks!!!!

I think I’ll just be doing this to the single seat not the double back seat for my application.

I was going to do the spacer route because I hate cutting new vehicles up, but seems that if I added the spacers that could potentially be more dangerous vs the cutting method.

Spacers the seat maybe isn’t locked in enough and could move or fly forward vs the cut is still permanently bolted down and will only come forward if it’s folded up to the correct angle (which would be 1 in a million during a crash).

I was actually messing with those bolts the other day and couldn’t pry them off with 18mm socket wrench. Didn’t want to go crazy forcing them, but guess I’ll need to or maybe hammer the socket to break em loose.

The reason you stated, is why I cut mine, instead of the spacers. The bolts are tight and have red locktite on them. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and then when they were about 1/4 way out I used and impact gun. Over all, pretty easy mod and it adds a lot of storage.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
The reason you stated, is why I cut mine, instead of the spacers. The bolts are tight and have red locktite on them. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and then when they were about 1/4 way out I used and impact gun. Over all, pretty easy mod and it adds a lot of storage.

Upon watching some more videos I think I might have a better solution.

See if I can find 5/8 washers, if not then just a wash pack and stack em, AND get a new LONGER bolts! Doesn’t seem like there’s much the bolts screw in anyway, but if spacing them is losing the little bit it screws in that could potentially be unsafe, but if we spaced and got longer bolts that go all the way down it’s no different than the way it originally was (well minus the locktite).

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
5/8” doesn’t seem like much, but with a 14year old son who is already 6’-1” tall, I needed to keep as much headroom as possible in the back seat, so I just trimmed the brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
5/8” doesn’t seem like much, but with a 14year old son who is already 6’-1” tall, I needed to keep as much headroom as possible in the back seat, so I just trimmed the brackets.

Im going to go this route. I like the idea of having it fold.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Im going to go this route. I like the idea of having it fold.

Your better off adding the 7- 1/2” washers and not cutting the brackets.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
35784763ed9c681658258f0d16fb1399.jpg
Brackets get cut right at the edge of the plastic band. There is still plenty of bracket left to secure the seat to the wall.
686ccd1df1ddf0cea98d538c90f4a5af.jpg
Seat back will release only when the bottom is in this position.

72ffd4c9e9c9d159e7faf88d3eb0b465.jpg
Not a ton of storage, but it keeps my 4’level out of the floor.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Sorry guys for the late update.

Couple days ago after going to Lowe's and Home Depot I was able to find 24 washers and 8 3/4 nuts along with 8 NEWER LONGER BOLTS!!! Was an absolute BI*CH finding those bolts though... but having the longer length means I'm not jeopardizing any seat safety like some who went the all washer route.

The down side was I broke the white plastic tab on one of the back seats... I tried to tape it back but that didn't work, so ended up just wrapping that metal hook with some tape (even though it tears some with each motion) it'll be a temporary fix because I won't be going back there much anyway.

I used to have an entire sterilite tote in the bed of the truck with random BS. I was able to fit ALL OF IT behind the seats!!!!! Amazed how much space was gained!!!!!

Now with my above hardware it still wasn't easily locking without banging the hell out of it, so I used a Dremel to shave it down and smooth out the hooks some.

Someone mentioned the heigh issue with raising, well me or my girl didn't notice anything and she's taller than me at 6'.

If I had to do it all again....I'd probably go with the cutting method honestly...was an absolute BEAST of a task on your own positioning all the seats and maneuvering. Took me 3+ hours I think to do all the above the way I wanted done right.

Plus side I was pretty much able to keep everything stock as far as not cutting and damaging brand new truck.

So happy you guys showed me the ropes, because this is by dar the coolest mod I've done to this truck. Thanks!!!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Sorry guys for the late update.

Couple days ago after going to Lowe's and Home Depot I was able to find 24 washers and 8 3/4 nuts along with 8 NEWER LONGER BOLTS!!! Was an absolute BI*CH finding those bolts though... but having the longer length means I'm not jeopardizing any seat safety like some who went the all washer route.

The down side was I broke the white plastic tab on one of the back seats... I tried to tape it back but that didn't work, so ended up just wrapping that metal hook with some tape (even though it tears some with each motion) it'll be a temporary fix because I won't be going back there much anyway.

I used to have an entire sterilite tote in the bed of the truck with random BS. I was able to fit ALL OF IT behind the seats!!!!! Amazed how much space was gained!!!!!

Now with my above hardware it still wasn't easily locking without banging the hell out of it, so I used a Dremel to shave it down and smooth out the hooks some.

Someone mentioned the heigh issue with raising, well me or my girl didn't notice anything and she's taller than me at 6'.

If I had to do it all again....I'd probably go with the cutting method honestly...was an absolute BEAST of a task on your own positioning all the seats and maneuvering. Took me 3+ hours I think to do all the above the way I wanted done right.

Plus side I was pretty much able to keep everything stock as far as not cutting and damaging brand new truck.

So happy you guys showed me the ropes, because this is by dar the coolest mod I've done to this truck. Thanks!!!

No Pics? :)

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Nah didn't think it was anything special.

Bolts look clean, and so does the Dremel work, but the broken white clip with black electrical tape wrapping it, and blue paint cut D-rings isn't the most appealing. Plus all my junk in the back now including blankets looks like trash haha.

You'll just have to trust me on this one haha TOTALLY worth it, zero complaints, best cheap mod for these trucks HANDS-DOWN! But if you feel pressed for time or lazy, just cut it...I almost had to cut it to fit without destroying the d-rings to begin with hahaha.

To the neighbors and dogs...I apologize for the insane amount of banging at 9 at night hahahaha. I heard the cops a couple times and thought they were coming for me

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep...cutting brackets is the best way, IMHO! Zero cost and just a little of my time? Oh, yeah!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I just hate chopping up new vehicles. Did it to my past camaro that thing was butchered haha. Def keeping this truck forever though but still.

Kimber45cdp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did this mod the other day. was wanting to stash my AR back there but there isnt enough room for it with the scope I have on it. Its always loaded with a mag in it. It would probably sit lower and fit if I took the mag out maybe. Didnt even try though.