front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how hard are front shocks to replace on a 2009 1500 ram 2 wheel drive 4.7 liter. am old and don't know if i can do it. thnx in advance . JW

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
how hard are front shocks to replace on a 2009 1500 ram 2 wheel drive 4.7 liter. am old and don't know if i can do it. thnx in advance . JW
If you eat your wheaties not bad. If they have never been off and it's been in salt and a lot of miles you may be outmatched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it's lived in a non-salted area, which I assume based on your info, it should not be that bad. Sometimes you need to use a jack and block of wood to press the shock up so that you can seat the bottom area and get the bolts in. You don't want to rely on 1 or 2 threads of engagement to pull the shock in, that can strip the threads on the lower a-arm. The top sometimes has a lock nut that can make it a pain to get off but a ratcheting wrench makes a huge difference. Try not to spin the shaft as that is where the piston with seals attaches to.

Either way, spray the exposed threads with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench the day before you work on it.