For those with 32 gallon tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good luck with that. It's been brought up since 2009 by owners with 32 gallon tanks and hasn't been fixed.

Maybe something will change with 2019's coming out.

My trucks sticker was $63,250. So actually, you are correct, it is not a 60k truck, it is a 63k+ truck!! What it "cost" RAM to make the truck and how much profit or loss they make on it OR what I actually paid for it has no bearing on it. That fact is, it is a 60k+ truck, period.

And lets just say for a second for giggles the world agree's with you, and the truck is really only a $40k truck. So then that makes it ok for the fuel gauge to be programmed for 25 gallons when you paid for, and your documentation states it has a 32 gallon tank?? Ok, then how about even though your truck says it has 4 wheel disc anti-locking brakes, the fact is it didn't even come with brakes. You can't stop the truck unless you open the door and put your foot out and drag it on the ground. What's the problem, the truck eventially stops, so what they didn't install brakes after all we only have "40k" trucks, right?

It's a software bug plain and simple and it SHOULD, and I will bet you, WILL be fixed, period. Doesn't matter it's a 60k or 10k truck.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Good luck with that. It's been brought up since 2009 by owners with 32 gallon tanks and hasn't been fixed.

Maybe something will change with 2019's coming out.

If I had the 32 gallon tank, (I wish I did!), it would get fixed, trust me.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And lets just say for a second for giggles the world agree's with you, and the truck is really only a $40k truck. So then that makes it ok for the fuel gauge to be programmed for 25 gallons when you paid for, and your documentation states it has a 32 gallon tank?? Ok, then how about even though your truck says it has 4 wheel disc anti-locking brakes, the fact is it didn't even come with brakes. You can't stop the truck unless you open the door and put your foot out and drag it on the ground. What's the problem, the truck eventially stops, so what they didn't install brakes after all we only have "40k" trucks, right?

Your being dramatic. It would be more akin to having the said brakes that function normally but look like drum brakes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My apologies I work 12 hour days and keep forgetting once I leave work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I got under the truck yesterday and no decal. I am 100% there was a decal when I was under there putting my exhaust on. I guess it came off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What about those with 31gal tanks? Last year I purchased 17 2500 PW and have same problem I should be able to fill around 120l few time went over with display telling me that tank is empty but so far wasn’t able to fill it more then 95-98l, had my truck at dealer so mentioned that to them and they pulled out build sheet and it said 31Gal what mechanic verified by numbers on the tank. So I have asked them about star case letter posted here on which they replied well you have 31 so it doesn’t apply to your vehicle....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to add to the guys that have a working system. Mine is the 32 gal tank, according to the build sheet. Friday evening I put 28.98 gallons into it just as the DTE went from 12 miles to LOW FUEL. The most I have ever put in was 29.78 at a similar fuel level. I usually fill when the light comes on and averages around 26.5 to top it off. If there is a bug mine has either been fixed, or didn't have the problem. I have figured out over time what I CAN do as far as how the gauge reads, so whatever it's doing, I know what I can get out of it. Unlike my car, if the light comes on, you better be pulling into a station or looking for fuel, found this one out the hard way as well.

Just as a note, when the pump clicks off is when I stop. If I try to "top off" I will almost always overflow, learned this the hard way before deciding that it doesn't like to accept any more after it clicks off.

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The fact that Dodge cannot accurately gauge the fluid level in the same gas tank for over a decade terrifies me. The fact that they know, don’t care, yet have some gal post BS goals right out of reach year after year on this site infuriates me. You’ve blue balled me to death!

This is our proof. If they gave a damn they would have listened to us and fixed the issue sometime over l the last decade. It’s a simple enough issue that they could put two engineers on and be done with it in one day before lunch time. He’ll send me your programming code and I will fix it. Not the first ecu I’ve Reprogrammed.

The sad truth is that they will only listen to us if we either hurt their Pockets or if the courts step in. I’m getting to that point.

Ram...are...you...listening?

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2018 and mine is off as well, by about 5 gallons. No fix when i called the dealer.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did a 2400 mile trip . 2017 4x4 , cc, short of, 1500, hemi, 32 gallon tank.

I had this issue in the back of my mind , so there were 2 times that we got gas that I kinda did a quick figure on it.

Was averaging right around 16 mpg at 75-80mph.

We would get gas when the evic would say around 100 left.

One time the evic showed 98 miles left and I put a little over 26 gallons in. The other the evic showed 83 miles left and I put a little over 27 gallons in.

So atleast in my case it seems to be close enough for me.

But I did have a thought on this. This was a long trip and my average was constant. I'm wondering if the evic figures the miles till empty from a shorter time sample current/immediate mpg not a longer one.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
But I did have a thought on this. This was a long trip and my average was constant. I'm wondering if the evic figures the miles till empty from a shorter time sample current/immediate mpg not a longer one.

I'm convinced the DTE is calculated internally and not using any info displayed on the EVIC, like AVG MPG. It most likely keeps it's own AVG MPG and multiplies that by the estimated remaining fuel. Only because you can reset the values on your EVIC without the DTE figure changing.

The DTE in my '13 was atrocious. I'm certain the fuel gauge was programmed for a 26 gallon tank while my truck had a 32 gallon tank. On dead E after driving for 30-50 miles I could still only manage to get about 27 gallons in that tank. It was like that Seinfeld episode with Kramer on the test drive.

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a letter in the mail about this. Says to contact my local dealer to have my truck taken in to have the following updates performed:

1) Rotary shift knob- puts the vehicle in park if you exit while in drive.

2) Extra capacity fuel tank update- will now allow my truck to read the proper fuel level.

I might just cry...

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can try tomorrow. Can I attach here or do I need to host and link?

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I still think its a non issue....I have a 32 gallon tank and I have no idea whether mine has the "problem".
I honestly don't care.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I still think its a non issue....I have a 32 gallon tank and I have no idea whether mine has the "problem".
I honestly don't care.

We know you like going to the gas station, this thread is for people who do believe there is a problem. Honestly, if the remote start wasn't disabled when I still have over OVER 100 miles left in the tank I would not care.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
had my truck in for the recall last week. its all software base and the recall letter states that they "will improve gas gauge accuracy" or something to that effect.

so far ive noticed that my MPG - L/100km has been more accurate, also my 121L tank took ~108L today when filling up from "fuel low" reading. ive never gotten more than 100L. so far im a happy camper :happy107:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually dropped my truck off at the dealer Thursday morning for this and the fender flare replacement. Hoping they can update it. Its just an annoyance when you get to E, I constantly question whether or not I am that low or not.