Front end Alignment 02 dodge ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I'm being told by NTB that I can't get a front end Alignment for my 02 dodge ram because I don't have eccentric bolts.

I went to Goodyear and they stated it can be done, it's just harder. So I'm just a bit confused here, these trucks are built without eccentric bolts right? So does that mean they come off the line out of alignment?

Has anybody had this problem before or have any suggestions? Oh and NTB quoted me $795 to install the eccentric with alignment too. A bit ridiculous in my opinion.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
From a friend to a friend - stay away from NTB! Go to Firestone or a good automotive shop, I speak from with lots of experience with NTB. I think you're getting ****** around, you have to have the bolts to do an alignment. 02 was the first year of the 3rd Gen so I'm not positive, but I see no way to align it without. Firestone utilizes the Hunter alignment equipment which is the best on the market.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
From a friend to a friend - stay away from NTB! Go to Firestone or a good automotive shop, I speak from with lots of experience with NTB. I think you're getting ****** around, you have to have the bolts to do an alignment. 02 was the first year of the 3rd Gen so I'm not positive, but I see no way to align it without. Firestone utilizes the Hunter alignment equipment which is the best on the market.

Thanks, I appreciate that alot! So your saying I need the eccentric bolts to do the job right? How do they come off the line though when they are built? I'm not the first owner of my 02, I would like some feedback as to how long the original alignment last when the 02's were built. These guys are throwing bug dollars at me just for some bolts and install.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the difference between the 02 and 04? My truck aligned just fine, even with a 5" drop without the bolts. The upper mounts are slotted. The only thing that was not perfectly in specs was the caster and no one really cares about caster anyway.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What's the difference between the 02 and 04? My truck aligned just fine, even with a 5" drop without the bolts. The upper mounts are slotted. The only thing that was not perfectly in specs was the caster and no one really cares about caster anyway.

I'm not sure what the difference is. But sounds like your set up is the same. The upper control arms are held by two bolts going into a flange type bracket that's slotted.

Now which one is the caster?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Thanks, I appreciate that alot! So your saying I need the eccentric bolts to do the job right? How do they come off the line though when they are built? I'm not the first owner of my 02, I would like some feedback as to how long the original alignment last when the 02's were built. These guys are throwing bug dollars at me just for some bolts and install.
Sorry as I'm not as very much help, but you should already have them. I don't see how it was factory aligned without them.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure what the difference is. But sounds like your set up is the same. The upper control arms are held by two bolts going into a flange type bracket that's slotted.

Now which one is the caster?

Caster is simply an angle that describes the relation between the pivot point of the steering applied front to back.

Simply put, the more caster you have, the more the wheel self centers and the more stable the steering is at high speeds.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Caster is simply an angle that describes the relation between the pivot point of the steering applied front to back.

Simply put, the more caster you have, the more the wheel self centers and the more stable the steering is at high speeds.

Thanks for the response! So you drive a 04 ram, does your truck have eccentric bolts? What do you think about the situation on the 02's not having eccentric bolts.? It's like, something a buyer should know before they fall into a money pit just to get bolts to do some minor maintenance...

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response! So you drive a 04 ram, does your truck have eccentric bolts? What do you think about the situation on the 02's not having eccentric bolts.? It's like, something a buyer should know before they fall into a money pit just to get bolts to do some minor maintenance...

Mine does not have eccentric bolts and didn't need them at a 5" drop in the front. I think that you're being fed a bunch of B.S. because the eccentric bolts are only needed if they can't get the camber into spec because of modifications to the suspension. Normal adjustment can be done simple sliding the control arms in the slots. They don't allow much more adjustment either, usually about a degree, maybe 2 at the most. My plan was if they could not get my camber in spec, I would simply elongate the slots to allow for the proper adjustment.

I just don't see it being a big deal. Certainly nothing that a buyer should be aware of unless they plan on doing major suspension modifications.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine does not have eccentric bolts and didn't need them at a 5" drop in the front. I think that you're being fed a bunch of B.S. because the eccentric bolts are only needed if they can't get the camber into spec because of modifications to the suspension. Normal adjustment can be done simple sliding the control arms in the slots. They don't allow much more adjustment either, usually about a degree, maybe 2 at the most. My plan was if they could not get my camber in spec, I would simply elongate the slots to allow for the proper adjustment.

I just don't see it being a big deal. Certainly nothing that a buyer should be aware of unless they plan on doing major suspension modifications.

Wow man, thank you for the insight I really appreciate that. Now you talk about 5" drops and not needing it. Did you go with the lowered control arms ? I got a 3" drop on the rear and working my way to the front. I plan on getting that done real soon and definitely before the alignment. I'm gonna drop it at least 3" maybe 4"

Now does that change things as far as alignments? I do know these places will charge more if the truck is slammed.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow man, thank you for the insight I really appreciate that. Now you talk about 5" drops and not needing it. Did you go with the lowered control arms ? I got a 3" drop on the rear and working my way to the front. I plan on getting that done real soon and definitely before the alignment. I'm gonna drop it at least 3" maybe 4"

Now does that change things as far as alignments? I do know these places will charge more if the truck is slammed.

I have 3" springs and 2" spindles on mine. Mine aligned perfectly without any additional modifications, but I know of people who are dropped 4" that had to buy the bolts. I would personally just elongate the slots while I had the front end apart just to ensure there was no problem.