For the guys who think deactivating the mds via a tune is a good idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is the MDS harness under the intake removed or left in place with plugs?
Thinking it may control phaser & other sensors
You can leave the harness in place if you want.On my truck we removed the harness though,and it's never caused me any issues.I think as long as you delete it in your tune,you'll never have any issues with removing the harness

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
50,000 miles on my truck without MDS being active and my engine is as quiet as a church mouse. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and make sure the level is at the top and if it happens to be a little over that's fine too.

I know there are a million theories on why these lifters might fail, and each person with the latest theory also just happens to have a product to fix it! Boy aren't we lucky they solved the issue and all we have to do is spend money on a new widget. :rolleyes:

P. T. Barnum was right.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
oh how do I wish I had gone non MDs but $ didn’t allow at the time. But after studying the oil passageways I definitely don’t defeat it. (we talked about this in my other thread. Pics included)

I part that sounder salesy to me was Saying that the solution is to buy the MMX delete kit.

Also they stated that the smaller bearing lifters didn’t deal well with the activation deactivation.It’s been shown in several people’s repairs that not only the MDS lifters are the ones that develop wear. Some members have had the wear occur on the non MDS lifter. / non mds cam lobes.

Also, it’s been stated on this forum many times that due to the angle of the lifters that even with the block offs, that it’s highly unlikely that oil draining down the lifter bore would reach the roller bearings.

Thinking about this more, have any stock non MDS 5.7s with pre “AD” part # lifters developed issues?
It's my understanding all the lifters use the same bearings whether they're mds or non-mds lifters. Personally i think the angle of the lifters in relation to the cam,is one of the big downfalls to the 09 and later Hemi's. Tom Hoover designed a valve train that's good to 8,000+ rpm,but he didn't do the average owner any real favours by doing that. Moving the cam even farther from the crank and sticking a VVT oil passage under it,wasn't the best idea in my opinion,with-out addressing the cams oiling issues. He should of designed an oil squirter similiar to the squirters that would spray a small stream of oil onto the cam lobes.He could of designed the block to have the VVT passage above the cam,and kept the cam closer to the crank,but that would also comprise the valve train geometery,to some extent,but on a stock engine that is only going to 5600 rpm at it's WOT shift point,would it have actually caused the averafe owner any issue,i kind of learn towards probably not. The other issue was the fact he spec'd a billet cam,but the bean counters killed that idea. With a good quality billet cam,and better valve springs,i would lay odds alot of the cam issues wouldn't be an issue,the after market has kind of proven that fact.
I've even thought of having a machine shop drill a small hole in the oil passage inline with each cam lobe.You'd have to design and build a drill guide that would fit the lifter bores,and then drill a hole inline with each lifter bore,and then run a higher volumn oil pump to compensate for the extra internal oil leak created. That ones just an idea i've had for a few years,but i've never really pursued it,past the idea stage.
The earlier pre-VVT hemis have the cam closer to the crank,with-out the VVT passage,and they don't have anywhere near the same amount of cam/lifter issues as the later 09 VVT engines have.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seems like 2 schools of thought on this. I personally think owning an 8 cylinder and having all 8 cylinders on all the time is the way to go. I believe having 4 off, and would be off a lot if you do a lot of local driving, can’t be good and would promote uneven wear. I have 114k mi on my truck, just had plugs replaced and they all came out looking pretty good with average wear so I’m sticking with turning it off every time I put the truck in drive. And I do notice a difference with it on and off. When I hit the gas, I want it to move not have to first open up the other 4 then get the full power.
That wear idea has never really been an issue,and is more an internet myth then anything. You'd see differant rod bearing and cylinder wall wear on tear down of a high milege engine,and nobody has ever found a differance in bearing or cylinder wall wear between the mds and non-mds cylinders on a high milege engine that's ran mds all it's life.
As i stated earlier the Hemi doesn't have rod / crank bearing or cylinder wall wear issues,but they do have cam and lifter issues,lol.The mds acts with-in milli seconds,the transmission is slower to downshift then the mds is upon activation.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe 5 hours total getting intake off & solenoids out & plugged.
Maybe longer with a bad back.......LoL
That's where you find a young guy and offer up beer to do the job,while you supervise,lol. Pulling the intake isn't really all that big of job in my opinion,but then again i've had several on and off,so it's nothing that bothers or scares me to do.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have heard talk of revised lifters around 2018 model year. Anyone know if these have the larger needle rollers?
Supposedly they changed in the 17 model year,my understanding is the 16's still used the older style,but the 17's had the revised versions,but it's something i've only heard through the rumour mill,never been able to prove it

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram is listening and has salved all the future cam issues. Starting in 2025, MDS will be no more (for our half ton friends). Permanent cylinder deactivation from 8 to 6.

I do apricate this information though. Personally ignorant to this.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I came across this article (or one very much like it) a while back. At first I bought his explanation. Sounded reasonable enough. But since then I've become more skeptical. Especially concerning 5th gens.

If they increased the needle bearing size in 2017, then the roller bearing failure design aspect has been removed from the author's equation. Leaving only the oiling aspect. On 5th gens, using tow/haul mode disables MDS. I think we can all agree that towing puts the most strain on the engine. Why would they design an engine to run in its most demanding mode with no oil going to lifters on half the cylinders? In addition, I've read claims that lifter failures occur on non-MDS lifters at pretty much the same rate as MDS lifters. Which should also be subject to the same scrutiny as the article Rick posted.

The problem for me is we're relying on other people's opinions about this instead of actual data. Maybe if I had the means (and motivation LOL) I'd do some of my own research. Since we put less than 5k miles on our 2020 Limited each year I doubt we'll need to worry about this issue anytime soon. I'm just saying not to blindly buy into an article that doesn't really provide any actual data, and the author fully admits that it's his opinion. I'd think Stellantis would have a vested interest in this and warn against disabling MDS. After all, they're on the hook if the lifter fails while under warranty (factory or extended). And if disabling MDS contributes to lifter wear I'm sure their design engineers would know that.

I can't say with any certainty whether the author is right or wrong, and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone to disable MDS or leave it on. I'm just saying to take these kinds of articles with a grain of salt, and make your own call on that. If someone can produce test results or other data to back up the author's claims I'd be very interested in seeing that.

Sorry for the long response. Wasn't my intention when I started typing LOL.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a Cam/Lifter job to do a a friends 2016 Rebel with 145xxxKM

Will be my first ever cam job using all the garbage OEM parts as hes selling it. Never thought in my life I would instal MDS lifters, If he wasnt my best friend I woulndt do it. :doublepuke::doublepuke::doublepuke::doublepuke:

Well TBH there will be lots of supervision, and zero photographic evidence of me holding new MDS lifters in my hands. :321:

And its not lifted, So it will be more work :manos:

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I came across this article (or one very much like it) a while back. At first I bought his explanation. Sounded reasonable enough. But since then I've become more skeptical. Especially concerning 5th gens.

If they increased the needle bearing size in 2017, then the roller bearing failure design aspect has been removed from the author's equation. Leaving only the oiling aspect. On 5th gens, using tow/haul mode disables MDS. I think we can all agree that towing puts the most strain on the engine. Why would they design an engine to run in its most demanding mode with no oil going to lifters on half the cylinders? In addition, I've read claims that lifter failures occur on non-MDS lifters at pretty much the same rate as MDS lifters. Which should also be subject to the same scrutiny as the article Rick posted.

The problem for me is we're relying on other people's opinions about this instead of actual data. Maybe if I had the means (and motivation LOL) I'd do some of my own research. Since we put less than 5k miles on our 2020 Limited each year I doubt we'll need to worry about this issue anytime soon. I'm just saying not to blindly buy into an article that doesn't really provide any actual data, and the author fully admits that it's his opinion. I'd think Stellantis would have a vested interest in this and warn against disabling MDS. After all, they're on the hook if the lifter fails while under warranty (factory or extended). And if disabling MDS contributes to lifter wear I'm sure their design engineers would know that.

I can't say with any certainty whether the author is right or wrong, and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone to disable MDS or leave it on. I'm just saying to take these kinds of articles with a grain of salt, and make your own call on that. If someone can produce test results or other data to back up the author's claims I'd be very interested in seeing that.

Sorry for the long response. Wasn't my intention when I started typing LOL.
Watch Reignited's video,it explains it even better then MMX's article does Mike. Common sense would tell you,that shutting off oil flow to the lifter bores isn't doing the lifters any good.The little bit of oil that does make it past the lifter and it's bore,and hopefully onto the cam lobe is going to be diminished.Remember the engine is only designed to run long enough to make it past the warrenty,after that the manufacture doesn't really care about the consumer.You'll also notice they used to have 100,000 mile warrenty,now its down to a 60,000 mile warrenty on the trucks.So instead of fixing known issues,they decided to drop the warrenty milege,and pass the buck onto the consumer. I have no skin in this game,all i'm trying to do is point out the obvious to alot of guys who'd never considered how the mds affects the oil flow path inside the hemi. My truck has been properly deleted,but my 2 cars that still have their original cams/lifters,still employ mds,and i could easily deactivate it on on both if i wanted,but that's not going to happen as long as i own them,or they still have their stock cams. I don't leave it activated for milege,i leave it activated for oil flow to the outside of the lifter,as lifter bore scoring is not something i'm interested in dealing with,and the fact there is going to be more flow past the lifter is not a bad thing.I also don't subscribe to the theory mds causes more wear on the engine,as that ones a myth and nobody has ever proven there's any more wear on the cylinders or bearings with or with-out mds. If you prefer to defeat mds everytime you drive the truck,that's your call,but at least you'll have learned a bit more about how the oil path operates in a Hemi

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
There ya go...just F_- N... my whole preach from the pulpit as I swing the good book of 'screw the lag and bog' proclaiming the benefits of disabling MDS from the gear selector....

I have blasphemed so much I feel h-_e.l.. L fire's warm embrace ;)
I shant anymore! :)

But seriously... I absolutely don't disagree with the actual metrics provided...truth be told!

However, for the life of me, I cannot stand the way the vehicle feels whatsoever when MDS is on. The lag and bog is unnerving to say the least, especially when I have my summer 35's on.

The way my truck reacts, especially when driving in traffic and low speed/low load situations, and then stepping on it from a slow speed as it try's to find itself the right cylinders and transmission gears to react accordingly.... UGH!!!!!!!!!

As for any semblance of fuel economic benefits; calling nonsense on it because I have done the on-road tests myself and there is no fuel savings to be had (at least not for me ;)).

Perhaps I was very fortunate with my then new 19' as I retired it at five years old and 160,000KM's and virtually never, ever ran it with MDS, and it was smooth as silk at all times.

Albeit, I was not one to really ever idle it, say for brief winter starts to get things circulating, and I used high end synthetic oil and filters, and top tier premium fuel as well. Did that contribute to its longevity and lack of tick; perhaps, or not at all, who knows?!

Maybe I just do what I've always done, and if the engine has an issue... well.... I now have a factory warranty for 90,000+KM's, so, they can replace it if it breaks ;)

Regardless, @Wild one - your due diligence, experience, and willingness to help others, as always, is truly appreciated!

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ram would never in a billion years allow the data on lifter and cam failures to become public, so you're stuck with the opinions of people willing to give them. I know of quite a few fleet trucks with 6.4's waiting on engines over this, and I'd never consider one because of it.

That said, I generally think that the most reliable a vehicle can ever be within the constraints of remaining legal to operate is the way it left the factory. They have great orders of magnitude more data than anyone else to make decisions with. The things that I build for a living, their reliability and longevity is inversely proportional to how many good ideas the owner comes up with.

If I had one, I'd leave it stock. If I were worried about it, I'd trade it in for something else that concerned me less.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There ya go...just F_- N... my whole preach from the pulpit as I swing the good book of 'screw the lag and bog' proclaiming the benefits of disabling MDS from the gear selector....

I have blasphemed so much I feel h-_e.l.. L fire's warm embrace ;)
I shant anymore! :)

But seriously... I absolutely don't disagree with the actual metrics provided...truth be told!

However, for the life of me, I cannot stand the way the vehicle feels whatsoever when MDS is on. The lag and bog is unnerving to say the least, especially when I have my summer 35's on.

The way my truck reacts, especially when driving in traffic and low speed/low load situations, and then stepping on it from a slow speed as it try's to find itself the right cylinders and transmission gears to react accordingly.... UGH!!!!!!!!!

As for any semblance of fuel economic benefits; calling nonsense on it because I have done the on-road tests myself and there is no fuel savings to be had (at least not for me ;)).

Perhaps I was very fortunate with my then new 19' as I retired it at five years old and 160,000KM's and virtually never, ever ran it with MDS, and it was smooth as silk at all times.

Albeit, I was not one to really ever idle it, say for brief winter starts to get things circulating, and I used high end synthetic oil and filters, and top tier premium fuel as well. Did that contribute to its longevity and lack of tick; perhaps, or not at all, who knows?!

Maybe I just do what I've always done, and if the engine has an issue... well.... I now have a factory warranty for 90,000+KM's, so, they can replace it if it breaks ;)

Regardless, @Wild one - your due diligence, experience, and willingness to help others, as always, is truly appreciated!
The whole purpose of this thread is to educate guys more then anything.I've been against defeating mds for a few years,but i usually get more static then anything. Hopefully when outfits like MMX and Re-ignited point out the downfalls,more guys will think about whether they want to defeat it everytime they drive their Hemi's.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amount of guys promoting turning MDS off everytime they drive their Hemi vehicles just floors me,hopefully a few of them will start to wise up,and give up on the practice,as they're not doing their hemi's any favours
so, disabling it at the steering wheel does more harm than good?

but, usually, it's only in ECO mode for a short time, so where is the issue with it? I've turned MDS off manually several times, so, am i getting oil on everything with it off?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
so, disabling it at the steering wheel does more harm than good?
Spend about 16 minutes watching Reigniteds video,it explains it pretty well,and you can draw your own conclusions from it.
Disabling it at the wheel,definitely isn't doing your lifters any good though.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
No possible way to look under intake with borescope to confirm MDS solenoids haven't been replaced with plugs I assume???

But then the cable is fed under & mice can get into chew so maybe you can?

Last edited: