Fuel additives and cleaners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you want a straight answer?

if you buy all that additive stuff, your truck will run very long.
if you don't buy all that additive stuff, you truck will run very long.
difference: the amount of money you have in your pocket.

everybody who tells you something different, just want to sell you that stuff.

Beautifully said.

I've actually seen the placebo effect of cleaning additives trash more more engines than anything. I've had customers add x, y, and z to their fuel or sucking the magic juice into the motor through a vac tube, because their vehicle was acting up.. They get their "good feeling" from the product(s) and head off to the track, only to finish off trashing their motor. Proper diagnosis and repair would have saved them from giving me thousands of dollars to fix their ****. But I guess I made out better from the former... lol

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beautifully said.

I've actually seen the placebo effect of cleaning additives trash more more engines than anything. I've had customers add x, y, and z to their fuel or sucking the magic juice into the motor through a vac tube, because their vehicle was acting up.. They get their "good feeling" from the product(s) and head off to the track, only to finish off trashing their motor. Proper diagnosis and repair would have saved them from giving me thousands of dollars to fix their ****. But I guess I made out better from the former... lol

thanks- finally somebody with common sense knowing something about reality.

brusk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It really depends. Seafoam can work wonders on outboard boat engines. Most of the engines I've seen that needed a good cleaning are owned by people that don't maintain their vehicle and wouldn't even consider some of these products. The best thing to do if your really that concerned with it would be to pull your injectors and intake off and check the valves and injector spray pattern.

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
I run a tank with the Lucas cleaner and upper lube right after each oil change and that's it. I've done that for years. Last vehicle I had I bought at 53K and traded at 238K miles, still ran very strong. Probably more of a feel good, but why quit now.

:winner_third_h4h:

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dumped a bottle of RP octane booster in the tank time will tell. Also use once and awhile Amsoil PI haven't noticed any difference. The only reason I used RP is have a tuner and it's set on Premium wanted more than 91 octane

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Using Shell has that much better than a local place? She'll is anywhere from 0.15-0.20 more per gallon.

No Chevron here...only other choices are BP and Exxon

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I feel like when you buy a very high mileage vehicle from people who didn't take care of the vehicle you can run a cleaner. Otherwise you know if its being abused.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
73k on my truck. Just did an oil change, air filter. Was still kind of down on power. Threw 1.5 bottle of the Lucas in the tank with a fill up. While running through that tank I actually could tell power was back and my fuel mileage went up a tick. Don't know if it was the Lucas or what, but something changed for the better.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Whenever I get really drunk I just pee in the tank. It has worked for me... the valves are spotless.